advertisement

Ribbon tweeters, the answer to stridency?

Pioneer PD 8700, do I need to go and buy an expensive Naim cdp??

You don’t have to go quite that far. As I suggested earlier, one that I’ve owned is the Arcam CD192 player, once described as having a luxury treble by WHF. I would concur, in fact wish I still had one. This player I found was a great match for speakers with assertive tweeters which are actually very high quality drivers looking for a decent input.

Players like the Pioneer never seem to have enough expression for jazz combos. Voiced more for rock, they lack the “micro dynamics “ that make solo playing more interesting.

Only my opinion though.

Those curves are reasonable. I assume to off axis is horizontal and vertical will be much worse.
Distortion is acceptable
The impedance is nice and high at the top, not all ribbons are like this.
The only gremlin is a little ringing at 4kHz

They have their own problems, dispersion being one, fragility another. Personally I prefer them to domes, at least the domes I can afford, but the crossover would have be changed if you wanted to add them to an existing speaker, including the mid driver's low pass section.
I had a home dem of very fine JAS Audio ribbon/magnesium cone two ways. They were most impressive and I really wanted to buy them but I noticed a grainy sound, a colouration that I couldn’t ignore and it set my teeth on edge. I blaimed the ribbon tweeter initially but it turned out to be breakup I was told, in the magnesium woofer due to the high crossover point. Dali seem to address the issue by coupling a dome tweeter and a ribbon but I’ve never heard them.

advertisement

Back