advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

Is it doing the reverse of what I did, so taking the sonos digital experience and converting it to an analogue output for the amp?

Is it doing the reverse of what I did, so taking the sonos digital experience and converting it to an analogue output for the amp ?
Yes I think it did. I'm using the analoque output of the Sonos to connect to one of the inputs on my IO.

As was pointed out in a different thread, the Brio is now available at £549 making it only around £130 more than the iO.

Every day is a school day. Many thanks to @Alco for the inspiration. I was going to retire my Sonos Connect due to the connectivity problems, but now I have reversed the way it is being used. The output is going to the amp, and I can now boost my Sonos sound with my hi-fi speakers which adds a load of bass and warmth. Works well with no connectivity issues and perfect sync. Excellent.

Despite the price drop, I'm still tempted by the IO. Ideally I would like a way to test the Cambridge A1 mk3 SE back-to-back with the IO, but that isn't realistically going to happen. Has anybody owned both to compare?

Thanks.

About 2 weeks ago I happened to notice an ad for a mint CB Nait 2 on a populair Dutch auction site. I wasn't searching for anything in particular, just looking a bit in the audio section.
Now, I was and still am very happy with my Rega IO, but... the Nait 2 has always been one of my favorite integrated amps. So, because it was in mint condition, recently serviced (not recapped though) and the price was fair I thought...'What the heck, why not !?'

aohj2s_ijPlvnG_YZxLCcAkiXTuCZCKDA97JN1s326c6WDvMa5Qo8tkGXTdmkltSgSULX7LlfIB6_r2lULfgtqJNSdeJwPMSlAJybjGlirEiKqM=s0-d-e1-ft
After the first tracks I knew why I loved this little amp so much. Now, I'm aware that especially my source won't do the Naim justice and obviously it will benefit from a recap after almost 35 years, but... (drumrolls please!) After a few days I started to prefer the Rega IO. I didn't expect that tbh!

The Nait 2 sounded a little more open/transparent, and despite its lower power, seemed to have a little more body, but otoh... on several tracks I know well I noticed that the Rega IO placed lead instruments more in the front of the soundstage. With the Nait the same instruments sounded way more in the back. (almost as if they were faded out a bit in the mix) Therefor the IO sounded more dynamic, lively and engaging to me. My first thought was: 'ok, it's not a fair comparison, as the Rega is hardly 6 months old and the Nait close to 35 years, so in need for a recap!', but then again... I've had a Nait 1 and Nait 2 recapped in the past, and both times I don't recall any worth mentioning sonic improvements.

Also, having the Nait 2 recapped would now cost me almost € 500,- ! (incl. p&p)
aohj2s_ijPlvnG_YZxLCcAkiXTuCZCKDA97JN1s326c6WDvMa5Qo8tkGXTdmkltSgSULX7LlfIB6_r2lULfgtqJNSdeJwPMSlAJybjGlirEiKqM=s0-d-e1-ft
:eek::confused:
So,...within a week after enjoying this classic amp I decided to sell the Nait again and stick with my Rega IO. :)

Will the IO be a future classic, just like the old shoebox Naits ? Well, time will tell, but to me it has the right to become one.

Very interesting @Alco - especially so as I own and currently run a CB Nait2! What source and speakers were you using with the Nait and IO? For ref, I've not heard the IO yet.

Hi BlueYeti,

The only source I'm (currently) using is a Sonos Connect streamer. My current speakers are the also very modest Dali Oberon 1's.
(on Solidsteel SS-6 stands, which cost more than the speakers) May I ask what you are using as a source and speakers with your CB Nait 2 ?

I remember when I still had my previous Nait 2 (I think it was around 2012) I also got a Rega Brio-r. (not sure if I had the Nait recapped at that time) My source was a Squeezebox Touch + Metrum Acoustics NOS dac and some Diapason Micra mk3 speakers. Both the Brio-r and Nait-2 were a great match with those speakers. Although I liked the Brio-r in many ways, the Nait 2 was clearly in another leaque.

I'm quite curious what the little IO is capable of, when upgrading the source. (especially with a good TT) :)

I've heard the IO driving a pair of Tannoy Eaton Legacy speakers and the IO still managed to make them boogie with a surprising degree of musicality. It doesn't have an AV Bypass input so in my case it was only ever going to be a chance to hear what it could do rather than what it would do long-term with my Tannoys but I liked what I heard all the same.

Thanks @Alco Ah, interesting, I've not heard any Dali speakers to date, so one manufacturer to investigate. Info on source equipment.. Streaming: currently using a Naim UnitiQute2 as a source for local streaming of ripped CDs and High-Res downloads, which is of course compromised as the output goes through the UQ2 pre-amp, so I hope to remedy next year with some sort of upgrade. Turntable: Rega RP6 / Rega Fono / Ortofon 2M Black. Speakers: are Rega Ela MK1, which are a classic period correct amp & speaker combo.

I've heard the IO with P1, P6 and P9 up front. All good with the IO driving new Kytes
Nice to hear David! :) I'd like to get back into vinyl, and a Rega TT would probably be the most obvious candidate, but tbh I don't really like the looks of the P1, P2 and P3. I absolutely LOVE the looks of the P8 (and P10!) but I thought a P8 might be too much for the IO. (otoh, the Nait 2 was often partnered with an LP12 back in its days, so...) well, perhaps, one day... if I come across a s/h P8. :cool:

Info on source equipment.. Streaming: currently using a Naim UnitiQute2 as a source for local streaming of ripped CDs and High-Res downloads
Aha, lovely sources BlueYeti. Imho, the Naim UnitiQute was one of Naim's best VFM products ever. I had a UQ1 for about 2 years. Sounded great and very versatile.
(only issues I had with it was network connection dropping out, several times a week. (hardly ever had that with Sonos)

Interesting feedback. Looks like I’m going to succumb and invest in an IO at some point in the near future. Just hoping it is a jump from my current amp, but looks like it should be.

I’ve mentioned this many/too many times before, but my Rega io driving the DALI Opticon 1 Mk 2 sited several inches from the wall in my small living room is just glorious. Combined with a Bluesound Node (2021) fed by a USB SSD with thousands of songs ripped from my CD collection, and complemented by my Qobuz subscription, it is all the music system I need.

I’ve mentioned this many/too many times before, but my Rega io driving the DALI Opticon 1 Mk 2 sited several inches from the wall in my small living room is just glorious. Combined with a Bluesound Node (2021) fed by a USB SSD with thousands of songs ripped from my CD collection, and complemented by my Qobuz subscription, it is all the music system I need.
I've heard Dali speakers can be a bit bright up top. Do you think the Io balances that out with its smooth, slightly warm character?

I've heard Dali speakers can be a bit bright up top. Do you think the Io balances that out with its smooth, slightly warm character?
They are indeed. (at least, the Oberon series are) The IO balances it out very well in my experience. :)
Also, it might be worth trying a few different powerchords, as the IO (and Brio-r in the past) responds well to it.
(I'm using an Audioquest NRG-Y3, which proved to be a worthy upgrade from the supplied cable)

Also, it might be worth trying a few different powerchords, as the IO (and Brio-r in the past) responds well to it.
(I'm using an Audioquest NRG-Y3, which proved to be a worthy upgrade from the supplied cable)

Rega Reference mains leads were an upgrade for me. They are a bit pricey but I was lucky to buy three (used) for half price here on pfm a while back.

advertisement

Back