advertisement

Rice cooker machines ?

i cook mine in a bog standard electric steamer - as mentioned the key is to find the right rice/water added balanced.

Zojirushi would be my choice having used one for a few years.

If you use short grain rice there essential. No one in Japan uses a saucepan for a reason.

But then they are a lot cheaper there.

A cheaper method but one still prefable to the saucepan for short grain is a microwavable rice cooker. The only disadvantage is it only cooks smaller amounts.

Has anyone tried those big plastic pots of ready fried eggy rice you can get in the supermarkets? I think you just have to stick them in the microwave machine, so saves a lot of faffing around, especially if you don't have rice cooking machine or are short of burners.

Rice cookers have the advantage of keeping the rice warm after cooking for latecomers/seconds. The cheap ones are very reliable, hardly anybody buys these on brand in Asia

Tried Googling that...nuffink. :confused:

it's a quiet in-joke, harking back to the times when James invented a simple, rational and effective method of tuning Mana, which has christened the Jong-Satan method.

James also taught us how to cook rice, simply, in a saucepan; subsequently our rice cooker was abandoned. I think of this as the Jong-Satan method, though of course there is nothing satanic, nor remotely heretic, about it.

I can cook rice on the hob and in a rice cooker - although gas is easier than my induction due to the latter pulsing heat rather than a steady flow - so I'm not entering into that debate. But I do sometimes wonder on pfm if people just google "the world's most expensive" before making a recommendation.

Rice cookers are excellent. Ours is a Panasonic and highly recommended. We use it every day. My wife is Chinese Malaysian so she knows what's what.

used a plastic microwave rice steamer for over 10 years , faultless rice every time, get one, 10 mins its done!

There was a Muji one we had in the Palo Alto office that was awesome. A few staff members worked late nights and when you have Vietnamese and Japanese-Americans all in the same office that little sucker got the job done 6 days a week.

Its since evolved into a more curved design but it was actually a beautiful device for all its plastic and bamboo and impenetrable as it was entirely in kanji on the front, for a whitey limey learning to use it was trial and error.

fukasawa_ricecooker.png

Shame they are 110V only.

Depends on the quantity of rice you want to cook. My Mrs is from SE Asia and we got an el cheapo steamer from B and M around two years ago. Used every day and she loves it. The rice is far better than the boiled in the pan crap i used to make. So you get consistent results on a timer so minimal hassle. She also uses it to steam other items.

advertisement

Back