advertisement

Replacing Epos ES14s

I’ve just bought 6ks worth of speaker so hope to compare. We will see. It really wouldn’t surprise me if I end up back with 14s, I really am a cheap date!

I've tried Naim Credos, Linn Isobarics, Neat Vitos (once the neat flagship) Quad 57s and refurbed Ditton 66s. But I always end up back with ES14s, must have bought them 4 times!
There's your answer. I've done the same with LS3/5As. Nothing worked for me so I'm back with them and don't plan on wasting any more time!

There's your answer. I've done the same with LS3/5As. Nothing worked for me so I'm back with them and don't plan on wasting any more time!
Well, if this latest purchase doesn’t do it that will certainly be that!

I know this has been linked in other (of the countless) ES14 threads but still a good read.

Going OT here. This interview is new to me, & I enjoyed it. Thanks!

Speakers have the most diverse design approaches & sonic characteristics of all hi-fi components & I love seeing into the minds of their designers. Marshalls views on crossovers are fascinating. Mostly I agree with his preference for 1st order but I also appreciate the advantages of the insanely complex crossover of the LS3/5a. While openness & dynamics aren't its strengths, it has the best phase coherence of any box speaker I’ve heard.

I liked his final words: “With each successive year I learn a little more and then find that I know even less than I previously thought. On the day that I die I shall probably need to confess that this amazing reverse spiral has resulted in my not knowing anything at all.”

If I parted with my 14's I'd probably go for some active ATC's (19's or 40's). I think you'd be hard pressed to beat 14's for 1K though.

It took a pair of Shahinian Obelisk's to replace my Epos ES14's, wish I'd never traded them in though.
Did you try the ARCs?

Having heard the DIAP, HAWKS and having had the OBLSK at home for a while, I’ve always felt that the ARCs were a bit of a sweet-spot with Dick’s creations.

They do need quite a bit of power to sound their best, IMHO…

Maybe the OP would enjoy the ARCs?

I have considered the ARCs but, having recently become a bit of a convert to Audio Note SET amps, don't think they would work.

Did you try the ARCs?

Having heard the DIAP, HAWKS and having had the OBLSK at home for a while, I’ve always felt that the ARCs were a bit of a sweet-spot with Dick’s creations.

They do need quite a bit of power to sound their best, IMHO…

Maybe the OP would enjoy the ARCs?
Don't think I heard the ARCS's at the time. We went to demo equipment stands and the speakers used were Obs, later went back to hear the Obs again and bought them. Big mistake was hearing the Hawks, although they were beyond my budget.

We used to pump a clean 100W into the ARCs. They really came to life!

But agree they sound good anyway - in their own unique way.

advertisement

Back