advertisement

Rega Planar 3 2016 worthwhile upgrades

Trick Cyclist, for clarification both the Planar 3 and the Planar 6 have a RB330 tonearm fitted as standard but the Planar 6 comes with the stainless steel counterweight.

@paul darwin does the current vta shim sold by rega fit the RB330, as my cartridge is taller than a rega one, and I want to fit a 5mm achromat?
Yes, but I doubt you would need one or hear any discernable difference due to VTA across different thickness records over the standard supplied mat (I stress VTA - not happy to open the different mat can of worms) as I'm guessing the clue is in the name and it is a mat :):)

Yes, but I doubt you would need one or hear any discernable difference due to VTA across different thickness records over the standard supplied mat (I stress VTA - not happy to open the different mat can of worms) as I'm guessing the clue is in the name and it is a mat :):)
Thanks, certainly not planning on opening a mat debate, just finding that the deck does not currently sound 'right' with a tall cart and a thicker mat than standard. I could try backing the vtf off a bit i guess as an experiment in the meantime...

@paul darwin does the current vta shim sold by rega fit the RB330, as my cartridge is taller than a rega one, and I want to fit a 5mm achromat?

Why a 5mm one? A 3mm one will be close enough to the standard thick felt one.

I had a 5mm Achromat for my LP12. I liked some of what it did but ultimately went back to felt. Importantly, I don't think the sound of the Achromat would suit a Rega deck. Just my opinion.

A shim only lifts the arm by 2mm and in my opinion it's just not worth it. I've got about half a dozen shims here, I have used them, but unless your cart is huge I wouldn't bother.

Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack, but to answer the questions posed above, the cartridge is a Hana ML, which is 2mm taller than a standard Rega cartridge; I have it installed now at the recommended vtf of 2g, and it sounds great using the standard felt mat.
I also possess a 5mm Achromat from a previous TT, that I have tried out, which does leave the arm quite tail down, and made the sound not as clear and a little wooly. That may be the Achromat, or it could be VTA, or something else, I'm up for experimenting, as I have it here.

Have to say though, there is one certain advantage to using the felt mat that I had forgotten about since not owning a Rega for a while; the ability to just pick a record up and flip it over to play the other side without stopping the motor, a great source of joy, and no popping through the speakers each time the neo is switched on again!

...does the current vta shim sold by rega fit the RB330, as my cartridge is taller than a rega one, and I want to fit a 5mm achromat?
For the record (tee-hee), your +3mm Acromat thickness difference relative to standard 2mm Rega felt will result in a 0.66º change in VTA.

Altering VTF will affect VTA/SRA far more than will a 2mm spacer. According to Rega's investigations, a 0.1g change in downforce will result in a circa 1.5º change in VTA at the cantilever with normal cartridges. This would equate to changing the height at the back of the tonearm by circa 6mm.

advertisement

Back