advertisement

Rega Naia

I understand terms such as timing, transparency etc as I can hear them.

So more musical then?

Seriously, are timing and transparency musical or not? Because it seems to me that if the timing you're looking for isn't musical, you may as well read a good book instead.

I don't think it was Rega that was responsible for pushing the 'more musical' meme.

I think what’s so frustrating about it is that it’s tautological. I know what a musical laugh is, or a musical waterfall, but musical music? Sorry it’s maddening.

The Naia at Bristol was an early pre-production prototype for display purposes only, so to demonstrate that would be somewhat misleading.

Later production prototypes are built and trialled prior to full production and the manufacturing tolerances on the finished production models will be more accurate and would therefore easily outperform the early prototype seen at Bristol.

We listen to every production model to ensure that they sound at least as good and generally better than the very early prototypes.

I think what’s so frustrating about it is that it’s tautological. I know what a musical laugh is, or a musical waterfall, but musical music? Sorry it’s maddening.

You will know what musical music is if you ever hear my wife sing.

Roy Gandy, my wife and I had a laugh about this in the SUPATRAC room at Bristol. Roy's partner's sings idiosyncratically too, so I hear ;-)

I shall try to justify the terms. To me, transparency is when detail and individual sounds are clear and separate through each level of the soundstage. Timing is to do with transients and smearing of notes. The combination of a turntable, correct set up and the stylus are crucial of course. Using the Joe Jackson example I have heard the track where there appears to be a smearing of notes which leads to a slow, hesitant, almost chugging presentation. There’s a heaviness. With the new turntable the notes turn on a sixpence and allow the track to glow and flow as it should. I find it more obvious in piano pieces. There. I had a go! Don’t crucify me Joe.

I shall try to justify the terms. To me, transparency is when detail and individual sounds are clear and separate through each level of the soundstage. Timing is to do with transients and smearing of notes. The combination of a turntable, correct set up and the stylus are crucial of course. Using the Joe Jackson example I have heard the track where there appears to be a smearing of notes which leads to a slow, hesitant, almost chugging presentation. There’s a heaviness. With the new turntable the notes turn on a sixpence and allow the track to glow and flow as it should. I find it more obvious in piano pieces. There. I had a go! Don’t crucify me Joe.

Thank you for your explanation ...I don't understand all of it but I see what you are trying to get at.

Back to the Naia (I know, how bizarre), I wonder if the wall mount for the P10 also fits the Naia?

Should anyone upgrade from a P10 and not want to yank an existing wall shelf out?

Back to the Naia (I know, how bizarre), I wonder if the wall mount for the P10 also fits the Naia?

Should anyone upgrade from a P10 and not want to yank an existing wall shelf out?
Pretty sure you jumped to an LP12 recently, how would you compare it to the P10? I may revisit this TT in the future.

Seen and heard one of these decks recently for the first time.

I would suggest you forget everything you think you know about how Rega decks sound - I thought this deck sounded fabulous and reminded me a bit of the Pink Triangle Anniversary in its natural, open and powerful delivery. Looks great in the flesh, well done Rega.

PS: sounded so musical in combination with the new Musical Fidelity A1 which is the Hifi bargain of the last 5 years. Would make a great high end exotica “starter” combo……😃

advertisement

Back