advertisement

RSD profiteers

Is this the record companies who've worked out they can charge silly money if they slap a RSD sticker on an album?

It’s people who clearly drive round record shops, buy the titles they think they can make money on and immediately flog them on eBay at an enormous profit

£28 on RSD

C03E349F-18E4-4BDC-8B85-2DE99BA65DA5.jpeg

img

That seems to be a big part of the current Vinyl Record buying, capitalist motivation, with RSD issues, limited editions, obviously some people are motivated to buy to make money rather than buying to listen or add to a collection.
I guess that's the downside of records becoming fashionable again, although it's made buying Lps easier or better availability it's brought a rise in prices and a lucrative pastime for the bread heads.

Achieved prices are currently rather lower on Discogs. They pressed 12,000 copies - it's entirely possible daft Ebay prices will start to tail off.

5Wk64KM.png

They pressed 12,000 copies - it's entirely possible daft Ebay prices will start to tail off.

I don’t care who the band is, 12,000 copies is not a limited edition! This always surprises me with RSD, so much is not limited in any real sense at all. If you want to take a punt on rare albums far better to keep an eye on new releases from new bands on Bandcamp, Rough Trade, Bleep etc as they regularly have unique issues of 500 or less up for grabs.

I was listing some old Siouxsie and the Banshees singles on Discogs the other day and one of them was a limited edition of 50,000.

Vinyl sales were very different back then what with it being the main music format. Even so may punk, new-wave, ‘80s Peel favs etc only released 500-2000 copies of a title, and it is these which tend to have a price tag today. Same thing with the outer-reaches of prog etc, there won’t have been more than a thousand or two of the more obscure Vertigo, Harvest, Dawn, Deram etc titles, likely a lot less of some.

With regard to RSD I bought the two Steely Dan reissues at the first drop, but did so because I wanted them, they are not limited to my mind and I bet you could still find a new sealed copy in some shops now with a bit of searching. For rare and collectable far better to look at say Utopia Strong’s hand-printed bandcamp issues (numbered, signed, 250 issues), Bleep’s blue vinyl issue of the Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders album (500) etc. Those have legitimately tripled in value as they are genuinely rare.

I've never bothered with RSD, so may not understand the mechanics properly, but don't really understand the angst about profiteering. If you really, really want a particular title, presumably you'd queue up for it. If you weren't prepared to do so, you'll need to pay a bit more.

I've never bothered with RSD, so may not understand the mechanics properly, but don't really understand the angst about profiteering. If you really, really want a particular title, presumably you'd queue up for it. If you weren't prepared to do so, you'll need to pay a bit more.
Queuing up doesn't guarantee you anything. The guy in front and his pals are likely to hoover up the stuff that's going to sell well which puts the buyer back at the mercy of the resellers.

It’s people who clearly drive round record shops, buy the titles they think they can make money on and immediately flog them on eBay at an enormous profit

Not just RSD. With many of these limited edition/coloured/special artwork releases are hoovered up by unscrupulous sharks often buying up as many copies of the same release as they can solely for the purpose of limiting supply and therefore artificially inflating the prices.
I gave up buying new records in 2015, the writing was on the wall then, regularly picking up records that inexplicably shot up in price before they were even delivered. Bastards.

There are always far more records to buy than I have funds so I generally don't mind too much if I miss out - there's always something else I can blow my readies on.

More frustrating is when you set the alarm, snag one of the last copies of a release on Bandcamp ...and then it goes missing in the post :(

For rare and collectable far better to look at say Utopia Strong’s hand-printed bandcamp issues (numbered, signed, 250 issues), Bleep’s blue vinyl issue of the Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders album (500) etc. Those have legitimately tripled in value as they are genuinely rare.

Just to give another example of what a limited edition is to my mind, as opposed to the huge issue numbers RSD think it is, I successfully bagged a copy of this Korb/Kombynat Robotron charity split 10” tonight. Quality psych/Krautrock stuff in an edition of just 75 which sold-out in just 2 minutes.

PS My iPad speed clicking is now at Olympics level.

advertisement

Back