advertisement

Rega RP1 motor vibration

[QUOTE="Craig B, post: 3276111, member: 36"
To which I would reply, asking the maker why he has seen fit to use a Delrin thrust plate at the bottom of his own make bearing sleeve for use with his captive ceramic ball spindle.

On a separate note, and without wishing to be critical of the maker's sub-platter assemblies, which look beautifully turned out btw, I think it disingenuous of him to demonstrate them from the perspective of how long they spin freely with no platter on top. That tells us nothing about the change in the mechanical closed loop brought about by switching to a super-hardness ball on plastic thrust pad; what we used to call an 'engineering solution negation'. Also, closed loop theory demands hard metal to metal, or ceramic to ceramic, at the critical minimal pivot point. Also his, 'no metal to metal contact' argument for using Delrin sleeves and pads is a red herring, as a properly lubed Rega spindle/bearing essentially runs on a thick film of gear oil, which in hydrology is known to be just as stiff as solid.

Yes, I suspect the ceramic ball to last until the earth gets sucked into a black hole as partial fuel for the next big bang in the infinite series of big bangs, especially so, if you go for the full-Monty captive ball on Delrin pad.:)
Unfortunately, with just the ceramic ball in, my OCD would have me pulling my Rega hub out and examining the spindle end with a magnifying glass, many times per year, until death do us part!

Thanks for the reminder of what this thread was originally about. I'll have a re-read of your earlier postings and possibly offer some more constructive help.[/QUOTe
I did ask 3pmengineering if the version of the subplatter/bearing he has for sale includes any Delrin thrust pad as shown on one of his YouTube vids but it does not, this is just the plain sleeve version in fact. He also states the spin demo shown in the vids is just to give an idea of the quality of the fit so not disingenuous at all rather quite honest it and would seem. Anyway enough of this closed loop thread for me now, quite illuminating.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that he was being dishonest, simply pointing out that demonstrating how long a higher moment of inertia flywheel spins relative to a lower one isn't fair.

If his intention was merely to show the quality of the fit of his product then perhaps he should have left the Rega parts out of the spin test portion of the demonstration.

Regardless, good luck with solving your motor noise issues.

Last edited:
Well for everyone who kindly offered valuable advice and assistance I finally effected a successful fix for this annoying 24v Rega motor humming. It took a while but eventually I got hold of SRM/Tech's brass Thrust Bearing. Although I knew this was designed to fit the earlier motors and the new 'High Performance' 24v is supposed to have a thrust bearing fitted already I gave it a shot. First off, getting the plastic 'bearing' off the motor took some effort but when it did come off there was no ball bearing inside so basically this is just an empty plastic cover/spacer as far as I can see with no grease inside either it's purpose is to press against the motor cover when fitted I think to help secure the motor.
Noticed right off there is no longer the little spacer/ring thingy on the bottom of the old motor that the SRM/Tech bearing is machined to fit snugly on to. No matter I cut one off an old motor I had kept after 'upgrading' to the new jobby and superglued that in the right place. Then it was simple to glue the new bearing directly to this fill it with moly grease, pop in ball bearing, more moly, adjust screw and set ball height to just touch the motor spindle.
This motor spindle does not suffer so much vertical movement as the earlier models so very little upwards thrust of the bearing was required to get the spindle to just sitting properly on the ball bearing.
Now it gets a tad confusing because while the innards were exposed I also secured the wiring to ensure it was not touching the plinth anywhere and also fitted a thick rubber elastic band around the bottom of the motor to hopefully damp any further vibration.
Result? A resounding success! No more audible motor hum that I can detect - none whatsoever - and playing a familiar disk was a revelation, truly! Clarity, definition, solid bass I could go on but the audible improvement is major and a large step up as far as I'm concerned.
I wouldn't claim it is solely due to the bearing but maybe a combination of all the tweaks done and would not suggest others try this on their 24v motors unless they can cobble together the proper fixing as I did. But for me it has worked out really well and I am happy now to just go back to enjoying my music again.

advertisement

Back