advertisement

Rega Naia

Of course they have, but in various unsatisfactory ways if your priority is rigidity at the arm base. Some of them are as primitive as a single grub screw. The spacer route is possibly the least-worst option in that respect. This is a current issue for me, as I'm contemplating a non-Rega cart for my P10. I would actually rather use a spacer(s) machined to a specific measurement in some respects.
Yes this is my point really as you move up the price range users may well expect more in terms of cartridge matching. I really like AT carts, have no idea whether one would work in their arms?

Yes this is my point really as you move up the price range users may well expect more in terms of cartridge matching. I really like AT carts, have no idea whether one would work in their arms?
I used DVs quite successfully on an RB1000. The 17D2 (as it then was) has the same effective height as Rega carts, but I also used a TKR with a shim.

I take your point, but mine is that I think I would prefer to shim an upper Rega arm than have a mount which was secured by a grub screw in the name of "cartridge matching". This may seem like Gandy-zealotry on my part, but there is something in it.

I used DVs quite successfully on an RB1000. The 17D2 (as it then was) has the same effective height as Rega carts, but I also used a TKR with a shim.

I take your point, but mine is that I think I would prefer to shim an upper Rega arm than have a mount which was secured by a grub screw in the name of "cartridge matching". This may seem like Gandy-zealotry on my part, but there is something in it.
Fair enough. Is it a case of grub screw or nothing though? Are well made adjustable arms available? I’m not sure I buy onto the total rigidity argument. For example an equivalent SME TT will probably have more adjustable parameters? Or Avid or even the dreaded Linn?

Anyway it’s all moot for me as I am bit of a TT sceptic at the moment;)

Couldn’t find specs for Rega phono cartridges for stylus tip to top of cartridge but the typical spec for AT cartridges is around 17mm. I imagine most every Rega cartridge has very similar spec to match their tonearm.

Fair enough. Is it a case of grub screw or nothing though? Are well made adjustable arms available? I’m not sure I buy onto the total rigidity argument. For example an equivalent SME TT will probably have more adjustable parameters? Or Avid or even the dreaded Linn?

Fair points - I can't remember how the height adjusting mechanism works on (eg) an SME V, and there must be better mechanical solutions to that than a grub screw. That said, I do buy into the rigidity argument - just as I buy the point that you really don't want the arm base moving relative to the main bearing.

Fair points - I can't remember how the height adjusting mechanism works on (eg) an SME V, and there must be better mechanical solutions to that than a grub screw. That said, I do buy into the rigidity argument - just as I buy the point that you really don't want the arm base moving relative to the main bearing.
Yep, get that, I suppose the amount of movement is potentially exaggerated in it's effect? It can't be that difficult or costly to develop a solution? Ultimately there are lots of choices & it's a question of deciding what your needs are. To be fair you are one of the few who've had upper level SME & Rega for an extended period.

The VTA thing isn't quite as bad as those decks you occasionally see here, where the arm is mounted completely separately to the motor unit, sometimes in a pod with its own compliant feet. That makes me feel downright nauseated.

The VTA thing isn't quite as bad as those decks you occasionally see here, where the arm is mounted completely separately to the motor unit, sometimes in a pod with its own compliant feet. That makes me feel downright nauseated.
I was lucky to spend a few days with a Verdier Platine running Lyra's best cart on a Graham arm. Not even the slightest hint of nausea. Although I did suffer from sleep loss because I couldn't stop listening to the thing.

I was lucky to spend a few days with a Verdier Platine running Lyra's best cart on a Graham arm. Not even the slightest hint of nausea. Although I did suffer from sleep loss because I couldn't stop listening to the thing.

Good for you. If I'd spent that much, I'd probably think something was amazing too :) .

Doesn't change the principle that minimising relative movement between the bearing and the arm is probably a good idea if you're tracking physically tiny grooves.

Roy Gandy's views on VTA/SRA are forthright and not to be dismissed. He didn't get where he is by making diametric mistakes. What if people who hear differences after VTA adjustment aren't hearing the SRA change (as Roy claims), but are instead hearing changes to the vertical resonance of the cantilever-suspension-pivot system as a result of moving the pitch pivot several percent towards or away from the zero-vertical-bias plane (the record surface).

That way Roy could be right and the VTA-fiddlers could be right.

It could be that arms which have the pitch pivot at or near record level are not so fussy about VTA because the vertical torque reaction is an order of magnitude smaller - there's almost no vertical bias to adjust.

Here’s a shot of the Linn Ittok arm collar and you can see two rise points opposite the grub screw. This creates a three point contact with the tonearm once adjusted for VTA. The arm collar attaches to a wood laminated or aluminum arm board depending on the spec of the sub chassis.

pJzObwe.jpeg

Rega eliminates/improves these mechanical connections and mounts the tonearm to a very rigid ceramic material. If I were to get a Naia I would certainly use a Rega phono cartridge which are custom made for the turntable and do not compromise the design and intended performance.

Roy Gandy's views on VTA/SRA are forthright and not to be dismissed. He didn't get where he is by making diametric mistakes. What if people who hear differences after VTA adjustment aren't hearing the SRA change (as Roy claims), but are instead hearing changes to the vertical resonance of the cantilever-suspension-pivot system as a result of moving the pitch pivot several percent towards or away from the zero-vertical-bias plane (the record surface).

That way Roy could be right and the VTA-fiddlers could be right.

It could be that arms which have the pitch pivot at or near record level are not so fussy about VTA because the vertical torque reaction is an order of magnitude smaller - there's almost no vertical bias to adjust.
Isn’t that what Geoff Husband of TNT audio suggested a few years ago?
His article is excellent reading.

Here’s a shot of the Linn Ittok arm collar and you can see two rise points opposite the grub screw. This creates a three point contact with the tonearm once adjusted for VTA. The arm collar attaches to a wood laminated or aluminum arm board depending on the spec of the sub chassis.

pJzObwe.jpeg

Rega eliminates/improves these mechanical connections and mounts the tonearm to a very rigid ceramic material. If I were to get a Naia I would certainly use a Rega phono cartridge which are custom made for the turntable and do not compromise the design and intended performance.
Interesting, my point still stands though. At a more elevated price point users may expect more adjustment?

Then again those that love Rega will continue to do so.

Great article - thanks for the link. I think I must have read it at some time in the past as it seemed familiar. What it doesn't go into is the dynamic response of the arm to musical signals, and the possibility that small changes in arm pillar height could dramatically alter those responses since it is a resonant system.

Here’s a shot of the Linn Ittok arm collar and you can see two rise points opposite the grub screw. This creates a three point contact with the tonearm once adjusted for VTA.

At the risk of sounding like one, Linn's collar has an eccentric lesser bore so that the lock bolt presses the pillar against two rails, not points. Jelco and others also made it this way. It's good and rigid, but Linn arm users will know that the sound is quite dependent on bolt tightness. I use this scheme in the arms I make too but mysteriously I do not find that bolt tightness has nearly as much effect on the sound. I consider that a good thing. I wonder if too much torque on a Linn pillar deforms it elastically, affecting the yaw bearings within the column.

Having recently substituted arms on my Naia at the Bristol show I can confirm that a gripped sliding pillar works perfectly well on the deck and so Rega could easily use this scheme to provide VTA adjustment if it wished. Even in the comments under Michael Fremer's review VTA-fiddlers are lamenting that they can't set SRA for each pressing. Where's the joy? I think the Naia is superb, including its beautiful arm. If I could afford to keep it I wouldn't be selling it. It had no problem with the Audio Technicas VM540ML and AT33Sa. Lovely deck.

Even in the comments under Michael Fremer's review VTA-fiddlers are lamenting that they can't set SRA for each pressing. Where's the joy?

Indeed. Many things in TT set up are essentially compromises or least-worst calculations. The growth in 180 or 200gm pressings during the vinyl revival has led me to a smidge of sympathy for the fiddlers, but nothing like enough to want to join them.

Indeed. Many things in TT set up are essentially compromises or least-worst calculations. The growth in 180 or 200gm pressings during the vinyl revival has led me to a smidge of sympathy for the fiddlers, but nothing like enough to want to join them.
I once read a guy saying he started his TT 24 hours before a planned listening session to ‘warm it up’. I do think some people need saving from themselves, I saw an £11k pair of speaker cables advertised in the trade section. Just beggars belief.

advertisement

Back