advertisement

Ribbon tweeters, the answer to stridency?

Frankiesays

Rats is life.
My system suffers slightly from stridency, no matter how I configure it. I currently use Ruark Talisman II, I was wondering whether speakers with ribbon tweeters would mellow the higher frequencies, I listen to a lot of modern jazz on cd, and the sax/trumpets grate somewhat. I want a real change, so are ribbon tweeters a solution? If so please reccommend some decent ones for under £500 used. I am currently inbetween switching amps but am waiting on a pre amp to try with my newly acquired Quad 306. I use a TT through a Graham Slee Era V, and an old Pioneer cdp with the stable platter mech, cds upside down! Do a bit of streaming too.

You should be able to get nice treble from many tweeter designs, including the one in the Talisman. From the reviews, the speaker is reputed to have an "enthusiastic" treble. I wonder, if a bit of room treatment, speaker placement or even some absorptive foam or felt around the tweeter would make the treble nicer to listen to? Some warm sounding interconnects and/or speaker cables (PC-OCC or similar) should help as well.

Can you borrow a selection of speakers to try out? Have you a preamp with tone controls? You could reduce the treble a bit.

I wonder if a Quad preamp with the switchable tone controls and slope controls would help you keep the Ruarks

If you don't have tone controls, and want to keep the speakers, you could install an L-pad on the tweeter crossovers pretty easily.

Nearly all ribbon tweeter designs have "look at me" treble.
Some of them also make the serious mistake of pushing the crossover too low and get monumental distortion.

Can you borrow a selection of speakers to try out? Have you a preamp with tone controls? You could reduce the treble a bit.

I wonder if a Quad preamp with the switchable tone controls and slope controls would help you keep the Ruarks
I don't like tone controls, can't be bothered changing them for different tracks/lps.

Nearly all ribbon tweeter designs have "look at me" treble.
Some of them also make the serious mistake of pushing the crossover too low and get monumental distortion.
So my idea of ribbon tweeters being mellow is nonsense then? Wouldn't be the first time!

Seems I'm barking up the wrong tree, where do I go for mellowed treble? I mean not 'muffled' or 'deadened', just mellowed a bit.........

And then there's tweeters like RAALs with low distortion that are happy down to 2.5k. Not all ribbons are well engineered.

Battle of the non-domes

Quote - "Summary:

None of the true ribbons, when used one at a time, should be used below 2.5kHz. The higher you cross them, the better you will avoid low end distortion. On the other hand, these are all large flanged tweeters, and as you cross higher, lobing at Fc becomes worse.

I often hear people babble on about the shimmer, sparkle and air of ribbon tweeters. These tests show where these "special effects" are coming from - distortion. Ribbons do have a unique distortion profile that many will find enjoyable with some music. That's OK, and it does not have to relfect badly on your "golden ear" status. However, if accuracy to the original signal is what you are after, one of these ribbons may not be the best solution. Ribbons are certainly not the best solution if you want to build a high-value system."

Battle of the non-domes

Quote - "Summary:

None of the true ribbons, when used one at a time, should be used below 2.5kHz. The higher you cross them, the better you will avoid low end distortion. On the other hand, these are all large flanged tweeters, and as you cross higher, lobing at Fc becomes worse.

I often hear people babble on about the shimmer, sparkle and air of ribbon tweeters. These tests show where these "special effects" are coming from - distortion. Ribbons do have a unique distortion profile that many will find enjoyable with some music. That's OK, and it does not have to relfect badly on your "golden ear" status. However, if accuracy to the original signal is what you are after, one of these ribbons may not be the best solution. Ribbons are certainly not the best solution if you want to build a high-value system."
I dont think that's always true.

I have Eminent Technology speakers that use pseudo ribbons for midrange and tweeter, with crossover at ~200 hz and ~10Khz. They are quite low in distortion and happily reproduce a square wave, much like a stat.

Looking at this review, Eminent is what I call an Isodynamic, a very different and superior technology to ribbons
http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/loudspeakers/65-reviews/267-eminent-lft-16.html
Aren't many "ribbon" tweeters made that way? At least with a single set of magnets behind the traces on the diafragm, instead od dual ones?

Magnepan ribbon in 3.x series was different, magnets were flanking the metal foil strip, if memory serves. It was more fragile, but the company had a smart exchange program - you sent them the old magnets and housing back after they sent you the new ribbon assembly.

My system suffers slightly from stridency, no matter how I configure it. I currently use Ruark Talisman II, I was wondering whether speakers with ribbon tweeters would mellow the higher frequencies, I listen to a lot of modern jazz on cd, and the sax/trumpets grate somewhat. I want a real change, so are ribbon tweeters a solution? If so please reccommend some decent ones for under £500 used. I am currently inbetween switching amps but am waiting on a pre amp to try with my newly acquired Quad 306. I use a TT through a Graham Slee Era V, and an old Pioneer cdp with the stable platter mech, cds upside down! Do a bit of streaming too.
I dont think changing technology is necessarily the answer to your problem. It sounds like a characteristic of the tweeter/crossover/level settings of that speaker. Without seeing measurements its difficult to be sure, but you can make any tweeter sound bright or strident if implemented incorrectly. Also your room will have an impact. Is it lacking in soft furnishings or lots of hard reflective surfaces?

I'd wait until the 306 is hooked up before changing anything else, otherwise the next thread title could be "My treble is a bit subdued, anyone know how I can spice it up?"
Yes quite, I was anticipating having the same problem with the Quad, but as you say may'be not. My 'little bear' is on its way, but I've no idea when it will arrive!

advertisement

Back