advertisement

RIP Dusty Hill

It's given a rainy day here tomorrow. Time to give these a spin and pay some respect. Texas Boogie. They did it right. Rip it up Dusty.

x7rTB1N.jpg

In the early 90’s, they were playing a gig in Calgary, and they were staying at the Westin Hotel. Their tour bus was parked around back, and hitched to the back was a rather large Harley Davidson motorcycle trailer. I always though it would have been very cool to see them riding their hogs around the city.

Dusty. Thanks for so many great records, and all the times your music made a good time into a great time. RIP Dude

Do NOT buy anything by them on CD. Vinyl only.

Really? Do you think they're poor quality?

I have the First Album to Eliminator and then La Futura on vinyl but I bought a box set (very cheap) of all the albums from First album to Afterburner on CD for the workshop and they sound fine, I've also a box set called Chrome, smoke and barbecue on CD which sounds pretty good.
The early albums sound great though, Bill Ham really knew how to capture the Top.

The first four or five ZZ Top albums were remixed and had parts re-recorded by Bill Ham after the success of Eliminator. These reissues sounded absolutely horrible and were the only way you could buy them for a long time. This was put right about 8 years ago when they were reissued. Current issues should all be the original mixes. Deguello and Tres Hombres are their best albums. I have a 192/24 download box set of all their LP's and it sounds fab - I suspect the CDs come from the same masters and should also sound great.

The first four are great, if patchy in parts.

Never liked Fandango and El Loco is dire. The rot set in when MTV came about and the rest is history.

As an early blues band they were great.

I have a West German Target CD of Eliminator on the way. Supposedly it’s the same mix as the vinyl, so should sound decent. Classic mid 80’s album, so good from beginning to end.

advertisement

Back