advertisement

Rega P3 sub platter

RoA

pfm Member
Its probably not worth spending much on 'upgrades' on this basic TT. I got it at a very good price so don't mind spending another few quid on it if it actually makes a positive difference whatever that means. I have been 'out of vinyl' for years and don't plan to fully indulge again.

So I got a Michell Techno weight for the RB330, which arrived today and a new Rega EBLT belt. Cartridge is an Exact 2.

The sub platter is of a moulded type. Would a machined sub platter make a difference? If so, Delrin or machined Alu? - I believe Rega uses metal sub platters on their more upmarket players?

Thanks

Thank you all. Those that did try a sub platter replacement, did you choose Alloy or Delrin and why?

I’ve use an alloy Tangospinner on my 80s Planar 3 since shortly after it came out, whenever that was; years ago. It’s so heavy I wonder if it’s made of stainless steel. I’d like to try a lighter one.

The standard Rega sub is fine until you try a metal one (or the TS anyway). Then the FR evens out & details become more apparent - all without changing the basic character of the deck. It simply makes the deck sound more mature. I feel mines been a good value mod.

That damping system for the Rega sub looks interesting & I like springers review. I’ve often wondered about filling the top of mine with Blutak or epoxy.

Michell Techno Weight. Not cheap but looks well made. I'll find out if it was a good buy today. Not easy to do an A/B though.

20230412-214500.jpg

As for the sub platter I probably try FidelityDesign's. Still not sure about the material though. Aluminium looks smarter but I can't help thinking Delrin would have the upper hand.

The Technoweight stability argument is a red herring with pre-loaded ball-race bearings, as per Rega tonearms. Certainly a low slung weight does make a difference with uni-pivot arms, but these are not part of Michell's marketing. Folk tend to confuse the concept of lowered centre of mass with that of lowered vertical pivots, with the former being complimentary with the latter, both of which Edgar Villchur built into his original AR-XA tonearm, released back in 1961 (with the intention being reduced record warp 'wow'). The main reason why users of Technoweight perceive a difference in sound will be primarily down to this not being decoupled (same as all the aftermarket competition with hard plastic sleeve and set screw).

A groovetracer subplatter upgrade on my previous P3-24 was the most significant upgrade I did to that table and I did quite a few of them.

I did the groovetracer too. What I noticed was better speed stability, lower noise, and more detail. If I had it to do again I'd probably take a chance on the Tangospinner just due to the price difference.

It took a little persuasion to get the original stub out though

Looks good. I imagine it's easy to damage the bearing because those stubs are tight in my experience. Does the arm float properly at all angles, it shouldn't stick anywhere.

Not a fan of so called Planar upgrades unless they come in cheap.
Otherwise I'd go up Rega hierarchy.
Most people haven't a clue about taking care of tonearm bearings when fitting other stub/counterweight, not to mention sub bearing.

I believe its hard to resell the bodged stuff, I'd never buy anything like that myself.
Maybe keep all parts for future resell.

advertisement

Back