advertisement

Ryan Sound Lab Naim Preamp Plug-Ins Loaner Set

RyanSoundLab

Trade: Ryan Sound Lab
logo-752x111.jpg

Based on suggestions from other threads, I'm willing to circulate a set of my MusicPower plug-ins to the UK where it is otherwise difficult to audition them. These boards fit the 32.5 and 72 preamps and, with some restrictions, the original 32 preamp (they preclude use of the Tape Output buffers on that unit).

The set would include almost everything I make: Z200 Output Amps (replace 321), Z301 Time-Aligned Circuit (replaces 729), Z302 Remote Volume Control (replaces one 729 slot), Z400 High Level Jumpers (replace 326), Z401 Variable High Level Inputs (replace 326 or 328), and Z100 MC Phono inputs (replace 323 K). I could even include the Z102 MM Phono plug-ins if there's interest. This would be a fully burned-in set from the beginning. An instruction/information manual would also be included although it's also available on-line at www.ryansoundlab.com. Here are photos of most of what would be circulated:

RemoteSet339x260.jpg

Z100-263x221.jpg

I'm thinking about what the "rules" should be. Here are my initial ideas:
1. Audition time: - is 1 weekend enough? Problem is that 2 weekends means very slow circulation and long wait times for people down the list.
2. Availability: if you're going to be out of town for your original weekend, you will get bumped down the list one slot or until you return.
3. Mailing: The complete package to be mailed the Monday following the audition to the next person, so they get it in time for the following weekend. Will the UK mail system support delivery in 3-4 days? What level of parcel shipping is appropriate for that? Package to be insured. I will notify the current auditioner of the next name/address.
4. Feedback: Each auditioner would write a few words in this forum about his experience so we all can learn and/or appreciate what they hear (or the mechanics of the circulation itself).

What do you all think? Anything else to consider?

Before I start taking names, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have. Then I'll need complete names, addresses, emails, and PFM identification names. I will send out another notice on that soon. In the meantime, I'll put a set of boards in my system to burn in.

Best regards,

Kit Ryan
Ryan Sound Lab

Sounds like a great idea Kit - and one I'd certainly like to take advantage of!
I ended up buying a set of NJ Boards after his loaner program, which worked very well.
Royal Mail Special Next Day Delivery before 1pm would cost about £7 and provide up to £500 insurance.
This should allow a weekend and the best part of the week to audition.
Should be able to track the boards whereabouts and movements through forum postings.

Bring it on!
Mark

Be aware that some posters have bad form in not passing on demo units in a timely fashion. Worth investigating their track history before adding people to the list.

Sounds like a great idea Kit - and one I'd certainly like to take advantage of!
I ended up buying a set of NJ Boards after his loaner program, which worked very well.
Royal Mail Special Next Day Delivery before 1pm would cost about £7 and provide up to £500 insurance.
This should allow a weekend and the best part of the week to audition.
Should be able to track the boards whereabouts and movements through forum postings.

Bring it on!
Mark

Yes, this is the way to go, RMSD being THE best service in the UK.

Put me on the list Kit!

Regards,

Mark

You could also ask those making use of the offer to host other PFM members to come and listen, which could give wider exposure.

I'm interested in hearing these. I might be able to host in the S.W. London/Surrey boarders area, but if not I'd be happy to bring my tweaked NJ boards along to compare if somebody else is happy to host in the London area.

I'm interested in hearing these. I might be able to host in the S.W. London/Surrey boarders area, but if not I'd be happy to bring my tweaked NJ boards along to compare if somebody else is happy to host in the London area.

Yes, good idea, I'm Surrey/SW London too...

What a good idea to try to get like-minded people together. Over here it's really hard to find other Naim aficionados and others so dedicated to sound/DIY. And by all means, do comparisons with other boards.

Based on all this positive feedback, I'll put out a new thread shortly asking for names.

Best regards,

Kit

Hey that's almost an anagram of Naim - or the Gaelic variation ;)

My 160 shall shortly be replaced by an HNAP, and then I shall be mostly Naimless; the Stageline to be later replaced by the Paradise phono stage with pre-regulator.

I could host a listening session at mine if anyone thinks that a good idea.

Andrew,

Your offer is much appreciated. I'm thinking that these "gatherings" are a great idea and should get preference in the routing. First on the list would likely be Gaius in London, then you in the North. I will mention this idea in my "call for names" to encourage others to do the same.

Best regards,

Kit

Great idea

Count me in , I have a standard 72 and am thinking of boards ... Still!

I could host too. Im in south notts

Mike

I could take my 72 to Andrew's (flatpopely's) do - could also take my upgraded NJ cards. I don't even need Kit's loaner set as I already own a set of them :).

I could take my 72 to Andrew's (flatpopely's) do - could also take my upgraded NJ cards. I don't even need Kit's loaner set as I already own a set of them :).

That's a good idea as we then have the option of comparing a locally regulated 72 with yours.

A Saturday in May may be good as the weather might be better and I can break out the BBQ!

advertisement

Back