advertisement

Roksan Caspian M2 + ATC SCM40 = Big mistake

I would second the suggestion to look at source & room for issue

But I would in generel not use passive ATC unless mega poweramp available, active ATC are so much better but I guess not a solution for OP

Maybe a phone call to ATC is worth a try. They're very helpful by all accounts.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out.

Rich

Hi! I'm in need of some advise. I own the roksan caspian m2 set up- integrated, power amp and cd player. I was running MA RX6 speakers with it but I felt that the speakers are not a great match for the amp. The sound was ok but not detailed enough and vocals were sometimes a bit harsh, especially female vocals. Having read lots of reviews I decided to upgrade my speakers and I got myself a pair of ATC SCM40's. The result is terrible. The vocals are even more harsh than before! The sound is more detailed and I quite like the low end that is produced by the speakers but there is far too much of the hights.
Could you please recommend perfect speaker match for the caspian m2 amps? Or perhaps different amp for my ATC's? I can not stand the vocals that are being produced right now. Please note I can only afford a second hand gear.
Best regards,
Lucas

My Aurousal VS speakers( Hi-Fi News SQ rating 85% August 2010) are excellent for female vocals, they sound just as good as the Sonus Faber Guanari Evolution, also SQ 85% I have made the comparison with the same discs using Roksan Caspian integrated amp.& CD player. Big advantage with the Aurousals is that the treble out put can be varied to suit the environment,, I do not know any other passive speaker that has this very useful facility. The only reason I am selling these excellent speakers is I need the space as I am awaiting delivery of the latest model the Phantom Source Floorstander (Google it for full info & pic.. Visually same cabinet & same adjustable tweeter. PM me if interested give away price.

Sorry for a late reply. I would like to thank you for all the suggestions. I have tried different sources with no satisfactory results. Also double checked all connections but everything was how it should be. I really don't think that the problem is in the room layout. I realise it's far from perfect but it's not terrible. After a chat to Rick form Musicraft I decided that I'm going to try a different amplification for the scm40's. We're going to arrange a demo in Rick's store and I'm going to compare my Caspian to ATC's SIA2 amp. Will see how this goes. If there is going to be a lot of improvement than caspian is going if not than I will be looking for different speakers. The trouble is I still don't know what would be the perfect match for caspian? Btw I do apologise for any grammar or spelling mistakes in my posts but English is my second language.

I've heard the ROKSANs with Spendors, Tannoys, Neats and ASWs at different dealers with very good results. In all cases the source and the cabling was high end .... No bargain basement substitutes here.

advertisement

Back