advertisement

Room correction

I had nervosa about any dsp and room correction but after messing for a long time getting subs to work the analog way i finally went with a dsp solution. Doing it all in the digital domain and it’s better than i ever could’ve imagined. All nervosa gone and just enjoying the music. Using Dirac on a minidsp SHD studio btw.

Have used DIRAC via minidsp, Room EQ, now using Dspeaker antimode 2.0 - have found it most satisfactory and foolproof of all options tried thus far.

I had nervosa about any dsp and room correction but after messing for a long time getting subs to work the analog way i finally went with a dsp solution. Doing it all in the digital domain and it’s better than i ever could’ve imagined. All nervosa gone and just enjoying the music. Using Dirac on a minidsp SHD studio btw.

You've found a cure for nervosa? Can you bottle it?

It depends what you use at home.

If you have multiple sources then something from miniDSP between your pre and power amp allows you to convert everything to digital, perform EQ and convert back to analogue. I have a hard time accepting the approach, but I'm assured the benefits outweigh the costs significantly.

I too have a hard time accepting the approach.

What I would like to know is can you 'hear' the miniDSP or similar EQ hardware between your pre and power, does it change the sound in any way or will a system sound the exactly the same with just whatever correction is required?
Is it not rather treating the symptom than the cause? If room correction is required why not correct or treat the room?

What I would like to know is can you 'hear' the miniDSP or similar EQ hardware between your pre and power, does it change the sound in any way or will a system sound the exactly the same with just whatever correction is required?

I use a MiniDSP SHD as a pre amp, into D&D 8c speakers. Lee from Strictly Stereo visited and walked me thru his room correction software, and the filters were actually applied in the SHD(I could have had them inputted into the speakers, but realistically there was no need).

The SHD is further configured so I can switch between DIRAC or not, with the same filters. I actually prefer the DIRAC setting. Not sure why - perhaps I've just got used to it.

Sound quality - I went to this set up from a full Naim rig(CDS3/252/Scap2/250-2), and do not regret it. I compared the SHD to a Linn Akurate costing 4 times more. Sure, the Akurate sounded better, but the SHD is no slouch.

I too have a hard time accepting the approach.

Is it not rather treating the symptom than the cause? If room correction is required why not correct or treat the room?
In many, if not most, domestic hi-fi systems it's just not feasible to properly treat the room. Dirac is a very sophisticated bit of software, and is relatively easy to use. I had Dirac with a previous MiniDSP unit, and as part of the Amarra player on my Mac. I now use it on my 7.1.4 Atmos surround system, and with the latter, when you're trying to set up twelve speakers in a room, it's pretty well essential. It's one of those things you need to try before forming a judgement on whether you'll benefit from it, but it sure worked in my room, which I think's pretty benign.

Always been betwixt and between on this issue. Starting from a blank canvas then I would try to design the room to deal with room modes and the many orders of reflection, etc. At some point I am hoping to build a listening room with no hindernace on design, development; other than its size.

If you want to get to the nuts and bolts of acoustics then try: Master Handbook of Acoustics Sixth Edition (Its heavy going). Brilliant book.

My current listening room uses a mixture of tri-trap absorbers (some with diffraction others without), absorbtion panels on the projecting and listening wall with diffraction and just absorbtion panels for 1st/2nd order reflection on the sides. Its the best I've ever heard my system; though I would have loved to still own the Dynaudio C2's too hear the presentation. I listen to music load. I could go further still, but I don't want to overly damp the room; I prefer quite a lively sound.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks @Andrew C! and @Suffolk Tony

Really what I wanted to know if placing the miniDSP or other similar hardware between an analogue source & preamp and power amp am I going to 'hear' it or is my system just going to sound the same with whatever correction the digital EQ is making.

Really what I wanted to know if placing the miniDSP or other similar hardware between an analogue source & preamp and power amp am I going to 'hear' it or is my system just going to sound the same with whatever correction the digital EQ is making.

I think you are in the UK - if so several dealers will loan or buy/return this type of kit. If you get your room measured, the dealer can also remotely update the MiniDSP(with a little help from a couple of apps)

You lose nothing trying a home demo of this, and stand everything to gain.:D

It depends on which miniDSP unit you use and what filters you choose to apply with it. The pricier miniDSP options use higher quality AD and DA converters, which makes them quieter and therefore more transparent than the budget options. The measured performance of the top miniDSP SHD compares favourably to similarly priced two channel DACs, which is to say that it is very good indeed. You also have a lot of flexibility when it comes to the filters you use and your choice of filters will certainly affect the sound. You can use a light touch just to correct the worst acoustic problems or you can change the tone of your speakers altogether, within certain reasonable limits. It is entirely your choice.

Personally, I've used both HW solutions and SW solutions. I'd recommend software solutions: cheaper and you can switch electronics with no issue. Updates aslo easily avialable.
I'm using Audiolense, which isn't free but does a great job. There are three versions: once does basic frequency based room correction; another also does multichannel, and a third does frequency based correction, time aligns the drivers, and allows for digital crossovers.
Another advantage of SW based DRC is that you can measure more than one system and have multiple RC solutions in different rooms. In addition, in a program like Roon, you can apply over 65000 taps in your correction. The HW based DRC preamps/speakers never have enough computing power built in to come close to that. More taps means more accurate, better sounding correction.

See, this, as it gives a good overview:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/what-is-accurate-sound-r923/

I have 6 home made bass traps in my room.
Very happy with the clarity and lack of “muddy” bass.

I wonder if anyone offers room surveys? (Similar to home tv calibration)

That sounds very interesting @Strictly Stereo
That all sounds quite complex @firedog
I think some of the pro places for room treatments & acoustics offer room surveys, I'm sure it's not cheap though.

I've always tried to use speakers that are not too big for a room generally in free space but a near field listening position and furnish to try and avoid reflections and I suppose to absorb as well, generally starting with an empty-ish, generally quite 'bright' room and work from there, adding soft furnishings, heavy curtains, wall hangings, etc There's definitely an improvement or difference can be made with these practical measures, I suppose a real test of the various eq systems would be to try it in a highly reflective surfaced room, sparsely furnished.
Definitely something I'd like to try or investigate further at some point.

That sounds very interesting @Strictly Stereo
That all sounds quite complex @firedog
I think some of the pro places for room treatments & acoustics offer room surveys, I'm sure it's not cheap though.

I've always tried to use speakers that are not too big for a room generally in free space but a near field listening position and furnish to try and avoid reflections and I suppose to absorb as well, generally starting with an empty-ish, generally quite 'bright' room and work from there, adding soft furnishings, heavy curtains, wall hangings, etc There's definitely an improvement or difference can be made with these practical measures, I suppose a real test of the various eq systems would be to try it in a highly reflective surfaced room, sparsely furnished.
Definitely something I'd like to try or investigate further at some point.

More complex in the explanation than it is applying it with well written software.

I have 6 home made bass traps in my room.
Very happy with the clarity and lack of “muddy” bass.

I wonder if anyone offers room surveys? (Similar to home tv calibration)
Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but see:
https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com
https://accuratesound.ca/

both the above are consultants who will help you measure and correct your Room remotely.
The DEQX company will run your measurements and create correction files for you if you buy one of their HW RC units.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but see:
https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com
https://accuratesound.ca/

both the above are consultants who will help you measure and correct your Room remotely.
The DEQX company will run your measurements and create correction files for you if you buy one of their HW RC units.
Thanks for the info

I was wondering if there were consultants who offered the service of coming to your listening room, taking a survey of the room and producing a report of their findings with recommendations. (Obviously social distancing etc interfering)

I would say yes. An adc/dac loop is probably audibly transparent, particularly when placed after an analogue source. Ivor Tiefenbrun famously couldn’t detect one at the end of an LP12, back in the digital dark ages.
I can’t hear the DSPeaker after my Thorens TD160 but that said I have a modest phono pre, bad hearing and no taste.

Silly question but do potted plants/sand in the pots help in low frequency absorption?

Potted plants will have zero acoustical affect. They will, however, make for a much nicer listening environment which may allow you to enjoy the music more. Pot plants can have other nice affects, I've been told.

advertisement

Back