advertisement

Ruark Accolades

Eoin

pfm Member
Any experience?

Considering a speaker change. I’ve been suggested Ruark Crusaders, I notice Accolades are not dissimilar..

Room is 4m by 4.5m, amp is a Quad 606. Currently on Monitor Audio RS8.

They seem thin on the ground.

I've had the Crusader mk 3 for about 10 years but like the mk 2 version and the bigger Accolades they are quite rare on the used market.
If you see any grab em.

I've heard the Accolades once but I wasn't very impressed. I'm not a fan of Ruark speakers in general but lots of people like them.

What did you find or notice on them?

I thought they sounded quite shut-in, which was surprising for such a big speaker, and I didn't find the tonal balance very natural. The treble especially sounded glassy. It was in someone's house with a system I wasn't familiar with so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I had a pair of Sabres here for a while, they were in the kitchen. I didn't think they sounded very great but they looked nice with their real wood veneer. Eventually they were replaced by a tatty pair of Mordant Shorts which sounded a lot better and would have been much cheaper in the day.

I've also heard the Talisman and Equinox and I didn't like them either. They all seem to have a distinct family sound.

That is absolutely not my experience of Ruark speakers. They are very well made, are musically engaging, have great bass and hence convey rhythms really well. Ttey tread a fantastic line between detail and refinement, rarely sounding bright or harsh. They also respond well to upgrades elsewhere in the system.

I owned Talisman 2’s for ten years partnered to my Naim NAC72/HiCap/NAP250, I have heard them regularly in friends systems (Exposure and Onix amps) and used to hear the Swordsman/Sabre/Talisman’s regularly in Chris Harris’s shop when I used to help out there.

Anyway Eoin, you know that which is why I recommended them!

I’m not so sure Accolades would be the right choice for you though, although the do represent cracking value if you compare them to the likes of ATC SCM50/100’s.

The main thing you have to watch out for is the deterioration of the Dynaudio 10" bass drivers- I've seen a few pairs with wrecked woofers.

Always wanted to hear these. I have a brochure somewhere.

There’s a set on Facebook marketplace semi local Poole, but black which isn’t ideal.

Definitely has a dent. Easily done with those big soft domes.

They've sold on here for £700 ish plenty of times so its about the going rate but you can make an offer.

The previous pair on ebay, which had better looking mids but less good cabs went for £600.

As it happens I am going to a friends house to hear his pair on Thursday. He has a good set of ears and only moved from ESL63's due to the size of his listening room.
He bought them from another friend who moved to Excaliburs. Have heard them a couple of times and they are some pair of speakers. Huge sound stage and I thought they sounded fantastic.
Think they are hard to come by but if I had the space I would certainly be prepared to try a pair.

As it happens I am going to a friends house to hear his pair on Thursday. He has a good set of ears and only moved from ESL63's due to the size of his listening room.
He bought them from another friend who moved to Excaliburs. Have heard them a couple of times and they are some pair of speakers. Huge sound stage and I thought they sounded fantastic.
Think they are hard to come by but if I had the space I would certainly be prepared to try a pair.

Are we speaking of Accolades or Crusaders- the conversation has veered between both.

That is absolutely not my experience of Ruark speakers. They are very well made, are musically engaging, have great bass and hence convey rhythms really well. Ttey tread a fantastic line between detail and refinement, rarely sounding bright or harsh. They also respond well to upgrades elsewhere in the system.

I owned Talisman 2’s for ten years partnered to my Naim NAC72/HiCap/NAP250, I have heard them regularly in friends systems (Exposure and Onix amps) and used to hear the Swordsman/Sabre/Talisman’s regularly in Chris Harris’s shop when I used to help out there.

Anyway Eoin, you know that which is why I recommended them!

I’m not so sure Accolades would be the right choice for you though, although the do represent cracking value if you compare them to the likes of ATC SCM50/100’s.
I hadn't fully read this thread and missed your post. Your description above I would wholeheartedly concur with. The Excaliburs I heard were top notch. We spent an evening trying out various preamps (All DIY DHT and smaller valves) and the differences in presentation were clearly defined by the Excaliburs. The sound was like sitting in a perfect concert hall where you are getting that full live experience but with every instrument and vocal perfectly presented. Not harsh or soft just as outlined by @JezmondTutu above 'treading a fantastic line between detail and refinement' I know he got them for a great price. To my ears they sounded as good as the best rooms in Munich for beer bucks money.

advertisement

Back