advertisement

REGA ISIS CD Player

I wouldn't describe the Isis as digital sounding at all and i'm not certain waht bringy means.

I found that the top end can be a bit CD-like (esp. when up against a KDS) but other than that in the context of a DV/Obelisk system it had a wonderful enveloping and analogue sound that was rich, dynamic and hugely engaging with a slight appealing warmth when on Isoblue.

Hi there avonessence this was the system,

1.Rega Osiris Reference Integrated Amplifier
2.Rega Isis CD Player
3.monitor audio platinum pl300
4.three grands worth of silver speaker cable

This system sounded ok but i expected better considering its price,after getting home i put some vinyl on my own set up which in my opinium sounded
more natural and musical better in every way,
1.manley stingray
2.pioneer pl71 audio technica ptg
3.shahinian arc speakers
4.ear 834 phono stage
5.mark grant interconnects
6.cabletalk speaker cable

i would like to listen to a nos dac now like the mhdt havana or chevron paradox, i did like the Unison Research Unico CDE

Interesting, I can honestly say IME that I believe it wasn't the Isis presenting the bringy sound.
I run my Isis through a Primaluna Prologue 2 into Zu Essence or Druids so I would suspect that the bringy sound is down to SS amplification/speaker cable/speakers in this instance.

Interesting, I can honestly say IME that I believe it wasn't the Isis presenting the bringy sound.
I run my Isis through a Primaluna Prologue 2 into Zu Essence or Druids so I would suspect that the bringy sound is down to SS amplification/speaker cable/speakers in this instance.

i suppose im looking for an annalogue sounding digital source, the isis did have
warmth and air about its sound very detailed but with a digital presence to its
sound more in its upper frequencys, now if i were to compare with a cdp that
doesent have that digital presence it would be an audiolab 8200 or
unison research cde but then both of these for me were also a bit dull like
someones got the dolby button on, ive only heard a few sorces so there is
probably something thats got both hi and low just right but not heard it yet.

i suppose im looking for an annalogue sounding digital source, the isis did have
warmth and air about its sound very detailed but with a digital presence to its
sound more in its upper frequencys, now if i were to compare with a cdp that
doesent have that digital presence it would be an audiolab 8200 or
unison research cde but then both of these for me were also a bit dull like
someones got the dolby button on, ive only heard a few sorces so there is
probably something thats got both hi and low just right but not heard it yet.

I would give the Isis a go in your home system, but use a Rega standard mains lead (not the big silver on the Isis is supplied with) and use a Mogami interconnect, and see how you get on with it.

Hi there avonessence this was the system,

1.Rega Osiris Reference Integrated Amplifier
2.Rega Isis CD Player
3.monitor audio platinum pl300
4.three grands worth of silver speaker cable

This system sounded ok but i expected better considering its price,after getting home i put some vinyl on my own set up which in my opinium sounded
more natural and musical better in every way,
1.manley stingray
2.pioneer pl71 audio technica ptg
3.shahinian arc speakers
4.ear 834 phono stage
5.mark grant interconnects
6.cabletalk speaker cable

i would like to listen to a nos dac now like the mhdt havana or chevron paradox, i did like the Unison Research Unico CDE

The demo system and your home system seem so completely different that I'm not sure the demo of the CD player would really give any indication of how the CD player would sound in your home system.

I would give the Isis a go in your home system, but use a Rega standard mains lead (not the big silver on the Isis is supplied with) and use a Mogami interconnect, and see how you get on with it.

Hi James. What is it you don't like about the shielded upgraded mains cable?

Unless you can hear something in your own system ... Then dont bother.

Means nothing.

Its all about the system. You can appraise an individual source, its impossible.

Just get the old clampshell Rega cd

It sounds nothing like "bringy

A bit soft maybe

And its cheap (maybe not an option then ?)

I recently heard the Isis in direct comparison to the Densen B440. It was not long enough really but the Densen gave it a damn good run for its money. I would have needed longer to be 100% certain of my impressions , but based on that limited hearing, the Rega did quite a bit more detail, but the Densen was warmer and more organic. It is a comparison I would like to do again at more length. They certainly sounded VERY different, which sort of knocks on the head the suggestion that all CD players sound similar.

Im sure all you people who have bought this cd player are very happy with it

im just saying its not for me. cheers ocean

Were you at all familiar with the dem system? Did you listen to another source through it?
If you aren't and you didn't how on Earth can you reliably single out one of the components?

cheers
Jason

Hi James. What is it you don't like about the shielded upgraded mains cable?

Hi Rack,

The upgraded shielded mains lead on the Rega works well with the Isis, but in some systems can have the "bringy" sound that the OP mentions.
I myself use it on the Rega Isis, but found on anything else it can be a bit bright and forward sounding with an annoying edginess to the music.
It is all dependant on the system, and one's own preference afterall.

I do find that mains leads are very subjective, and the best overall one that I have heard (thus far) is from our dedicated enthusiastic cottage industry in the heart of Chesterfield.

In line the OP, I myself have turned over to the orange-glow side, and can honestly say that the SS amplification I have heard in comparison has this "bringy" sound.

advertisement

Back