advertisement

Rega RP1 motor vibration

spikey_w

pfm Member
I've recently noticed there is a mechanical hum from the motor of my Rega RP1 turntable. I'm not sure if this just happened or been this way since new. Only found out when playing with the lid down, normally used without lid.

From my Internet research, lots of discussions seem to be centred on electrical hum but I've determined it is mechanical. If the lid is down, it can be heard about a foot away but without lid you need to listen right beside it and at eye level with the turntable.

I wonder if this is normal or should I get a replacement motor.

Unfortunately I bought this on ebay about 3 years ago from a dealer that is some distance from me and so isn't practical to travel there.

The humming noise can be heard a foot away with the lid down but without the lid I can just hear it with the ear right next to the front of the turntable. This is in a quiet room.

Please can any other Rega owners let me know if they can also hear this noise or not.

spikey w,

Take it any Rega dealer for him to asses, hopefully far more useful than asking open questions on a forum. Could I ask whether this has been audible for 3 years or is just a recent phenomenon ?

PD

I really don't know when this noise first appeared.

I've building work going on in the house so I'm using the lid to keep any possible dust out, usually is not fitted. So I only noticed it with the lid in place and closed whilst playing as the lid seems to amplify the humming sound like a speaker.

I think there is a phase shifting capacitor on the motor control board which gradually goes out of spec, this causes the motor to fight its self instead of rotating hence the hum.

I think there is a phase shifting capacitor on the motor control board which gradually goes out of spec, this causes the motor to fight its self instead of rotating hence the hum.

Thanks for the suggestion, you're right there is one but I think this is only for the 24V motor, mine is 240V AC. I haven't opened up the motor cover on mine but the replacement on ebay does not show any adjustable components. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP1-Turntable-Replacement-Motor-and-PCB-/391472642203?hash=item5b2596789b:g:qwEAAOSwnFZXUCwp

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
hp1, that is not the case for spikey w's deck.

All Rega motors are now 24v motors and are all now mounted using a new production technique and special tools that apply a specific and equal pressure around the motor / motor mount to minimise vibration and ensure absolutely correct orientation / positioning for accurate performance and reduction of noise.

PD

PD

I've contacted the dealer that I purchased my turntable from and explained in detail my problem. He assured me that with this model, you can expect a small amount of vibration and this is normal. I enquired about possible cost of replacement motor and nearly fell of the seat when I was quoted £129!!!

I decided to investigate further and opened the motor cover to check whether a problem can be found. The motor is firmly stuck down with double sided sticky pad and I could feel the vibration through the body of the motor. I like to clarify this is only a small amount of vibration but perceptible.

Would a drop of oil onto the spindle be of benefit?

Worth dripping a drop or two of fine oil down the spindle. Not too much and make sure the power is off. Move the spindle/pulley up and down a few times to let the oil settle and play for a while. Hopefully, this will quieten it down.

Give that a go. But I wouldn't worry, it's inevitable that a motor will vibrate and make some kind of noise (isn't it?) I can hear the one on my RP6 if I put my ear right next to the TT, when the room is quiet.

All motors vibrate. No doubt they select the best examples for the more expensive decks. Rega tt psu is very good for the money if your deck can be used with one.

I had an RP3 for a while. IIRC it didn't have any 'feet' on the lid, so if it fell shut it would land with an almighty thud. Perhaps some of those Blu-tak sticky dot things stuck to the platter where the lid rests, or on the edges of the lid might be of use? Even if it doesn't stop the vibration it might stop the lid resonating. Just an idea..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I4X82SC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
spikey w, the price of £129 is for a motor upgrade kit for all non 24v Rega turntables and this then allows the use of a TTPSU, as a consequence it is not entirely relevant in your case, whilst your TT IS non 24v it is not the required option per se.

Could I ask again that you get your TT to a Rega Franchised Dealer for him to assess and if a problem is diagnosed then a replacement motor will be supplied and fitted FOC.

PD

spikey w, the price of £129 is for a motor upgrade kit for all non 24v Rega turntables and this then allows the use of a TTPSU, as a consequence it is not entirely relevant in your case, whilst your TT IS non 24v it is not the required option per se.

Could I ask again that you get your TT to a Rega Franchised Dealer for him to assess and if a problem is diagnosed then a replacement motor will be supplied and fitted FOC.

PD

Thanks for clarifying the reason for the extortionate replacement cost was due to it being an upgrade kit and not just a like for like replacement.

You probably noticed I've been relunctant to visit a dealer, this is because I no longer have a car and so would need to use public transport and carrying a large box would not be easy. That's why I want to be certain before making the journey.

My turntable is about 4 years old and so out of warranty so not sure if a problem is found then a replacement will be FOC.

I found some sewing machine oil and will try a couple of drop on the motor spindle to see if this will dampen the vibration.

I've recently noticed there is a mechanical hum from the motor of my Rega RP1 turntable. I'm not sure if this just happened or been this way since new. Only found out when playing with the lid down, normally used without lid.

From my Internet research, lots of discussions seem to be centred on electrical hum but I've determined it is mechanical. If the lid is down, it can be heard about a foot away but without lid you need to listen right beside it and at eye level with the turntable.

Some half year ago I had customer with the very same symptoms, oil didn't hepled. I think for this model motor is somewhat weaker than in other decks or bushings wears out prematurely as there are other users on internets with same probem. I think Rega has sorted this out on actual batch as those was some 3 or 4 years old exemplars.

advertisement

Back