advertisement

Roksan Caspian M2 + ATC SCM40 = Big mistake

lukanio63

Hi! I'm in need of some advise. I own the roksan caspian m2 set up- integrated, power amp and cd player. I was running MA RX6 speakers with it but I felt that the speakers are not a great match for the amp. The sound was ok but not detailed enough and vocals were sometimes a bit harsh, especially female vocals. Having read lots of reviews I decided to upgrade my speakers and I got myself a pair of ATC SCM40's. The result is terrible. The vocals are even more harsh than before! The sound is more detailed and I quite like the low end that is produced by the speakers but there is far too much of the hights.
Could you please recommend perfect speaker match for the caspian m2 amps? Or perhaps different amp for my ATC's? I can not stand the vocals that are being produced right now. Please note I can only afford a second hand gear.
Best regards,
Lucas

How loud do you listen and what do you listen to. And how big is the room and where are the speakers and chair?

You might like to try an Arcam FMJA32, which sell for around £500 s/h, have plenty of grunt, and also have tone controls, so if its shrill, (which i doubt) you can reduce the hf a little.

Rocksan amps i have always found to be harsh and forward.i would look at quad 606 avi s2000 series great match or one of atcs own

You might like to try an Arcam FMJA32, which sell for around £500 s/h, have plenty of grunt, and also have tone controls, so if its shrill, (which i doubt) you can reduce the hf a little.
Thanks, I will add this to my hot list if decide to replace the amp.

How loud do you listen and what do you listen to. And how big is the room and where are the speakers and chair?
Most of the time I listen to it at very moderate / low volume levels. The room is about 3.5mx4.5m. Speakers are opposite the sofa close to the walls.

Get some Isobariks. This is a joke, btw. I think you have a problem higher up the chain.
What do you mean?

Rocksan amps i have always found to be harsh and forward.i would look at quad 606 avi s2000 series great match or one of atcs own
Thanks for the suggestion. Will certainly consider it if decide to replace the amp.

Did you buy these blind? If you demoed what were they paired with and what did you think then?
Unfortunately I did. That's because I had a chance to get them for a really good price. After reading many review I thought I can not go wrong buying these but it turns out I was very wrong.

Are the speakers 'toed in' if they are try turning them so they face straight down the room,also do you sit with your head close to a wall?
Keith.

To my mind, there is nothing wrong with the Caspian M2, I have the M2 integrated and M2 CD player myself! They replaced a half decent Naim system - nac202/napsc/hcap2/nap200/cd5x/fcap2! I found the naim too harsh and although I loved the dynamics and mid-range, I found I had headaches after a few hours and only played certain discs that sounded really good! Other cd's I played once only and some only a few songs, due to the "harsh" top end!
I demoed lots and found the Roksan gave me the dynamics, better controlled bass and not as "harsh" - do miss some mid-range definition though!
My speakers are Wilson Benesch Arc's and I use van damme 6mm hi fi speaker cable. My room is a bit smaller than yours! I did use chord signature at one time and tellurium q black, but found the van Damme just as good!
I have not heard your speakers, but I am convinced your front end and amps are fine, it must be the speakers!
That said, if you decide to get rid of the power amp, you can always PM me!��

I demoed the roksan caspian set up on a few occasions and found it very good especially the cd player this was using proac and pmc speakers . It does appear you are not getting the sound you personally want , I would deceide whether you prefer the presentation of the amp or speakers and build a system round your choice . I would also suggest you need to try a few options at home so essential to find a helpful dealer

Are the speakers 'toed in' if they are try turning them so they face straight down the room,also do you sit with your head close to a wall?
Keith.
I have tried different positioning with no results, but thanks for the suggestion

To my mind, there is nothing wrong with the Caspian M2, I have the M2 integrated and M2 CD player myself! They replaced a half decent Naim system - nac202/napsc/hcap2/nap200/cd5x/fcap2! I found the naim too harsh and although I loved the dynamics and mid-range, I found I had headaches after a few hours and only played certain discs that sounded really good! Other cd's I played once only and some only a few songs, due to the "harsh" top end!
I demoed lots and found the Roksan gave me the dynamics, better controlled bass and not as "harsh" - do miss some mid-range definition though!
My speakers are Wilson Benesch Arc's and I use van damme 6mm hi fi speaker cable. My room is a bit smaller than yours! I did use chord signature at one time and tellurium q black, but found the van Damme just as good!
I have not heard your speakers, but I am convinced your front end and amps are fine, it must be the speakers!
That said, if you decide to get rid of the power amp, you can always PM me!��
Well, that was my first thought- there must be something wrong with the speakers, but they are highly regarded by many that is why I'm so confused and don't know what to do.

I demoed the roksan caspian set up on a few occasions and found it very good especially the cd player this was using proac and pmc speakers . It does appear you are not getting the sound you personally want , I would deceide whether you prefer the presentation of the amp or speakers and build a system round your choice . I would also suggest you need to try a few options at home so essential to find a helpful dealer
Would you recommend any specific speakers for m2 series or the amp for ATC's?

And your room is it traditionally furnished, bare walls or a large expanse of glass can bounce HF around longer than would be ideal.
Keith.

I could not make any suggestions regarding the atcs as I have no experience of them , I liked proac and pmc with the caspian also dali could work though not tried them with caspian . I definately think you need to some options at home to see if you can find the sound you are after

advertisement

Back