advertisement

Replacing an Audiolab 8000A...?

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Where to start ?

Need something with 2 tape loops, phono stage mm/mc switchable, 3 line inputs (cd-tuner-aux) at least.

Not much out there with as many source inputs as that....unless you know different?

System comprises....Mission tt with m/c cart, Sony JB 940 deck, Nak LX3 cassette, Alpha 7 se cdp, Teac A3300 reel, Audiolab 8000T tuner, into TDL RTL 3 speakers.

Its fully working....just a bit taken by the negative comments hereabouts

Shouldn’t matter to you what other people think..?

… but having said that, I have a soft spot for Harman Kardon amps from the 90s. They typically had an engaging, forward and punchy sound. Such as this beast here or this here. Plenty of inputs, tape loops and mc/mm phono stage too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Keep the amp. Its a good one.

If you must spend some money then think about a mc phono stage or a SUT into the 8000a MM stage.

I'd keep the amplifier. There are (or were?) places that service and even modify/upgrade that model.

What I certainly would change are the speakers.

I had a pair of these some quarter of a century ago. Bought them cheap from RS and couldn't sell them fast enough.

Have you had it serviced Mike? A couple of us on here have had Kevin Green work on them. He's in Bicester (by that godawful shopping village), a bit far from you but I'd imagine he'd not mind it being shipped to him.

Last week I was doing some contact cleaning on my Exposure 2010s so temporarily put the 8000a back into use and honestly was surprised at how good things still sounded. Not quite as luscious as the Exposure but not far off, hence why I'm keeping hold of mine.

if you do ever decide to change it for an amp that doesn’t have as many inputs, check out Stan Beresford’s switching boxes. Knowing how his DAC’s perform, they are bound to be cost effective quality units.

if the sound is ok for you why bother changing it? On the other hand there are later Audiolab versions of that amp? The Audiolab sound is an aquired taste and you might find other amps just dont sound right. I remember listening to a Musical Fidelity amp and no thankyou just didnt sound right & as for Naim - my ears are still bleeding. So you have to be careful when changing manufacturers. One thing I will say going from 8000a to 8000c+8000p to 8000q+ pair of 8000M, the bass improves in depth and clarity

There was a 8000S at some point, was this supposed to be an improvement over 8000A ?
no idea of necessary inputs.

Then there is the 8000M or P with preamp of choice, if you like the Audiolab sound and fancy more boxes.

Well thanks for the comments guys...I have an Onix OA21 as well and that sounds much better. The 8000A is ok, but a little boring. I'm in no rush to change. I do have a Sony TA 5650 but it won't fit in the space in my unit....

You have to look far for finding a new preamp with TWO tape loops, already difficult to find ONE tape loop, unless you go vintage. Keep it and replace strategic elcos instead.

No harm in trying other flavours, if you buy used it's likely the cost will be small should you decide to keep the 8000A and sell whatever else you had tried. Years ago I bought an Audiolab 8000S new which I preferred to the A but from memory it didn't include a phono stage. I think you have to go vintage for such a spread of inputs.

Yes...the HK option looked a good one and I could try my Sony if I re-arranged everything...which I'd rather not.

advertisement

Back