advertisement

renewable energy

The one thing we have to call out are these ridiculous obfuscation and diversion tactics — is CO2 really increasing and if it is, is human activity to blame, is the Earth really warming and if it is, how can we be sure it's cuz of us.

O0WfAML.jpg

The latest ICPC report updates a powerful piece of evidence for anthropogenic climate change — a comparison of global temperature since 1850 from two sets of models, one that includes and one that excludes 170 years of CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels. Simply put, without anthropogenic greenhouse gases (what we're directly responsible for) the warming seen since 1850 simply doesn’t happen.

Joe

Good Morning All,

I was wondering whether to create a new thread but looking at existing ones this seemed most appropriate.

I am an ardent supporter of renewable energy but yesterday demonstrated that the UK government really does need to look like it has a plan going forward as I'm not convinced it does currently.

OK so the National Grid flashing up West Burton A yesterday has made both national and international news and it was providing 3% of the UK's power requirement. What doesn't seem to have made the news is that we were also importing 10% of our power requirement from France and Belgium along with the joke such as Drax biomass (arguable renewable credentials!!) providing another 7%.

Regards

Richard

Yeah but - the situation may not be ideal - but it is monumentally better than even a few years ago - and renewable energy will continue to rise. If only everywhere in the world was on the same track... some have greater challenges - our location and island status helps somewhat. Others get more sun, so will use more if that - did you see the size of the solar power station in China today? (it was on Musk's twitter feed)

People can be very odd about renewable energy and the way it’s generated.
One friend, a retired Headmaster, is very vocal about wind turbines.

A group of us were out walking and spotted a wind farm in the far distance.
My wife commented how she like them, seeing the group with all the blades rotating slightly out of sync.
The Headmaster, a vocal Yorkshireman, was more than vociferous about them.
“A blot on the landscape” was his comment, amongst others.

My wife, sometimes not the most diplomatic of people, said she loved electricity pylons.
She liked the different configurations, the glass/ceramic insulators and the way the cables were set.
( She copied the insulators for a college ceramics project )

Some time later, another of our walking group put an article on his Facebook about wind turbines
‘being blown up’ somewhere in the USA.
He was all for it.
I later checked the story and, as I thought, the old turbines were being replaced with new ones.

For myself, I embrace any technology that cuts down on fossil fuels for electricity production.
Locally, I watched fascinated as a solar farm was constructed.
Then happily watched the sheep wandering about the panels.

We, as individuals as well as a country, must fully support the move to renewable energy.
I pondered on this as I played with my Wife’s niece’s little boy of 17 months.
What will the world be like when little Felix is approaching 70 years old ?
I've heard similar conversations and, although wind turbines aren't exactly pretty, I say I'd rather look them than a power station.I used to live within a couple of hundred yards of a power station and it ain't eye candy.

The main problem is when they are sited in beauty spots. They are a blot on the landscape but the alternatives are worse.

More off-shore farms are the answer, although I can imagine that there is more maintenance required.
My grandson is 3 and know what you mean about the future.

Andy

I’m with you on power stations. I recall driving to Didcot in the ‘70s when they used coal.
It was an ugly looking place, not to mention the huge piles of coal.

I quite like the look of cooling towers from a distance, but seeing the whole place close up
no thank you.

advertisement

Back