advertisement

Replacement volume pot for NAIM 32.5

OK. So if I am looking for a replacement for the Alps 20k black volume pot in my Naim 32.5, what is the best course of action? Should I hold out looking for an ebay posting, or try to find an alternative?

the alps "black beauty" hasn't been made for many years now so your chances of obtaining a drop in new old stock one are very slim indeed.

The normal solution is either an alps blue 20K or 50K or a noble 50K

Neither will fit the old space so they need to be hooked up with some short flying leads.

I used a Noble in my 72 and it was a worthwhile improvement. It's a bit fiddly though as you need to get the PCB out.

Andrew is correct , but I think Noble pots are no longer made , HiFi collective may still have some stock and Avondale do a little PCB that allows the Noble pot to be mounted straight onto the Naim mother board.The Noble pot is excellant.

to the OP - are your sure your ALPS black beauty is shot, and requires replacement? I understood these were pretty much hewn from granite and never wore out. Or is this impression some years out of date? What symptoms are you finding?

First off just try rotating it back and forth from 0 - full fairly fast...do it 16 - 20 times - fast, smooth, full range sweeps. Remember not to have any music playing at the time :)...it's often enough to clean off the tracks.

I has worked for me on more than one occasion..

if its scratchy - are you sure it's not cap failure in the preamp? that kind of noise in the 32.5 is often not the pot. HTH.

Spinfaster I have a 42.5 in the cellar you can have the Alps off that for postage. it's a mule for measuring diy mods so I won't miss it.

sq225917...
Do you have a paypal account? Let me know how much to send-to St Paul, Minnesota in the US 55116 and I'll send it on. Many thanks!

Ok. If you give me an email I'll send you some money via paypal and send on my address. If it turns out to be extra I'll make it up. Thanks.

It is good, but the goldpoint stepped attenuator is 'much' better..

SQ,

I'm interested in replacing the ALPS pot in my NAP72 so that I get an increase in the usable range of the volume control. I am also experiencing a bit of noise at lower volumes which seem to originate at the pot.

The Goldpoint pots appear to be the preferred replacements.

Today I can only use 5 degrees of rotation max. If any one can provide some guidance regarding which model would be the best suited I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

Your Pal

Louballoo

If anyone would like a custom fitting service for any replacement pots on any of the Naim pre-amps (except the remote controlled ones) then let me know. The selector switches on the 12,22 and 42 often go noisy and are nasty to solder so I'm happy to take them on as well.

Mark.

If anyone would like a custom fitting service for any replacement pots on any of the Naim pre-amps (except the remote controlled ones) then let me know. The selector switches on the 12,22 and 42 often go noisy and are nasty to solder so I'm happy to take them on as well.

Mark.

Mark, are you in the UK? How about the issue I'm having with only 5 degrees of useable rotation?

Louballoo

Hi Louballoo,

I'm in West Kent near Tonbridge.
Is it the current pot with 5 degrees of useful rotation? And what input(s) are you using?
Changing the pot for a different model will not change the level vs position as it's being used as potential divider. It follows a logarithmic law much like your hearing does. If it's far too loud then it sounds like your source level is far too high. Are you using 328 boards?

Mark.

advertisement

Back