advertisement

Replacing Epos ES14s

MVV

pfm Member
I'd like to get a replacement for these speakers. They are an old design but whatever it is they do I always end up back with them.
I've tried Naim Credos, Linn Isobarics, Neat Vitos (once the neat flagship) Quad 57s and refurbed Ditton 66s. But I always end up back with ES14s, must have bought them 4 times! This is probably the best sounding set, single wired with the upgraded capacitor which sorted the irritating treble. I always use them with glued in bungs.
I'm not sure what it is that brings me back, I guess it is the midrange but I don't know. Part of it is they are standmounts so the cabinet doesn't sing along or perhaps I just prefer how they look.
I have finished with amps and turntables so perhaps a Technics G will replace the Amadeus GTa, perhaps not. The Audio Note pre-power is definitely staying and off back for a service.
So what should I consider? Thinking about £1000 used.

Eventually, I replaced mine with Yamaha NS-1000Ms - I don’t know what a good pair cost.

Eventually, I replaced mine with Yamaha NS-1000Ms - I don’t know what a good pair cost.
Thanks for that. I hoped you might reply. I have thought about NS-1000Ms, however I was warned off because my amps only do 18 wpc.
Mind you I don't listen very loud so I'm not sure, the ES 14s go plenty loud and they are less sensitive than the Yams.

I'd like to get a replacement for these speakers. They are an old design but whatever it is they do I always end up back with them.
I've tried Naim Credos, Linn Isobarics, Neat Vitos (once the neat flagship) Quad 57s and refurbed Ditton 66s. But I always end up back with ES14s, must have bought them 4 times! This is probably the best sounding set, single wired with the upgraded capacitor which sorted the irritating treble. I always use them with glued in bungs.
I'm not sure what it is that brings me back, I guess it is the midrange but I don't know. Part of it is they are standmounts so the cabinet doesn't sing along or perhaps I just prefer how they look.
I have finished with amps and turntables so perhaps a Technics G will replace the Amadeus GTa, perhaps not. The Audio Note pre-power is definitely staying and off back for a service.
So what should I consider? Thinking about £1000 used.
It's probably because they work well in your room. They have very little baffle step correction, so in my room they sound a bit lightweight, and that's with the bungs removed, but they must be pretty linear because nothing stands out as wrong.

Yamaha NS1000 are probably a good shout for a replacement. Naim SBL would also probably work, but I don't know if it would be an upgrade.

Linn kans and a subwoofer dialed in to suite your room could work well. It did for me in multiple rooms.

I know this has been linked in other (of the countless) ES14 threads but still a good read.

REFERENCE3A DE CAPO are a somewhat similar design to your beloved ES14 - in a more modern configuration.

Like the ES14, the little DA CAPOs have a real following.

Might be worth exploring… ;)

Another 1. order x-over example:

Another 1. order x-over example:

That's a good shout. I really like what those little guys can do.

But whatever you do - don't sell those ES14's. :) Especially since you got a pair with port bungs and sorted tweeter.

I mean, they won't lose value being stashed away while/if you audition other stuff.

My ES14’s are in the loft, original capacitor, no harshness.

The Epos’s have been used in between Event Opals and ATC SCM40A’s. The ATC’s are better as they should be, I ended up preferring the Epos over the Opals as they were more musical, both had superb midrange.

Reactions: MVV
I have a pair of ES14s, superb things. Replaced with Linn SARA. SARAs make you enjoy music, ES14s are a laser focus on tiny details.

advertisement

Back