Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega Kyte

Discussion in 'audio' started by SteveG, Jan 26, 2021.

1. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

My wife is spending some of her furlough time clearing out the loft (not an easy task as we've had this house for nearly a quarter of a century) and today found the pair of Rega Kytes that had disappeared up there a few years back. They're destined to replace the Mission 731LE's in one of my sons systems however to check they're still ok they've temporarily replaced the Wilson Benesch Square One's in my study system, driven by a Krell integrated.

The good news is they still sound remarkably good, even if they are pretty cheap and scruffy looking things!

Dark Lord likes this.
  2. yairf

yairf Trade: Teddy Pardo Audio

We also found a pair which lost its woofers.
    Luckily, we had spare woofers from a pair of Mission 751 (made by Audax) - and... Bingo!
    The ports cloth is held by a 3D-printed frames that are press-fit into place.
    They are tremendous fun!

[​IMG]

Amber Audio and Darren L like this.
  3. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I think "fun" is an certainly an apt description. I'm currently listening to The Pale Emperor by Marilyn Manson and there is a lot of foot tapping going on.

4. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Oh crap, fun and foot tapping in the same post, look out now! :)

5. worz

worz pfm Member

It's not really a kyte now my original has the royd looking driver ,surely the replacement one is totally different in sound lol

6. BlueYeti

BlueYeti pfm Member

Rega Kytes are utter gems! And similarly to Rega Elas, tremendous value secondhand.

7. BlueYeti

BlueYeti pfm Member

That's a great idea with the port frames! Would you be willing to sell a pair?

8. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Not a clue if the ones I've got are still on the original drivers or not. This is them:

[​IMG]

9. worz

worz pfm Member

Yes kind of a royd design

10. Howdy

Howdy pfm Member

My first serious speakers. Great fun and played what you fed them. Could stay and hold their head high through serious upgrades. Could sound a bit thin though and really disliked CD-players of the era.

Were absolutely amazing with second clamshell Brio and Elys cart.

Your drivers are original.

Probably 731 not 751 and as mentioned, can't sound anywhere near the original.

Rega are launching new Kytes this year, at £429.00. Originals were 200 if my memory serves me well, so at 429 they are keeping up with inflation, and are well bellow average inflation of hi-fi items.

Torris12 likes this.
  11. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

SteveG, yes they do like original Kyte drive units, PD

12. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

Ive got kytes in my home office aka the garage aka the workshop/brewery/classroom. Listening now, from spotify and a cheap chip amp. They sound superb, really really good. They are a little tatty but sound lovely. Ive also go a pair with two working woofers and tatty cabs but blown tweeters, if anyone wants to make me an offer for them. Id also love to own a really really mint pair - again if anyone knows of a mint pair

13. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I think I paid something like £30 2nd hand for this pair and they're cosmetically a bit scruffy (and the black enclosures also don't look as nice as the wood ones I've seen) but the drivers look fine and they still sound good, especially as a small room option.

14. roman

roman pfm Member

My first proper speakers also, and I too have them somewhere in the loft with some old linn Kan stands.

I found them a little anaemic with cheaper amps, at least those I tried, and were outshone by lesser speakers. However they really came alive and left those same speakers behind when on the end of a full and fast amp, in my case 72/140, and finally by adding a hi cap. Good value then and I imagine great value now s/h.

15. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

I still use a pair of Kytes in our kitchen/dining room - Rega brackets fixing to wall, Nait 3 and Denon TU 260L.
    @Markie made a new pair of foam covers for me (excellent finish).

Great little speaker, gets me dancing around while cooking :)

16. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

If this set wasn't so ugly I'd be tempted to suggest using them in our kitchen system, but I not a chance SWMBO would allow it!

17. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Paint cabinets to match decor, get new foam from @Markie, job done :)

18. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Could you strip and refinish the cabinets? If they're going to be used in a kitchen perhaps a paint finish that could be wiped with a damp cloth.

19. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I could try but would almost certainly make things worse as my DIY capabilities are markedly limited!

20. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Member

bhazen, ArtK and Hoopsontoast like this.