advertisement

RIP Captain Tom

Whilst I have great admiration and respect for the late Captain Sir Tom, and I'm very pleased that his fame gave him such a lovely last year and hope he thoroughly enjoyed himself....it should at least be acknowledged that as a country we were played by the gov and MSM who cynically used this wonderful old mans story to keep bad news for the gov off the front pages for weeks....
It's the elephant in the room in this whole story that no one seems to want to mention!

Aye they should be ashamed of themselves an old man raises £39m for the NHS the NHS that they have run into the ground, cnuts!

It wasn't for NHS, it was NHS charities. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52758683 but definitely things the Govt should support, not rely on private donations.
For me this is the problem with Tom Moore and others. By uncritically fundraising for such causes they are allowing the Govt to get away with underfunding vital services. I don't support them.
And another thing... Why is he CAPTAIN Tom? It's a job he did 70+ years ago. How sad to still identify with a job you did a lifetime ago.

It wasn't for NHS, it was NHS charities. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52758683 but definitely things the Govt should support, not rely on private donations.
For me this is the problem with Tom Moore and others. By uncritically fundraising for such causes they are allowing the Govt to get away with underfunding vital services. I don't support them.
And another thing... Why is he CAPTAIN Tom? It's a job he did 70+ years ago. How sad to still identify with a job you did a lifetime ago.

Think he was still organising the regimental dinner every year right up into his 90s.

As I understand it`s a long standing convention that you are allowed to retain the rank of Captain and above as a courtesy title in civilian life. Most people don`t of course.

Also your rank appears first - so it is Captain Sir Tom, or Brigadier The Lord Ballantrae for example.

I always get confused across the services, Navy Captain is equivalent to Army Colonel. Air Force I can never figure out

I always get confused across the services, Navy Captain is equivalent to Army Colonel. Air Force I can never figure out
As others have said, Navy Captain and RAF Group Captain are equivalent ranks. Army Captain is considerably more junior, the equivalent of Navy Lieutenant, RAF Flight Lieutenant IIRC.

British+Armed+Forces+Commissioned+Ranks.jpg

@The Captain I didn't know she was paying herself that sort of money, and of course now all the money used in the spa building has just gone! In my opinion it is just theft and she should be up in court, what would her father have said?

As I understand it`s a long standing convention that you are allowed to retain the rank of Captain and above as a courtesy title in civilian life. Most people don`t of course.
I remember a retired major school chair of governors turning purple when I continually referred to him as Mr. at a job interview.
I didn’t get it.

Well if being a Captain in WW2 & his service during it defined his whole life since, I can appreciate wanting to retain this fabulous moniker.

It seems to me the foremost frailty of predominately western culture, is that the more money & assets one accumulates, the stronger the desire is to increace them. What a greedy pair these two are.

advertisement

Back