advertisement

Topping D10, D30, D50

I would and do use measurements to discount products, DACs and ( solid state) amplifiers I don’t think about that just leaves loudspeakers and their interaction with the room.
Keith

Keith, you are selling the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, which I believe retails for £8,999, and I’m sure measures well.

Is it audibly discriminable from the Topping D50 which sells for less than £200?

It does make me head scratch when people are lambasted for choosing a less-than-perfect measuring DAC given that the loudspeakers and listening room are generating non-linearities that are many orders of magnitude greater. I totally understand the pursuit of wanting to maintain perfect fidelity as far along the chain of components as possible, but it's also good to keep things in perspective. If a listener wishes to choose their speakers, poweramp, preamp, phono stage, turntable, tonearm, cart, etc, based on subjective taste, then why not also allow them the indulgence of doing the same with the DAC?

Last edited:
I would never make a judgement on a component which is part of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room.
You must hear them in your room in your system.
Keith

Agreed, I would now never buy anything without having heard it at home in my system first. But you can get an idea of whether you like it or not at a Hifi shop and therefore whether it is worth bothering the hifi dealer for a demo.

I haven’t compared it to the Topping, I wouldn’t expect it to sound very/any different though.
Keith

Really? How can you sell something for £8,999 with a view that it isn’t very/any different to a £200 DAC and still sleep at night?

Really? How can you sell something for £8,999 with a view that it isn’t very/any different to a £200 DAC and still sleep at night?

Maybe he doesn't make any claims that the £8,999 one sounds any better? Do people who sell very expensive wristwatches claim they are any better at telling time than a cheap casio? I think they still sleep pretty soundly at night.

Maybe he doesn't make any claims that the £8,999 one sounds any better? Do people who sell very expensive wristwatches claim they are any better at telling time than a cheap casio? I think they still sleep pretty soundly at night.

That is an entirely different scenario and you know that fully well.

Well, if you read this interview with Bruno Putzey, the designer of the Mola-Mola, he makes it pretty clear that he does think that you can hear differences between DACs and that the Mola Mola sounds better than an extremely expensive, well engineered DAC:

Bruno Putzey said:
We listened to the prototype, and it outperformed something which is actually very well engineered, and which sells for nearly a six-figure price.

Maybe he hasn’t heard the Topping.

What a strange comment. Maybe it would be preferable to claim there’s a night and day difference between 2 very well engineered dacs (if there was they’re probably not both well engineered though are they)

Ive has dealers make claims of night and day differences between dacs, and try and recommend £2k usb cables as the one I have currently is a “weak link”

Some are more than happy to pay extra for aesthetics or all sorts, I’d much prefer to know where the extra cost is going, and make my purchase decision on that rather than false claims

I think my DAC measures awfully but it sounds bloody good.

Buy things based on how they sound and not so called scientific measurbating websites.

Well, if you read this interview with Bruno Putzey, the designer of the Mola-Mola, he makes it pretty clear that he does think that you can hear differences between DACs and that the Mola Mola sounds better than an extremely expensive, well engineered DAC.

Yes, he is entitled to his opinion. He is usually very well informed, but lately he has had some strong commercial interests.

advertisement

Back