advertisement

Ryan Sound Lab Naim Preamp Plug-Ins Loaner Set

Jirka,

I will running the RLS boards through a 72 powered by a Naim Hicap with Les's TPR4 reg.

I'm hopeful this will be the end game.

Yes I will be keeping my SBLs.

Some thoughts

My set up is as follows
LP12/Ittok/Karma CD5/TPR Snaps
Hicap/CB 250/72
SBL

I mainly listen to vinyl with CD taking a back seat normally.

My first thought was to install the Z401 high-level gain cards.
The main reason being to see if they would improve from what
I would describe as a harsh sound that comes from my cd set up.
I was also looking to be able to turn the volume control more than
notch for normal listening level.

The first cd I tried was David Gary’s White Ladder, as this was one cd
that sounds very tinny/harsh and digital on my set up.
The new cards took away some of the harshness and the sound became a lot more
listenable, with greater separation on voice/instruments.
I turned the variable pots to 9, which gave me a usable volume control on CD

I removed these cards and tried the Z400 line level jumpers not quite the same
results so the Z401’s went back in.

Next step was to try the Z100 MC cards.
I was not sure if there was any change to the sound from the original Naim
Cards after listening to a few LP sides, so it was back in with the Naim mc cards.
(I will try these cards again after getting used to the new set up)

Next in were the Z200/Time aligned buffer/remote cards
This is when every thing comes together for both vinyl and cd playback.
The musical upgrade is apparent straight away.

IMO Cd performance has been taken to a different level with vinyl coming
behind slightly

On vinyl for example acoustic guitars had more of a natural rhythm
With playing having a greater presence in you room.
This was very evident on Springsteen’s Nebraska, an album which I have listened
to for many years

Cd has more of an analogue sound, which I now enjoy on my set up.
Rich clear vocals with depth are a stand out for me.

On the down side the state of some of my LP’s is now evident with more
Scratch/Pop sounds being picked up. !!!!!

Just a note that Gaius and I have swapped so that Colinb can make it over to my place. This means that FlatP will send to Gaius, and Jimbot 2.0 will now send to me.

Cheers

By request, I have switched the positions of ZK and Gaius in the lineup, plus added a new name at the end. The latest list is below. Note that the yellow box is the mail date at the end of the audition period.

Andrew, you're next....

Best regards,

Kit

LoanerSched5b.jpg

First my apologies to kit for taking so long to give some feedback about his Z401 cards. I will try to convey what i am hearing so bear with me.

The cards arrived about a month ago, prompt delivery and very well packaged. These are sitting in the phono section of my 32.5 and they are attenuated at #5 the rest of my system is as follows, Avondale 821A/Nap 160 bolt down/Teddy CapIII/SBL's/ 7M Runs of Blacklink into SBL's and Flashback/Tedddy Pardo cabling. My sources are a Rega Saturn and Planar 3/RB600/2Mbronze/ NJ MM cards
I really love my C.B. gear and have had it for about 5 years and over this time i have had a love hate relationship with the sound it produces. In that time i believe my taste has changed some and i have also constantly fought with the room i play my music in.
I suppose it could be said that i am no longer listening to 100% Naim but the signature is still there and there is still a definite monochromatic sound. What i feel i have managed to do is extract a more coherent and stable sound from my pre whenever i have introduced a new component.
First i replaced my internal cards for Neil Jadmans and sat there holding onto the edge of my seat grinning. The clarity, slam and attack was almost too much at times and the whole experience wanted you to rush through the recording to hear the next track and the next album, it did sometimes feel a little too much and i often found myself reaching for the volume control as i sought out perfect recordings that were more listenable. A suggestion here at PFM to put a few sheets of toilet roll over the SBL's tweeters actually helped tame my system.
I then put a Teddycap onto my pre to replace a recently serviced hi-cap and i liked what i heard, the reports of a more controlled sound were true and i was hearing so much more. Next i bought some Avondale 821A cards into my pre and once again felt that the sound was heading in the direction i was liking. The sound was more relaxed and this was more noticeable on cd's and with a slight increase in texture and tone, the overall sound was less fatiguing.
I still however felt that on certain cd recordings there was way too much harshness and extended listening could become tiresome and this was not the case with my vinyl set up. I then read about Kits' cards so ordered a pair and since installing them i feel that they have made as much of a contribution as each of the changes i have made in the past. I am hearing way deeper into the mix without analysing it, there is definitely a greater sound stage something i felt that i lost when i installed the 821A cards but the other benefits far outweighed this. There is more timbre and instruments seem to better placed within recordings and many an A/B test on vinyl/cd have made me have to lift the needle or press stop to work out which is which.
Overall i would say that my vinyl has it with vocals but i prefer the bass and mids on the digital side they are there in controlled spades.
So, all in all for $125 these have transformed the digital section of my system, i am really looking forward to auditioning the other cards that Kit has. It's late here now and i am listening to "Daddy G d.j. Kicks it sound very, very good.

By request, I have switched the positions of ZK and Gaius in the lineup, plus added a new name at the end. The latest list is below. Note that the yellow box is the mail date at the end of the audition period.

Andrew, you're next....

Best regards,

Kit

LoanerSched5b.jpg

Standing by!

Kit, I have a 32.5 for testing them but will they fit in a NAC12S, it takes the same daughter boards as the 32.5?

Mark

Gaius,

I've never seen a 12S but from the photos on the web it looks like there's a good chance they will work. The boards and their connector patterns look the same as more current ones. The spacing from the left side (looking from the front of the preamp) looks identical to that for my boards.

It appears that the phono boards are in back, the output amps are in the middle and the buffers are toward the front. You would use the time-aligned filter and remote control boards in the front 2 slots (doesn't matter which one goes in which slot). Since they are the same length to the left of the connectors as the originals, they should fit, with more sticking out to the right.

One thing I noticed in a review of the 12S is that it used a 30v power supply, instead of the 25v supply for the 32 and later NACs. While all the parts are rated OK for that higher voltage, I would recommend using a regular HiCap if you can (and the connector fits) to reduce the heat load on a few of the parts. Not a big concern, however.

Good luck!

Kit

Kit, I have a 32.5 for testing them but will they fit in a NAC12S, it takes the same daughter boards as the 32.5?

Mark

Gaius,

I've never seen a 12S but from the photos on the web it looks like there's a good chance they will work. The boards and their connector patterns look the same as more current ones. The spacing from the left side (looking from the front of the preamp) looks identical to that for my boards.

It appears that the phono boards are in back, the output amps are in the middle and the buffers are toward the front. You would use the time-aligned filter and remote control boards in the front 2 slots (doesn't matter which one goes in which slot). Since they are the same length to the left of the connectors as the originals, they should fit, with more sticking out to the right.

One thing I noticed in a review of the 12S is that it used a 30v power supply, instead of the 25v supply for the 32 and later NACs. While all the parts are rated OK for that higher voltage, I would recommend using a regular HiCap if you can (and the connector fits) to reduce the heat load on a few of the parts. Not a big concern, however.

Good luck!

Kit

This sound very promising Kit, the NAC 12 being the dogs bollox!

I was just a little concerned about space inside, not yet having seen your boards.

The Hicap feeding it has the Avondale TPR4 reg; I think we'll be OK.

After you then Flat.

Mark

The king is dead (FlatNAC72), long live the king (72 with RSL cards).

Full review soon but suffice to say these are of the same order of improvement as the RadiKal in my system.

I'm buying some.

advertisement

Back