advertisement

rega rs1: Brio R or Nait 5i

What about the PMC DB1's or even the Neat Motive 3's?
Really looking for something with a bit more upper bass impact.

Currently,my Brio R is driving a very large pair of paradigm bipolar speakers,these are primarily designed for AV use but to my surprise and delight work very well as a stereo front pair,at times i still think my REL Storm is connected such is the bottom end response,cue much grinning "Cheshire cat like"
Regards
Steve

Just an update:

Out Rega RS1
Enter Usher S520.

Immediate difference. The Ushers bass is fuller, meaty without loosing control, giving a sense of presence to the music that was missing in the RS1's. highs are a tad brighter and the mids not so present. Overall the Ushers sound warmer and fuller. Due to their sensitivity (86db) the Brio R volume has to open up a notch but nothing to worry about.

Initial thought: I can live with these speakers. they do not leave me wanting for more bass.

To be honest I am not looking for a system with the best possible sound quality (or whatever that is...) I just what something that I feel sounds good to me and puts a smile on my face.

But there is something that I miss from the Rega RS1...
they are quick, never missing a beat, mids & highs more natural than the Ushers. There is something special about the Rega RS1s and I now understand why they have so many followers. Although they do not have much bass, all the rest excels and they inject life into music. They are the kind of speakers that make you forget hifi and get on with the music.

unfortunately, for me, their lack of bass (in some genres...) is what puts me off.

Maybe the RS3s would fit the bill?

Regarding this Nait vs Brio question, the answer is simple to me; get an Onix 21S. There's one on ebay at the moment.

Two of us on this here forum did a comparison recently. Yes the Brio is decent, but the 21 is better in every way. The old minimalist shoebox beats the new.

Two of us on this here forum did a comparison recently. Yes the Brio is decent, but the 21 is better in every way. The old minimalist shoebox beats the new.

That's good to know - always thought the 21 was a lovely amp. A friend of mine still uses one (with SOAP) and sounds wonderful. Available cheap too, especially compared to Nait 2's etc (which the Onix beats imho).

Don't know idf it's been mentioned, but I've just started using a Heed Obelisk (the first model) and I find it brilliant!

Don't know idf it's been mentioned, but I've just started using a Heed Obelisk (the first model) and I find it brilliant!

Not surprised - designed by Richard Hay of Nytech/Ion Systems fame. Couple of little gems on eBay at the moment, namely an Obelisk 1 and an Obelisk 100. Tempted to go for one, just for the hell of it. :)

Just an update:

Out Rega RS1
Enter Usher S520.

Immediate difference. The Ushers bass is fuller, meaty without loosing control, giving a sense of presence to the music that was missing in the RS1's. highs are a tad brighter and the mids not so present. Overall the Ushers sound warmer and fuller. Due to their sensitivity (86db) the Brio R volume has to open up a notch but nothing to worry about.

Initial thought: I can live with these speakers. they do not leave me wanting for more bass.

To be honest I am not looking for a system with the best possible sound quality (or whatever that is...) I just what something that I feel sounds good to me and puts a smile on my face.

But there is something that I miss from the Rega RS1...
they are quick, never missing a beat, mids & highs more natural than the Ushers. There is something special about the Rega RS1s and I now understand why they have so many followers. Although they do not have much bass, all the rest excels and they inject life into music. They are the kind of speakers that make you forget hifi and get on with the music.

unfortunately, for me, their lack of bass (in some genres...) is what puts me off.

Maybe the RS3s would fit the bill?

Pretty decent description of RS1 merits
Proof its all about compromises
I'd wish Rega would come out with an extended RS1.5 with just a little bit of everything.

That's good to know - always thought the 21 was a lovely amp. A friend of mine still uses one (with SOAP) and sounds wonderful. Available cheap too, especially compared to Nait 2's etc (which the Onix beats imho).

Having owned OA21s though not compared to 5i or Brio-R its a damn good amp.
Just lacking the edge to Nait 2 IMO but much more universal and powerfull. Wish it would be relaunched as original, not just announced but actually made.
No longer a fan of buying older ones unless they could be serviced.
Only problem with Heed, they are too expensive

Proof its all about compromises
I'd wish Rega would come out with an extended RS1.5 with just a little bit of everything.
Isn't it proof that the speakers were the issue, rather than the sources or the amp?

Yes, I would think the Heed has to be the contemporary choice for minimalist black shoebox for old Onix or Nytech fans. As Per says though its not the bargain that the 21 was in its day.

Quite agree it's new price is off the mark in my opinion..I was lucky to find a used one. Having owned earlier models I have to say it's a stunning amp, and would love to try the matching power supply to see what that adds.
Using it with a Micromega DAC and some Neat Iotas...and very very happy!

Isn't it proof that the speakers were the issue, rather than the sources or the amp?

I don't see it that simple and OP did actually mention the losses by replacing his RS1

My experience and point, a source upgrade often lead to better performance, I would however take a look at the cabling too, believe its allready suggested

I don't see it that simple and OP did actually mention the losses by replacing his RS1

My experience and point, a source upgrade often lead to better performance, I would however take a look at the cabling too, believe its allready suggested
I think what the OP has described is evidence that the source wasn't the issue and that the speakers made an obvious difference in the area he has a problem with. This is not the same thing as saying he has the right speakers.

Cabling isn't going to have anything like the obvious effect of getting his speakers right.

Speaker change surely?

A change to a Class A amp may reveal more bass, as I can't imagine that the Brio and 5i provide much of a difference in that respect apart from the usual flavour of pace and rhythm associated with NAIM.

Agree.
Small stand-mount Rega models are lovely things but you have to accept the limitations at the bottom end from a 5" driver in a 5 litre ported box.

If you like the Rega loudspeaker sound, keep the Brio and trade up to perhaps RS5 or RS7 which effectively add a bigger bass section and let the excellent Rega main driver handle the mids.

Win win.

As an aside, if you simply want to moderately plump-up the existing bottom of the RS1, replace your loudspeaker cables with 10m lengths of the thinest bell wire you can find - I mean really thin. The additional loop resistance will EQ the RS1 to increase output around the bass driver and port tuning frequency. Just coil the surplus loosely and not too tight.

advertisement

Back