advertisement

Rice cooker machines ?

ErikL

pfm Member
I'm in the market for a rice cooker.

Zojirushi, Tiger, Panasonic, Oster, Black & Decker, etc?!?!

I have an Asian supermarket near by me.

Help please!

PS- "Fuzzy-logic technology" is kinda cool? Or no?

188-80132970.jpg

Its not rocket science.

188-80132970.jpg

Its not rocket science.

No but you forgot the lid. Steamed rice is so easy and leads to many variations with flavourings

I remember it took me ages (I wus at Uni) to learn how to cook fried rice as my earlier attempts would make bouncy elastic balls......... then one day the penny dropped.

Cheers,

DV

Our old noname rice cooker wasn't a patch in one the Zojirushi, we bought one a few months ago. It's one of those 'why didn't we buy this years ago' items. Highly recommended.

Rice cookers. I don't know an Asian household that doesn't consider them essential.

Mine was the best investment I ever made. Judge JEA 26 - £35 from Amazon. People pay more for saucepans :)

Mine's Murphy Richards, it cost £20-25, it's been used a couple of times a week for 7-8 years and delivers perfect results every time. My sister used to have a Chinese restaurant and they had two expensive industrial units - as I remember the main one was unbranded, probably from the Chinese supermarket, and the second was a high street name (I'm thinking Kenwood) - obviously they got hammered but I don't think the output was any different. Not that I'm saying cheap is necessarily good!

It's going on literally after posting this, to accompany chopped pork ribs with green pepper, kidney beans and spring onion in chilli black bean sauce.

Boiled rice is dead easy. Boiling water, a few drops of olive oil and you get perfect rice every time. The trick is using a large saucepan and being familiar with the type of rice. Basmati nine Minutes. Rice cookers are fine for big quantities that you want to keep warm without hassle.

The Zoji if you are OK with the price. Otherwise the Pana.
Our old noname rice cooker wasn't a patch in one the Zojirushi, we bought one a few months ago. It's one of those 'why didn't we buy this years ago' items. Highly recommended.
Rice cookers. I don't know an Asian household that doesn't consider them essential.
My friends told me Zojirushi is well made/high price/build for life. Thanks.

Since we were shown the Jong-Satan method of cooking rice, we gave away our electric rice cooker.

Over to the master.

I wouldn't mind betting that most rice cooking machines end up unused in a cupboard next to the unused bread making machine and the unused pasta machine.

The only machine that gets regular use in our kitchen is the dish washing machine.

One of the reasons why rice-cookers are deemed 'essential' in asian households is they free up a burner on the hob. When you consider that asian dining generally comprises several shared dishes served with rice, it's easy to see how convenient a plug-in-and-forget, electric rice cooker can be.

But it is not actually essential. I can cook perfectly steamed rice in a saucepan. I've never owned or bought a rice-cooker despite being asian. i guess I have enough burners on my cooking hob.

Panasonic is the one of choice, over the cheapie, anyway.

Yes, it is quite possible to make hopeless rice in a rice cooker. The secret is to wash the rice thoroughly, then add the bare amount of water required, never more. Some rice cookers recommend too much water, which is great for soggy rice, so I always add the minimum on first use, then adjust depending upon how that turns out.

advertisement

Back