advertisement

Room correction

I was told that the leaves absorb sound and have ordered a bunch of Aloe Vera small plants. They sure make the room look nicer but I was really hoping that they along with the sand/mud act as absorbers.. Atleast I will a little more oxygen during the day...

Usually, disturbing bass problems are to do with behaviour that's erratic by frequency.

When you try to dampen bass wide-band, it remains as erratic.

Probably the most effective thing is playing with listener position, followed by speaker position. This involves trade-offs.

- I use tuned bass absorbers. These help a bit, but realistically only give you a bit more wiggle room to resolve the positioning trade-offs (won't fix bass problems for all listener/speaker positions).

- I don't use room correction but many do. Again this will address specific frequencies, and be optimised for one listener area.

Either way, measurements are needed so you can target the problem frequencies accurately. Making bass more uniform by frequency is usually the right priority, so focus on things other than generic bass traps.

Last edited:
I was told that the leaves absorb sound and have ordered a bunch of Aloe Vera small plants. They sure make the room look nicer but I was really hoping that they along with the sand/mud act as absorbers.. Atleast I will a little more oxygen during the day...
You need big things to absorb sound, sofas, curtains, carpets, bookshelves, chairs. A plant will do very little, it’s just too small, you’ll maybe a get tiny bit of diffusion. A few large floor to ceiling tree trunks would be quite good diffusers at some frequencies though!

It depends what you use at home.

If you have multiple sources then something from miniDSP between your pre and power amp allows you to convert everything to digital, perform EQ and convert back to analogue. I have a hard time accepting the approach, but I'm assured the benefits outweigh the costs significantly.

(Alternatively there is a nice Monacor allDSP unit in the classifieds - Cooky is selling it.)

Or, a more powerful solution is to perform the EQ entirely in the digital domain, in a computer prior to a DAC. Roon (for example) would allow you to insert the correction into the playback chain prior to the DAC. Not quite sure how that might work with multiple sources though.

I am still mulling over possible connection diagrams in my mind.
JRiver also has parametric equalisation etc. Is Roon’s room correction more sophisticated than JRiver? In JRiver you have to plumb in the ‘Q ‘ value as well as specify the attenuation applied to a given frequency. Does REW calculate ‘Q’?

JRiver also has parametric equalisation etc. Is Roon’s room correction more sophisticated than JRiver? In JRiver you have to plumb in the ‘Q ‘ value as well as specify the attenuation applied to a given frequency. Does REW calculate ‘Q’?

Roon has parametric EQ and convolution. REW calculates Q, gain and centre frequency for each filter.

Roon has parametric EQ and convolution. REW calculates Q, gain and centre frequency for each filter.
Thanks folks. REW calculating Q is useful. JRiver has convolution as well. I have a pair of 'vintage' Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders that can't be used in my appalling L shaped room as there are more peaks and troughs than the Himalayas. The bass sounds aweful, while a pair of Harbeth M30.1s are just about Ok. All that remains is for me to buy a new laptop, download REW and get on with it.........

advertisement

Back