advertisement

Replacing an Audiolab 8000A...?

What I certainly would change are the speakers.

I had a pair of these some quarter of a century ago. Bought them cheap from RS and couldn't sell them fast enough.

A mate had a pair, he sold them to another mate, and on both occasions they sounded slow and dull. For a long time after I assumed it was a transmission line trait until I heard some little IPL acoustics transmission lines.

I'd keep the amplifier. There are (or were?) places that service and even modify/upgrade that model.

What I certainly would change are the speakers.

I had a pair of these some quarter of a century ago. Bought them cheap from RS and couldn't sell them fast enough.

Oh dear....now you got me thinking. Most likely keep the 8000A...so what speakers would sound better then?

I went from an early 8000A to Naim32.5/110, 30 years ago. I still use my Revox A77 and Uher CR240 to record FM Radio 3 amongst other stuff. Also have loads of tapes of LP's, John Peel, Alan Freeman etc. Oh dear, that last one dates me!

I do...I make large reel tapes from vinyl, how else do I justify having a Teac A3300S?

I know you do the question was posted in general why as others have said you might struggle to find a modern amp with analogue (tape) loops. cassette and minidisc long dead - and if you do record to minidisc you would probably use a digital in/outs which some amps have esp digital preamps like the Audiolab 8200cdq. There is no modern replacement for cassette or minidisc ( reel tapes)? I suppose these days people (joe & mary bloggs) rip their cds on their computer ( even that is olde worlde) and as for LPS........the yoofs just like handling the artwork & smelling the ink. Then we have radio....

I have a feeling that (assuming the Sony is in good shape) this Sony will make many other amps feel dull :D

The chap selling the Sony TA F730 ES will go down to £270 which is good but it won't fit into my cabinet, therefore Audiolab gets to stay......oh well !
If anyone else wants the Sony its on FB marketplace

advertisement

Back