advertisement

rega rs1: Brio R or Nait 5i

Conan

Loop digger
I have some RS1`s and a Brio R.
Lovely combination, excellent highs, mids and a very controlled bass with good extension, but...
I do fell that the bass could be a bit more meaty and punchy.
Maybe it is my DJ background that is asking for some more impact. My Cerwin-Vega days are well behind me now but I do feel that there is room for improvement in my system.
I tried a Musical Fidelity B200 and the bass response improved ... at the cost of a less present mids.
The BrioR is quite competent when played at moderate to high volume but most of my listening is at night with low volume, just need a bit more presence and punch in the bass.
Would the Nait 5i fill that gap? Or is it a problem with the speakers? Or maybe changing my cables (interconnect is Nordost Blue Heaven, speaker cables DNM solid core)?
By the way, my room is 4 x 4m

I just went from a Nait 5i(-2) to a Brio-R some months ago!

I prefer the Brio-R, especially at modest, late night volume levels.
Last night I listened to some music shortly after midnight, at low listening level and with the Brio-R it's easier to follow details and individual instruments.
Regarding bass weight and control I think both amps are about the same.

The Brio-R is very sensitive to cables though! (also powerchords)

The Nait XS does have deeper bass than both the Nait 5i and Brio-R.
(although not as controlled as the Brio-R on higher levels in my experience)

I have the nait5i and I wouldn't say it has big bass, but just good all round sound.
I have nordost flatline gold speaker cable and red dawn interconnects, hooked up to dynaudio 1.3mkii speakers which do bass really well. But they are on my meridian system.

Speaker change surely?

A change to a Class A amp may reveal more bass, as I can't imagine that the Brio and 5i provide much of a difference in that respect apart from the usual flavour of pace and rhythm associated with NAIM.

IMO... Step up to the Rega RS3's or RS5's or even some 2nd hand Neat Motive 2's if you fancy deeper & more bass

If you want standmount speakers still the B&W CM5's I found work really well with the Brio R as do KEF R100s and the 300s...

The Sugden A21a is very good at low listening levels and presence, it sounds like a bigger amp. Not so sure about slamming bass though.

I have some RS1`s and a Brio R.
Lovely combination, excellent highs, mids and a very controlled bass with good extension, but...
I do fell that the bass could be a bit more meaty and punchy.
Maybe it is my DJ background that is asking for some more impact. My Cerwin-Vega days are well behind me now but I do feel that there is room for improvement in my system.
I tried a Musical Fidelity B200 and the bass response improved ... at the cost of a less present mids.
The BrioR is quite competent when played at moderate to high volume but most of my listening is at night with low volume, just need a bit more presence and punch in the bass.
Would the Nait 5i fill that gap? Or is it a problem with the speakers? Or maybe changing my cables (interconnect is Nordost Blue Heaven, speaker cables DNM solid core)?
By the way, my room is 4 x 4m

You allready have a mighty setup there, IMO some of the best in price range

Offcourse the small cabinets won't make eartquake bas

The RS1 are very effective driven(I have superb sound in similar room as you using ApolloR/DAC + TT with same amp/speakers as yours) and as such you won't gain much by a 5i amp maybe the Prat will be a touch faster but the BrioR will shine on other areas so it may result in a side move. If you get tougher speakers the 5i may be a better bet though

Sure the RS3 will provide more bas and maybe just what you need allthough some listeners actually prefer RS1 to RS3

For certain you have got your cabling all wrong so maybe just start there
The DNM is very rolled off/controlled in bas so go for some Rega cabling full out, the amp/speakers are developed on Rega cabling which is not expensive and I doubt it will pay off experiment, Roy would have choosen otherwise so I would'nt bother. On the contrary Rega cabling are voiced for best musical experience so don't cheat yourself with focus on some hifi effects from other cables.

Make sure your source is fine, at least on level with rest, this is very important as one will not gain by adding another more revealing amplifier if the source is crap, usually this are just getting worse, sh*t in sh*t out.

Oh and if your still a headbanger just connect the Vega's sometime inbetween

Thanks guys. Lots of diferent options here. I might start with the cheaper options first changing the speaker cables.
Just for reference my sources are a Marantz CD50 SE modified amd a SBT that I keep usinng more and more...

Yep, just what I thought

Source are weak link as I see it

Change this plus cables and for sure you'll have a brand new voicing(still not expect very deep bas though)

As much as I like the Rega RS1, it is never going to give you "meaty" no matter which amp and/or cables you use. It is a tiny speaker which does wonders but deep, powerful bass ain't one of them.

Some years ago when I was living abroad, I used a Nait 5i and some Usher S520 to great effect. The Ushers despite their small size produced a very satisfying bass ... for me, of course.

Also do not under estimate my Marantz CD50SE. It has been deeply modified and holds his ground against a lot more expensive CDPs

I think your speakers are to blame not the Brio-R.

How about some RS3's? All the character of the RS1's plus more bottom end and weight.

Also do not under estimate my Marantz CD50SE. It has been deeply modified and holds his ground against a lot more expensive CDPs

This could be the classic mistake

While ready to pay a grand for amp side way moves, some ignore the importance of source

"deeply modified"
putting Ferrari tires on a Ford won't do it all. Using SBT, the Rega amp/speakers deserve something much better

when I had my rs1s they worked at their best with all rega cabling and all rega amp and cd as they were designed to go together . Rega speakers do work well with naim amps but whether it would be what you were after you can only find out in a dem . The rs1s should be placed as close to the back wall as you can as this helps bass quite a lot , they may be a little bass light but a detailed and musical speaker and I enjoyed mine .

This could be the classic mistake

While ready to pay a grand for amp side way moves, some ignore the importance of source

"deeply modified"
putting Ferrari tires on a Ford won't do it all.

If only it was that straight forward...
The Marantz CD50 has got a Philips TDA1541A a very well regarded dac.
When I listened to this CPD after the mod. I sold my £700 cdp straight away. I trusted my ears. It is far better than the Squeezebox Touch.
I find myself listening music through my SBT (Flac) just because it is much more practical. Maybe a dedicated dac would improve things.

I still think that the lack of bass slam is due to the speakers. I like them quite a lot specially with electronic music but with some music from the 70 and 80s it sometimes leaves me wanting for more bass.
I have placed them quite close to the rear wall (about 8cm) and things did improve a bit.
I might give the RS3,s a go IF I can listen to them in my room

A dedicated DAC would improve things with the SBT, but don't expect miracles with your bass until you buy bigger / better speakers. I I owned R1s and though I liked them with my home office set-up, they were not exactly bass heavy. I have an external DAC with my SBT and there is no weak link there at all.

Best wishes,
Peter

advertisement

Back