advertisement

RIP Captain Tom

The awful woman is blaming her Dad!! Bad enough what she did but claiming Capt Tom put her up to it shows she has no boundaries at all. He was 101 years old and is now not able to answer.
She's not "blaming" him.

She's suggesting, I think, that he bequeathed her either the income from the books or the rights (maybe both). In itself, a perfectly legitimate and unremarkable thing for a parent to do.

Assuming of course it is true, which if it is, should be easy enough to demonstrate...

She's not "blaming" him.

She's suggesting, I think, that he bequeathed her either the income from the books or the rights (maybe both). In itself, a perfectly legitimate and unremarkable thing for a parent to do.

Assuming of course it is true, which if it is, should be easy enough to demonstrate...
The prologue to his autobiography says it is a…

“chance to raise even more money for the charitable foundation now established in my name.”

How much clearer could he make his intentions?

And yet she claims he would have wanted her to have the money. Not that he bequeathed it to her.

Couldn’t be clearer, he wanted the proceeds to go to the charity, not his thieving daughter’s bank account.

Is there going to be a fraud investigation?

I’d very much doubt it she’s done nothing illegal, she might be a lot of things but she ain’t stupid, I think they saw an opportunity to make some money from a small charity organisation, ie administrators and taking a modest salary, don’t forget their business went down the pan when the pandemic struck and they we’re looking at a serious financial crisis then she or her and her husband came up with the charity idea and pushed it big time via her contacts then the whole thing snowballed and they must have thought they’d hit the jackpot.

A pair of charlatans and it wouldn’t surprise me if the old guy was just as dodgy as his daughter.

The prologue to his autobiography says it is a…

“chance to raise even more money for the charitable foundation now established in my name.”

How much clearer could he make his intentions?

And yet she claims he would have wanted her to have the money. Not that he bequeathed it to her.

Couldn’t be clearer, he wanted the proceeds to go to the charity, not his thieving daughter’s bank account.
Forgive my bluntness, but I am not quite sure you have understood the various concepts at play here. His expressed intentions are not capable of creating a right for either the charity or the daughter to receive the profits from that book, or indeed the others. He most certainly could have made clearer and more certain his intentions as to where the profits from the book should go.

I am assuming that he had not made the money over to the charity and hence it remained in his estate at death simply because if he had done so, she would have no claim upon it. Irrespective of what wishes he might have expressed, once made over to the charity, it would have formed part of its assets – there could be no question of a charity (appropriately) deciding to make an ex gratia payment of that sort.

That being so, the contents of the preface have nothing to do with what testamentary arrangements he made – if indeed, he did make any such. Again presuming for the moment that the monies he had received from the books remained within his estate at the time of death, they would have been dealt with according to whatever testamentary provisions he had made, or according to the usual principles of intestacy. The contents of a preface to a book would have nothing to do with it.

Like you I think, I am not however quite sure upon what basis she is suggesting she has any entitlement to the money, not least because of those points above.

Saying that, to what degree either father or daughter might have thought it was appropriate for her to have (and keep) the money when the book had indeed been marketed as you describe, is quite another point.

The main
Forgive my bluntness, but I am not quite sure you have understood the various concepts at play here. His expressed intentions are not capable of creating a right for either the charity or the daughter to receive the profits from that book, or indeed the others. He most certainly could have made clearer and more certain his intentions as to where the profits from the book should go.

I am assuming that he had not made the money over to the charity and hence it remained in his estate at death simply because if he had done so, she would have no claim upon it. Irrespective of what wishes he might have expressed, once made over to the charity, it would have formed part of its assets – there could be no question of a charity (appropriately) deciding to make an ex gratia payment of that sort.

That being so, the contents of the preface have nothing to do with what testamentary arrangements he made – if indeed, he did make any such. Again presuming for the moment that the monies he had received from the books remained within his estate at the time of death, they would have been dealt with according to whatever testamentary provisions he had made, or according to the usual principles of intestacy. The contents of a preface to a book would have nothing to do with it.

Like you I think, I am not however quite sure upon what basis she is suggesting she has any entitlement to the money, not least because of those points above.

Saying that, to what degree either father or daughter might have thought it was appropriate for her to have (and keep) the money when the book had indeed been marketed as you describe, is quite another point.
You sound just the sort of guy to defend the shyster.

At the time, I said to my family "she's a wrong un".

I could see it in her fake smile from day one. I spotted it a mile off.

I'm not sure if she's done anything illegal but morally and ethically, definitely.

If Sir Tom has written something in his will allowing her and hubby to lay sanction to a bit of it, I'd be very surprised.

At the time, I said to my family "she's a wrong un".

I could see it in her fake smile from day one. I spotted it a mile off.

I'm not sure if she's done anything illegal but morally and ethically, definitely.

If Sir Tom has written something in his will allowing her and hubby to lay sanction to a bit of it, I'd be very surprised.
He probably didn't, but if she is appointed administrator she can pay herself a salary, expenses etc like any financial concern. As 2tone says, she probably hasn't done anything illegal, after all she's a director and she can pay any salary she sees fit as long as it doesn't make the organisation insolvent.

……………..

A pair of charlatans and it wouldn’t surprise me if the old guy was just as dodgy as his daughter.
For me that is one of the worst aspects of this story, the daughter and son in law besmirching Captain Tom’s reputation.

For me that is one of the worst aspects of this story, the daughter and son in law besmirching Captain Tom’s reputation.
What reputation? No one knows what his reputation was apart from the fact he used a military rank despite leaving the services in 1947 or something plus he ran the regimental dinner for about 50 years.

I suspect there’s ‘stuff’ there that people know about it’s only a matter of time.

As I said above the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Regardless of his prior reputation, what has been done by his daughter worsens it.

Aye well we don’t know how much involved he was do we? I mean the motivation for the walk seemed perfectly fine but it was all about them (the daughter and the husband) getting money they even made out the daughter pushed the whole thing and was instrumental in it initially when it fact it was a young woman who did the PR by sending the press release to her own contacts and then they got rid of her they actually airbrushed her out of the entire thing.

You don’t suddenly become a thieving shit at 60 I mean the husband had already bumped the taxman for £3M along with other creditors in fact he’s had two business go bust owing a lot of money so they know how it all works.

And you can’t tell me that the old guy was oblivious about the £3.5 debt from one of the companies that went bust in 2009?

He sounds like a piece of work.

He actually owed the tax man and customs and excise about half a million quid from the two businesses.

Now, The Sun can reveal that Colin, a management consultant and property developer, has liquidated two firms he co-owns, leaving tradesmen and the taxman severely out of pocket.

Financial services firm Berbank Ltd - which he co-owned with Craig Best, Alfie Buller and Bob Fidock - was liquidated in September 2009 and dissolved in November 2013.

Buller is an ex-Olympian Equestrian appearing at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

According to the liquidators final report, it owed £226,420 to HMRC, £874,075 to trade creditors and £1,427,446 in ‘related company loans’.

It also owed £302,960 to AIB Group (UK) Plc - a Northern Ireland Bank - and there was £13,665 employee expenses outstanding. Colin was personally owed £240,583 as a ’shareholder loan'.

A total of £2,985,210 was owed and none of the creditors got a penny from the liquidation.

Among the dozens of trade creditors were numerous small businesses, individuals, Central Bedfordshire Council, BT and Utility Warehouse.

His management consultancy firm BCKMS - which he co-owned with Bob Fidock - was liquidated in July 2011 and dissolved in April 2016.

It owed £208,267 to the HMRC, a further £8,584 in Corporation Tax, £66,408 to Customs & Excise and £422,229 to trade and expense creditors.

The total owed was £691,241 with creditors receiving just 12p in the £1, a total of £74,524.

Colin even bought back a company vehicle, a five-year-old Vauxhall Vivaro Van, for £2,250, which costs £33k brand new.

Colin has held directorships with at least 51 companies, according to Companies House records.

he used a military rank despite leaving the services in 1947 or something
I believe officers above the rank of major/ Lt. Cmdr are 'allowed' to retain their title after retirement.

I prefix my name with (Capt.) when at work and there is a reason for it. There are a number of people in my line of work who believe the mere possession of a Class 1 Deck certificate entitles them to be called 'Captain' even though they never actually sailed at that rank. These tend to be the same people who manage to present their CV's in such a way as to lead people to think they are something a little (to a lot) more capable than they are.

YMMV.

I believe officers above the rank of major/ Lt. Cmdr are 'allowed' to retain their title after retirement.

I prefix my name with (Capt.) when at work and there is a reason for it. There are a number of people in my line of work who believe the mere possession of a Class 1 Deck certificate entitles them to be called 'Captain' even though they never actually sailed at that rank. These tend to be the same people who manage to present their CV's in such a way as to lead people to think they are something a little (to a lot) more capable than they are.

YMMV.
Yes, but he was an army captain, not a navy one. Captain is a junior rank in the army, equivalent to Lieutenant.

advertisement

Back