advertisement

Rega Naia

I may even end up going without a TT for a while & then start off on a different tack. I really like my LP12 but struggle with the concept of spending £2k on upgrades when it will look just the same.

I did pretty much that and have ended up with a Michell Gyrorbe/3300/Ania that has been completely left alone since the day I bought it and is all the turntable I'll likely ever need... although I may try a Supatrac on it one day I don't feel the need to upgrade it... it just plays my music and does it rather well as far as I am concerned.

When we post about our turntable experiences we usually get challenged on cartridges, amps, speakers and rooms being different unless it was controlled A-B comparison. But when you live with a turntable I still think you learn its fundamental character and whilst people like some turntables that have underwhelmed me I value them talking about their references. this is a general thought, not directed at PFM.

I’ve personally owned Pink Triangle, LP12, Spacedeck, SME10 and the current RP10. I’ve heard a few others including Gyrodek, SME20 and P9 and whilst I didn’t buy a P9 at the time I was impressed and felt similarly to Tim. So whilst I would love to have a Dais, a Brinkmann and a Yamaha GT-5000 as decisions from the heart if I was ridiculously wealthy, I expect I’m one of those that would move them on unless kept as eye candy and would find the NAIA stunning.

Whilst Colin and some others didn’t get on with it, I’m still amazed putting vinyl I haven’t heard for years onto my now lowly RP10 (RB2000 & Hana ML), I just get an insight (detail, clarity and tuneful flow) I simply didn’t get from my previous turntables. Funny old world how we hear things differently.

I did pretty much that and have ended up with a Michell Gyrorbe/3300/Ania that has been completely left alone since the day I bought it and is all the turntable I'll likely ever need... although I may try a Supatrac on it one day I don't feel the need to upgrade it... it just plays my music and does it rather well as far as I am concerned.
I’ve just been listening to the recent Paul Simon , 7 Psalms, on Qobuz & it sounded simply stunning. My TT is just gathering dust.

What was it that moved you?
Incredible musicality, very direct, emotional sound, efortless, relaxed. Never heard something like that. P10 is great, but Naia is IMHO another dimension. I will never buy it, but I can experience what is possible.

I’ve just been listening to the recent Paul Simon , 7 Psalms, on Qobuz & it sounded simply stunning. My TT is just gathering dust.
When I decided I wasn't using vinyl enough to warrant keeping my fully spec'd up LP12 I sold the Linn but luckily kept my records. Glad I did as I went back to them 3 years later. If you're not using the LP12 move it on, you can always come back to vinyl when you're ready and take a different path too... just don't sell those records :D

The trick the SME20/3 used to pull off for me was that the music would somehow hover independently of the system. It didn't sound like something was reproducing it. Other decks hint at this - but at the time I'd heard nothing quite like it, including from any digital source. The P10 can show signs of this, but my hunch is that they've pulled it off with the Naia. And at this price point, it's kinda SME they're competing with.

When I decided I wasn't using vinyl enough to warrant keeping my fully spec'd up LP12 I sold the Linn but luckily kept my records. Glad I did as I went back to them 3 years later. If you're not using the LP12 move it on, you can always come back to vinyl when you're ready and take a different path too... just don't sell those records :D
Yes, I will be keeping the records. I think it’s laziness with me & also digital sounds so good.

For those who heard the Naia, was it with an Aphelion or has anyone heard it with another cartridge? I have a Hana Blue and was especially interested if anyone had heard the Rega with that.

In case one didn't know, Youtube now features universal Closed Caption Auto Translate into many languages.

Simply click on the "CC" icon -lower right.
Then click on the "Settings" cog icon -just to the right of where the CC icon is- and select "Subtitles/CC", then click on "Auto-translate" and select the language you want to read, done.

...This worked well for this video, although unfortunately the Auto-translate feature doesn't seem to want to carry over in a direct link form.

"The plate is very, very, very good"
:) Auto-translate! The plate here is the word 'plato', as in 'un plato giradiscos'. 'Un plato' can mean 'a plate/dish/cymbal'. Here, it means turntable or deck.

When you read 'capsule', it's a straight translation of the word 'cápsula'; in context, it should be cartridge.

And when he talks about mass turntables ('masa'), he's definitely talking about mass, not dough.

"First new moving magnet cartridge in thirty five years and we don't have a name for it" An Exact replacement I wonder.

"First new moving magnet cartridge in thirty five years and we don't have a name for it" An Exact replacement I wonder.
Likely to replace both Exact and Elys, I recon. I proposed the name 'Elysian' in another thread (or was it in this one?), thinking that this pays homage to Elys which preceded Exact.

The only question that remains (for moi) is whether or not this particular machine will be used in the same way that it is at present (note the angle of the Elys that is sitting within the jig/magnetization field). Excluding QC checks, this is the second last production step with the current models, followed by electrically and physically fitting the metal shield.

visite-usine-rega-19.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a still that I extracted from Rega's '50x 33 and a Third' anniversary video for the other thread (ironically entitled 'New Ortofon 2M range' *).

I imagine that Rega will be showing this off at the 2024 Bristol show in February.

"...and you can expect some world exclusive previews at the show."

Rega-MM-new-prototype.png

* The real iron-y of which is yet to be revealed. (Proverbs: What Ortofon has put asunder, so shall Rega reap.)

Last edited:
I heard the Naia at an open evening at a local dealer where a Rega employee was doing a bit of a roadshow around some dealers and showcasing the new deck. It was a full Rega system in terms of cartridge, phono stage and amp, but with some nice Neat floorstanding speakers.
I haven't heard a P10 before. Most of my Rega deck experience has been various Planer Three's over the years and using the RB250/300 arms on various decks.
Given the price, the fanfair around it's arrival and the resulting expectation, I was quite underwhelmed by the sound tbh. It was decent enough, with a fairly broad, stable soundstage, even representation across the frequency range and a neutral overall presentation. It was even handed with the variety of music played, however I felt it lacked rythmic ability, and certainly no 'boogie' factor. It was a little boring in fact...
I know Neat's are very capable, having heard them with different amps/systems, so I wondered if the all-Rega remainder of the system was the culprit, and perhaps some more variety of amplification and or cart / phono stage is needed.
Also, weirdly it seemed to get slightly better over the hour I listened to it for, despite the fact it had been played for several hours before that... I wondered if this was a very new cartridge or simply everything needed several hours to start to come good?..
So, a bit of a disappointment really.

advertisement

Back