advertisement

Roger Waters

I know he is a bit of a pillock but this is cancel culture in full force he has been doing the shtick since the 80s

Agreed. As ever the political right seek to platform racism and bigotry and wish to cancel those who protest. It seems Waters has been caught in the Republican/Tory ‘war on woke’ manufactured culture war.

Anti-fascism has never been easy. Even more so now fascism has arrived at the political mainstream. I’m not a fan of Waters, but like it or not it is political art and that needs defending. Those attempting to ban this are just another bunch of MAGA, Britain First, EDL or whatever thugs trying to stop a drag show, Pride event, or setting fire to a refugee centre. Just right-wing scum doing what right-wing scum always do. Labour joining their ranks has been noted.

PS How long before they start banning stuff like this:

Protest music has always targeted current politics.

One thing just pointed out on Twitter here is the ‘fascist imagery’ the Tory/Labour right are going all gammon rage over has actually featured on a first class UK stamp!

It is disturbing- I agree with him then I do have have a tendency to be a bit rambling, slightly clueless and, arguably, naive.
Also the Ukraine invasion was provoked albeit the provocation didn't warrant an invasion but we are not allowed to say things like that.

Roger Waters may or may not be a dick but I find this disturbing:

https://twitter.com/Christian4BuryS/status/1661677109952086017

I mean, The Wall is political satire, isn't it? It might have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer but it's an album about authoritarianism and fascism, not an endorsement of it. Surely this ought to be obvious to any critical thinker.

The icing on the cake here is that the author of the letter is Christian Wakeford, the Conservative MP who crossed the floor to join the Labour Party. He is a racist, partial to immigrant bashing and demonising ther GRT community - no wonder he feels so at home in Starmer's Labour Party.

For the record, I hate Pink Floyd and I think The Wall is a pile of overblown shite, but this looks like an egregious attack on free speech.

"Mr Waters ... used the Star of David on a giant pig balloon to insinuate that Jewish people run the world." :confused:

I'm glad that Wakefield explained the insinuation as I doubt anyone would have got it otherwise.

PS Who knew CND ran the world?

"Mr Waters ... used the Star of David on a giant pig balloon to insinuate that Jewish people run the world." :confused:

I'm glad that Wakefield explained the insinuation as I doubt anyone would have got it otherwise.

I suspect that is a libellous statement. If I was Waters with all his money and the legal access it buys I’d be suing Wakeford right about now. Maybe even the Labour Party as an entity. It is clear to anyone who has even casually noticed Waters political output over the years it will be referring to the Israeli state occupation of Palestine. It may be a clumsy use of imagery given 20th century history, but I’d still have thought he was on very solid legal ground. There is a clear damages argument here too, the UK tour Wakeford is attempting to cancel will be a multi-£million project.

I feel sorry for the people of Bury South who may have wanted to vote but now find both main parties are fielding the exact same Tory crap.

I suspect that is a libellous statement. If I was Waters with all his money and the legal access it buys I’d be suing Wakeford right about now. Maybe even the Labour Party as an entity. It is clear to anyone who has even casually noticed Waters political output over the years it will be referring to the Israeli state occupation of Palestine. It may be a clumsy use of imagery given 20th century history, but I’d still have thought he was on very solid legal ground. There is a clear damages argument here too, the UK tour Wakeford is attempting to cancel will be a multi-£million project.
Lol sorry bit late for any of that now.

His intent is sort of on the right tracks. Trouble is he refuses to do his shctick without arrogance, self-righteousness & pretentiousness. He just thinks he's cleverer, on a higher intellectual level to his audience & critics. And he's a provocateur too to generate column inches & forum natter (this the only reasonably intelligent bit). Judt ignore him & let him do his silly thing (the Jewish community are ignoring his stupid pig after all). He's like a wayward angry mixed up 16 year old activist.

Yes it'll be noted by the community, but there's nothing in the national press about huge outrage etc. They're just sensible enough to briefly take note, then brush it aside. An idiotic irritation, nothing more to this thick-skinned community. It is far more noteable how it much -wasn't- picked up on by the community in the main, despite you searching & seeking out where it was (inevitably) mentioned, remains my point.

Vladimir Putin “governs carefully, making decisions on the grounds of a consensus in the Russian Federation government.” RW, 2023.

He clearly has mental health issues. Sadly I have a family member who's spent years diving down conspiracy rabbit holes and alienated her closest family members as a result of relentless batshittery. I'm convinced there's strong correlation between attraction to conspiratorial thinking and mental/emotional health.

In a political world where the likes of Trump, DeSantis, Johnson, Farage, Anderson, Truss, Braverman etc are the mainstream he doesn’t seem that crazy, and is certainly a lot less cruel.

He clearly has mental health issues. Sadly I have a family member who's spent years diving down conspiracy rabbit holes and alienated her closest family members as a result of relentless batshittery. I'm convinced there's strong correlation between attraction to conspiratorial thinking and mental/emotional health.

Agree. There's a feedback loop actually. I'm convinced the radical right has worsened the mental health of this country. Intensified disorders and triggered latent problems.

There’s also the culture that seeks to legitimise the state of Israel and anaesthetise opposition to its murderous treatment of Palestinians. His ill advised behaviours in relation to Russia do him no favours, but it’s his outspoken and very high profile condemnation of Israeli apartheid that cannot be tolerated.

I've said it before, but you can usually bet that if someone is into one conspiracy theory then they're into them all. For instance I've never encountered someone who thinks the moon landings were all fake but also completely believes the official 9/11 sequence of events.

I'm not sure what it is about them but everything is a conspiracy or false flag event. One of the artists at the tattoo studio I use is an absolute full blown crank, right back to Nikola Tesla having invented free energy but it all being suppressed by shady global/US elites, all the COVID and anti Vax nuttery, the WEF, WHO etc etc. There's literally nothing that he doesn't believe is some sort of cover up or plot and he never shuts up about it.

I've said it before, but you can usually bet that if someone is into one conspiracy theory then they're into them all. For instance I've never encountered someone who thinks the moon landings were all fake but also completely believes the official 9/11 sequence of events.

I'm not sure what it is about them but everything is a conspiracy or false flag event. One of the artists at the tattoo studio I use is an absolute full blown crank, right back to Nikola Tesla having invented free energy but it all being suppressed by shady global/US elites, all the COVID and anti Vax nuttery, the WEF, WHO etc etc. There's literally nothing that he doesn't believe is some sort of cover up or plot and he never shuts up about it.

Did he vote to leave the EU?

advertisement

Back