advertisement

Rega Naia

I’ve been reading all the reviews and seems to be getting fantastic press.

After owning probably 8 tt's I still love my LP12. I just like the way it sounds, even if it could be classed as coloured I like It!

Everything new is the best thing ever until people start to appreciate agaIn what they have.

I’ve been reading all the reviews and seems to be getting fantastic press.

After owning probably 8 tt's I still love my LP12. I just like the way it sounds, even if it could be classed as coloured I like It!

Everything new I the best thing ever until people start to appreciate agaIn what they have.
I had an RP10 for two years. Initially I was so impressed I sold my LP12 and had no intention of going back. After a while I realised I just wasn't loving the music in the way I used to. The sound was impressive but the soul was missing and no amount of cartridge swaps or tweaks fixed it.

Eventually I called it a day and built another LP12 but a bit higher spec than the old one. It's a bit better again now and I have no intention of ever selling it. My kids can have it when I die. The music is back.

Most likely like many of you I have listened to many, many turntables over the past decades. Cheap ones, expensive ones, very expensive ones. As a rule, the more expensive, the better, better dynamics, more detail, better stereo stage, more musicality and so on. Yesterday I had another opportunity to listen to the Naia at my dealer's, this time I brought some of my LPs. And again I was shocked. IMHO the Naia is something completely different, something that can't be compared with any other turntable, maybe a little bit with the P10. I don't know what this is due to. Maybe the fact that the Naia, the tonearm, the Aphelion and the Aura phono are like a tuned whole. I have never heard such an amazing reproduction of music.
I'm not interested in the construction details, just the result itself. And the result is that it looks like these various design details are just the right solutions.

Yes, it is quite amazing!

DYMEKzd.jpg

I bought one last week and after five days of ownership I can say what an incredible sound partnered with the Aphelion 2. From delicate tempo to footing tapping rock, there is clarity, detail, balance. There is a sublime naturalness, absolutely astonishing. I have it partnered with an Aura phono stage, which makes it a marriage made in heaven.

Yes, it is quite amazing!

DYMEKzd.jpg

I bought one last week and after five days of ownership I can say what an incredible sound partnered with the Aphelion 2. From delicate tempo to footing tapping rock, there is clarity, detail, balance. There is a sublime naturalness, absolutely astonishing. I have it partnered with an Aura phono stage, which makes it a marriage made in heaven.
Cosimoss, what else is in the system? Is that a devialet remote?

@cosimoss Are you finding the Aura much better than the built in Devialet stage? I probably can't stretch to a Naia yet, but may have an option on a P10/Aphelion/Aura which is being traded in

From one of those 35-year-old Hi-Fi Heretic issues (#13) I mentioned a few weeks ago:

“The RB300 tonearm's design bespeaks a relentless pursuit of rigidity. The arm tube (an engineering tour de force) is a one-piece aluminum casting, offering far greater mechanical integrity than the typical multi-joint arm assemblies favored by other manufacturers. Of course, such a casting makes headshell azimuth adjustment impossible. Similarly, while other tonearm manufacturers favor traditional sliding pillar/set-screw height adjustment, Rega reject such a scheme due to its mediocre mechanical coupling. Instead, the RB300's pillar is threaded, with a large hex nut tightened from underneath to firmly clamp the arm directly to the plinth. Height adjustment is achieved by adding machined steel spacers between the arm and plinth. Not as convenient as a sliding pillar, but structurally (and musically) superior. "Temporary (installation) convenience, permanent (sonic) impairment" is not a credo Rega endorse.”

I’m guessing other arm manufacturers manage this towering feat of engineering. The arms of old did sit on far cheaper TTs. I’m not sure how important this is, probably less than cartridge adjustment?

I’m guessing other arm manufacturers manage this towering feat of engineering. The arms of old did sit on far cheaper TTs. I’m not sure how important this is, probably less than cartridge adjustment?

Of course they have, but in various unsatisfactory ways if your priority is rigidity at the arm base. Some of them are as primitive as a single grub screw. The spacer route is possibly the least-worst option in that respect. This is a current issue for me, as I'm contemplating a non-Rega cart for my P10. I would actually rather use a spacer(s) machined to a specific measurement in some respects.

Of course they have, but in various unsatisfactory ways if your priority is rigidity at the arm base. Some of them are as primitive as a single grub screw. The spacer route is possibly the least-worst option in that respect. This is a current issue for me, as I'm contemplating a non-Rega cart for my P10. I would actually rather use a spacer(s) machined to a specific measurement in some respects.
I used various carts on my RP10 and tried them with and without spacers. Unless the cart is redicoulsly deep I wouldn't worry about it. I found it made very little difference, less than a slight change of tracking force. If you do want to fit a spacer though it's very easy. Three bolts and the cable screw underneath. Just be careful as the arm fixing bolts are very low torque, just nip them up.

I used various carts on my RP10 and tried them with and without spacers. Unless the cart is redicoulsly deep I wouldn't worry about it. I found it made very little difference, less than a slight change of tracking force. If you do want to fit a spacer though it's very easy. Three bolts and the cable screw underneath. Just be careful as the arm fixing bolts are very low torque, just nip them up.

I know, I've shimmed Rega arms before, and am familiar with debates about VTA. I use the split shims so that the whole arm doesn't need to come off.

We're not all new to turntables on PFM... :)

advertisement

Back