advertisement

Rega RS7 Versus Harbeth Super HL5 loudspeakers

audiojoy, there's a make of louspeakers; i.e. ATC , which perfectly blend what you're after (a more tonal warmth plus the aforesaid Rega 's pro's) .
It's about cones in sealed-box design .

The majority of ATC designs are ported.

yes, but entry series aren't .
And these latter are best suited for comparisons in that price range .
Anyway ,ported or not , all use cones .

Antonio

as per the arguments above i am looking for an alternative to the paper/ plastic cone........... ceramic in particular

I am very certain that the Harbeths are not for me as i have seen music presented in a way that shows me the artists intent more clearly through the Rega RS7.... I can live with its weaknesses for now. (are you sure its not the other way round regarding who needs reassurance). Ultimately will look for a speaker which can have a more natural tonal warmth along with all its great bits. This takes us back full circle to the original argument, is the present cone technology capable of producing such a 'sound'? I think not. Not heard ceramics yet.... any one shed some light on these speakers???
You should really try the Harbs with a decent level Exposure or Naim amplification. IMO Rega amps do not have that bite or upbeat sound you are looking for at least paired with Harbs. I'm sure Rega amps have better synergy with their own speakers though. I'm aware that the Harbs may not be for everybody but with a right front end they really do have an ability to rock. If the amps are not having great grip or just are not the best match they can sound a bit dull.

I have managed to get a more even tonal balance out of the regas and an even more beguiling and intoxicating sound. I have moved them right into the room and closer to me about 8 feet away and about 7 feet away from the rear wall. Their skills at music making are even more obvious and the music is even more spellbinding. Rega know exactly what the art of music reproduction is all about.

I have received the 112 and 150 naim I will be interested to see if they can surpass this music making capability of the regas... some how i doubt it the regas are so good. Alas not one seller included interconnects, so i will need to order these before the comparison can begin

I would love to hear the R10 and i believe there was an r 8/9

Even tonal balance? With 7 ft away from the rear wall?
That is not how Rega designed that speaker. Perhaps you enjoy it that way, and that's fine.
Yet others perhaps interested in this speaker that your setup is very atypical of this speaker.
I am glad you are enjoying them.
The Rega Brio is a bad match, although with your dual design maybe fine.
The Rega Mira is what makes this speaker come alive. Try it if you can.
Normally the rs5's woofers are inward, the rs7's outward- although can be room dependent.

I have found this speaker to be incredibly fussy within my room and perhaps the bass traps and wooden flooring etc are not helping, i will play around more with the room. However, as it stands it is the best sound I have managed to get from them....... almost near field listening in my largish room. Against the rear walls and with the woofers outwards it sounded very lean tonally and the top end had poor 'contrast'

I am certain the present set up within my room is not only 'for my liking' and would be appreciated by most well trained audiophiles as a tonally more balanced sound.

advertisement

Back