advertisement

Rega Naia

Seen and heard one of these decks recently for the first time.

I would suggest you forget everything you think you know about how Rega decks sound - I thought this deck sounded fabulous and reminded me a bit of the Pink Triangle Anniversary in its natural, open and powerful delivery. Looks great in the flesh, well done Rega.

PS: sounded so musical in combination with the new Musical Fidelity A1 which is the Hifi bargain of the last 5 years. Would make a great high end exotica “starter” combo……😃

At last, someone's actually heard one.

You’d need to fit a Rega Carbon then and go proper mullet with an IO and a NAIA - old skool flat earth.

The new A1 has a fabulous MM/MC phono stage. The hifi bargain of the last 5 years……
"Mullet" isn't what you think it is. Specifically, it is short up front and long out back, a la Guy LaFleur of NHL hockey fame. Depending upon loudspeakers chosen, Naia/IO would be heading in the opposite direction, i.e. heavily source first, aka old school Flat Earth.

"Mullet" isn't what you think it is. Specifically, it is short up front and long out back, a la Guy LaFleur of NHL hockey fame. Depending upon loudspeakers chosen, Naia/IO would be heading in the opposite direction, i.e. heavily source first, aka old school Flat Earth.
I guess Mullets are directional, like speaker cables…….🚀

I guess Mullets are directional, like speaker cables…….🚀
It's important to get the direction right if you happen to be playing hockey.

From Wikipedia:
"The tellum or reverse mullet (also referred to as a frullet) is a hairstyle similar to the mullet. "Tellum" is "mullet" spelled backwards. While a mullet is short in the front and long in the back, the opposite is true for a tellum."

Emo_hair.jpg

Seen and heard one of these decks recently for the first time.

I would suggest you forget everything you think you know about how Rega decks sound - I thought this deck sounded fabulous and reminded me a bit of the Pink Triangle Anniversary in its natural, open and powerful delivery. Looks great in the flesh, well done Rega.

PS: sounded so musical in combination with the new Musical Fidelity A1 which is the Hifi bargain of the last 5 years. Would make a great high end exotica “starter” combo……😃

How was the Naia used with the MF A1 phono stage? I thought Rega tonearms were incompatible with current mode phono stages. Or, was a different phono stage used?

How was the Naia used with the MF A1 phono stage? I thought Rega tonearms were incompatible with current mode phono stages. Or, was a different phono stage used?
The Aphelion 2 has an internal impedance of 10 ohm and this worked fine with the internal phonostage of the A1

The Aphelion 2 has an internal impedance of 10 ohm and this worked fine with the internal phonostage of the A1

Interesting. I thought it has to do with how the Rega tonearms are wired…here is a snippet from Channel D, who also makes a current mode phono stage.

Briefly, any phono cable/tonearm combination where twisted-pair-conductor cables are employed and the two conductors are not connected to the turntable (or shield) ground can be used. An example of a tonearm/cable that can’t be used would be a standard Rega ’arm where the shield is connected to one of the outer shells of the RCA, which is also a signal connection.

MF describes it here:

Phono Stage​

The A1 employs a discrete current-mode input stage for lowest noise amplification of MC and MM cartridges. A low noise current to voltage conversion stage is used for further amplification and RIAA equalization. Automatic input impedance matching for the selected MC input, along with increased gain increases the versatility of the A1‘s phono stage.

Yet in the manual, they specify 1k loading for MC cartridges.

So, which is it? 1K resistor loading for MC cartridges or current sensing and variable depending on the mc cartridge used?

MF describes it here:

Phono Stage​

The A1 employs a discrete current-mode input stage for lowest noise amplification of MC and MM cartridges. A low noise current to voltage conversion stage is used for further amplification and RIAA equalization. Automatic input impedance matching for the selected MC input, along with increased gain increases the versatility of the A1‘s phono stage.

Yet in the manual, they specify 1k loading for MC cartridges.

So, which is it? 1K resistor loading for MC cartridges or current sensing and variable depending on the mc cartridge used?
Are they identical in design ? Is this technically correct - not sure.

I wonder how many people have used Dynavector phono stages in Dr T mode and Rega tonearms ?

All I know is that sounds were coming out that sounded pretty good……..

Interesting. I thought it has to do with how the Rega tonearms are wired…here is a snippet from Channel D, who also makes a current mode phono stage.

Briefly, any phono cable/tonearm combination where twisted-pair-conductor cables are employed and the two conductors are not connected to the turntable (or shield) ground can be used. An example of a tonearm/cable that can’t be used would be a standard Rega ’arm where the shield is connected to one of the outer shells of the RCA, which is also a signal connection.
As far as any phono input is concerned, having either Lch-ve (Rega) or Rch-ve (classic Thorens, Garrard and others) connected to tonearm metal makes no real difference, as, technically speaking, there is no signal to earth connection, only tonearm earth piggy backing on a single conductor.

Of course, it is possible that a particular phono stage doesn't connect signal negatives to chassis, nor pass these connections further along to earth via output cable(s) or dedicated earth wire, in which case the standard Rega ground scheme may not always work at its best, but can always be worked round via creating such a path if necessary (same as with the typical dedicated earth wire scheme from arm metal to phono stage).

Are they identical in design ? Is this technically correct - not sure.

I wonder how many people have used Dynavector phono stages in Dr T mode and Rega tonearms ?

All I know is that sounds were coming out that sounded pretty good……..
I have, for many years, though in the past, with a DV17D2/3 into a P75 from a Rega P9.

The "new" A1 is a very interesting amp - and I say that as a Class A enthusiast and Sugden owner.

I have, for many years, though in the past, with a DV17D2/3 into a P75 from a Rega P9.

The "new" A1 is a very interesting amp - and I say that as a Class A enthusiast and Sugden owner.
It was a revelation tbh. A bit sweeter sounding than the Sugdens I have heard but a very similar musicality

advertisement

Back