advertisement

renewable energy

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi this might seem like a daft question, BUT what exactly is renewable energy, its banded about on adverts but what is it, thanks, I live in nottingham, NG2, ", and all our power comes from a huge coal powered fired 8 cooling towered powered, power station,

Typically solar, wind or sea turbines.
Apparently over 40% of the UKs energy is now generated in that way, which really surprised me.

OK but as i stated ALL mine come from the power station, nobody is going to lay cable from a wind turbine to my house, so how can i buy renew energy, i thought that was green energy, anyway,
also 40%, is a lot so why are we still building straw fired power stations all over the country,

thanks, but it doesn't matter who provides green energy all mine for the next six years will come from Radcliff power station,
i cant buy green its a lie,

If you Google ‘renewable energy’ you might get a better idea what it means.

Hi this might seem like a daft question, BUT what exactly is renewable energy, its banded about on adverts but what is it, thanks, I live in nottingham, NG2, ", and all our power comes from a huge coal powered fired 8 cooling towered powered, power station,

Power is distributed by a complex grid network known colloquially as the 'national grid' so the notion that your power comes from a specific power station is incorrect as it comes from the grid and the grid is currently anywhere up to 40% generated by renewables.

There is no such thing! Its a brainwashing term for energy that doesn't come from burning fossil fuels or using nuclear fission. Without that latter ALL other energy comes from our Sun and our Moon. At the end of the day its all being 'lost' if it is not used. Nothing is being 'renewed' rather we can exploit a minute fraction of the vast amount of energy that our Sun is radiating into space. Calculations have shown that just 2% of the Sahara desert can provide ALL the Worlds energy requirements as of today if we put our minds to it. Then there are other hot deserts as well that could be tapped. Its mind boggling how much energy the Sun actually puts onto our small World that we could if we wished utilise. Most of the Suns energy is just wasted going into space maybe for ever.........

The whole of life on the Earth is driven by the Suns energy.

Cheers,

DV

Anakin,

The whole of life on the Earth is driven by the Suns energy.

Some life on Earth gets its energy entirely via chemosynthesis near deep sea hydrothermal vents — enough energy to support entire ecosystems replete with bizarre critters like the yeti crab, which looks like a cross between a decapod and a Wookie. That was a bit of a mind blower when discovered.

Joe

I live in nottingham, NG2, ", and all our power comes from a huge coal powered fired 8 cooling towered powered, power station,

No it doesn't, they only fire up Ratcliffe once in a blue moon these days after prolonged periods of low wind. Last year they didn't fire it up for about 8 months, I've done work there and it is a ghost town, virtually moth balled.

If one can pay a little extra to get 'green' energy out of the wall socket, why can't one pay a little less and get only nuclear sourced?

I wish I could find the photo I took in Portlandia in 2008 of a housd with two V8 trucks in the driveway and a big sign hammered into the lawn with a picture of a wind turbine. THIS HOUSE USES RENEWABLE ENERGY.

I recently switched to a much better deal with Octopus who informed me my energy is now 100% from renewables.i have a code that gets you £50 credit too (if anyone wants it pm me).

If one can pay a little extra to get 'green' energy out of the wall socket, why can't one pay a little less and get only nuclear sourced?

I’m renewing my electricity contract and rates are a third more than 12 months ago. Sounds like a racket to me, where’s the coal option?!

Thanks matt, i did not know that, i know it only has about 6 years to go before they shut it down completely, but i didn't know they only fire it up as a backup,

I’m renewing my electricity contract and rates are a third more than 12 months ago. Sounds like a racket to me, where’s the coal option?!
Likely far more expensive which is why coal is being killed off all around the world (including US states which produce it).

People can be very odd about renewable energy and the way it’s generated.
One friend, a retired Headmaster, is very vocal about wind turbines.

A group of us were out walking and spotted a wind farm in the far distance.
My wife commented how she like them, seeing the group with all the blades rotating slightly out of sync.
The Headmaster, a vocal Yorkshireman, was more than vociferous about them.
“A blot on the landscape” was his comment, amongst others.

My wife, sometimes not the most diplomatic of people, said she loved electricity pylons.
She liked the different configurations, the glass/ceramic insulators and the way the cables were set.
( She copied the insulators for a college ceramics project )

Some time later, another of our walking group put an article on his Facebook about wind turbines
‘being blown up’ somewhere in the USA.
He was all for it.
I later checked the story and, as I thought, the old turbines were being replaced with new ones.

For myself, I embrace any technology that cuts down on fossil fuels for electricity production.
Locally, I watched fascinated as a solar farm was constructed.
Then happily watched the sheep wandering about the panels.

We, as individuals as well as a country, must fully support the move to renewable energy.
I pondered on this as I played with my Wife’s niece’s little boy of 17 months.
What will the world be like when little Felix is approaching 70 years old ?

advertisement

Back