advertisement

RME ADI-2 DAC

Paulq2

pfm Member
I had one of these a few months ago and had to return it as it was faulty (in addition to not really having the patience at that point to get to grips with the menus). I can get hold of an ex-dem one for a decent price and am tempted to buy it and spend a bit more time getting to grips with it as the sound it produced was, frankly, pretty mind-blowing.

I have what may be a dumb question though - have they released a newer version of this in the RME ADI-2 DAC 'FS' as opposed to the original ADI-2 DAC? The one listed on the RME website specifies that it's the 'FS' version with the AKM board whereas all the other ones I can find seem to lose the 'FS' and don't seem to specify the AKM board specifically.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Thanks - a bit more detective work reveals that the AK chip in the new one is the AK4493. Only a couple of websites list that specifically.

The ADI-2 DAC has always been 'FS'. The ADI-2 PRO, released earlier, was originally non-'FS', but later got updated.

The newer ADI-2 DAC has updated the main D/A chip from AK4490 to 4493, and has a new remote with more extensive functionality, which also can operate the older model with a firmware update. However, the model name remains the same.

As I recall, the "FS" designation related to upgraded clocks in the audiophile tagretted non-Pro version. The Pro had two AKM 4490 dac chips, adc and more complex routing options, aimed at home and and small studio use. The ADI-2 Dac Fs had one 4490 and no adc, but retained same of the other functionality (eq, loudness comp etc).

The Pro then got the Fs clocks update, which was an improved version of RME's Steadyclock circuit.

The AKM4490 is superceded by the slightly technically improved 4493 dac chip, and that newer version of the dac is just filtering into retail inventory. As stated above it come with a new remote. Unlikely to be any real sonic jmprovement with the newer chip. Maybe in the a new version of the product will get the much newer AKM4499 which is the latest chip in the Akm line.

The "Fs" bit is a little bit of marketing really. Related to femtosecond clocks precision which is modern dac speak for incrementally better jitter performance. Allegedly.

I can get hold of an ex-dem one for a decent price and am tempted to buy it and spend a bit more time getting to grips with it as the sound it produced was, frankly, pretty mind-blowing.
I would persevere. I love mine because of the “mind blowing” quality. It’s a very particular approach to DAC design and when I’m listening to it I find it hard to imagine that the engineers could take it any further.

The focus on detail and imaging is relentless and with the right recordings very exciting. Some Nina Simone tracks I thought I knew well are transformed by it.

It’s a very different experience to listening to vinyl in my system and, I imagine, any other. So rewarding in that respect too.

Thanks - I am probably going to take the plunge and order one and see if I can master the menus this time around.

As an aside (and I am genuinely curious as opposed to having a view) but, in buying the RME with it's reputed component/engineering quality, do the USB noise/jitter/silencers make any difference or could you regard the DAC as having everything it needs without them? I'll be using it as a desktop/headphone solution connected via USB to an iMac using Audirvana+.

Something like this is what I am referring to:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipurifier3/

Snake Oil or not?

I believe it’s fairly safe to dismiss all decrapifiers en masse with respect to any vaguely competent dac with proper usb implementation.

In fact, if a decrapifier improves the sound of your dac, get another one.

I believe it’s fairly safe to dismiss all decrapifiers en masse with respect to any vaguely competent dac with proper usb implementation.

In fact, if a decrapifier improves the sound of your dac, get another one.

I don't know a lot about them but I am always wary not to take too much of what is written by reviewers or advertisers as gospel. I would imagine that with the RME (which I have now ordered) I wouldn't really have a need for one....unless someone knows better than me :)

Thanks - I am probably going to take the plunge and order one and see if I can master the menus this time around.

As an aside (and I am genuinely curious as opposed to having a view) but, in buying the RME with it's reputed component/engineering quality, do the USB noise/jitter/silencers make any difference or could you regard the DAC as having everything it needs without them? I'll be using it as a desktop/headphone solution connected via USB to an iMac using Audirvana+.

Something like this is what I am referring to:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipurifier3/

Snake Oil or not?
Snake oil,
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27006
Keith

Surely, by your own logic, the RME ADI-2 is overpriced snake-oil. You yourself have said that you don’t expect the £9000 Tambaqui DAC to sound any different from the £200 Topping D50. How can you possibly recommend the RME at several times the price of the D50? Do you perchance sell the RME?

Keith, you are selling the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, which I believe retails for £8,999, and I’m sure measures well.
Is it audibly discriminable from the Topping D50 which sells for less than £200?

I haven’t compared it to the Topping, I wouldn’t expect it to sound very/any different though.
Keith

Surely, by your own logic, the RME ADI-2 is overpriced snake-oil. You yourself have said that you don’t expect the £9000 Tambaqui DAC to sound any different from the £200 Topping D50. How can you possibly recommend the RME at several times the price of the D50? Do you perchance sell the RME?

The RME has many features that the Topping doesn't, including headphone amps. They will sound the same, and I'm sure Keith will agree with that. So back off.

Andy, I believe Keith sells the RME because it is well engineered, well made, well supported, provides a host of features and a remote some might find useful and has two headphone outputs. It is also relatively inexpensive.

Oh, as above.

I have a Schiit and a Halide usb/spdif converter from when I didn’t have a usb dac, tried them on the RME and Chord I have, to zero effect.

The RME has many features that the Topping doesn't, including headphone amps. They will sound the same, and I'm sure Keith will agree with that. So back off.
Maybe the o/p doesn’t want any of the features. Why would anyone want a choice of filters? Do they all sound the same? In which case why bother? Or do they all sound different? In which case at least all but one of them are broken. Why would you want two headphone outputs? You have two heads? I will not back off from pointing out inconsistencies, double standards and hypocrisy, thank you very much. You can’t have it both ways. If Keith thinks a £200 DAC is indiscriminable from an £8000 DAC or a £900 DAC it is reasonable to ask him why he sells the more expensive ones. I’ve only heard the RME briefly; where did that tinny reverb plate come from is what I recall thinking.

Maybe the o/p doesn’t want any of the features. Why would anyone want a choice of filters? Do they all sound the same? In which case why bother? Or do they all sound different? In which case at least all but one of them are broken. Why would you want two headphone outputs? You have two heads? I will not back off from pointing out inconsistencies, double standards and hypocrisy, thank you very much. You can’t have it both ways. If Keith thinks a £200 DAC is indiscriminable from an £8000 DAC or a £900 DAC it is reasonable to ask him why he sells the more expensive ones. I’ve only heard the RME briefly; where did that tinny reverb plate come from is what I recall thinking.

I refer you to what I said.

advertisement

Back