advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

I can only offer first-hand account as I’ve had the LS50 (non-Meta) and the Rega io for many months now and can say that they are an excellent match, no lack for drive and db (my listening tops out at around 92dB peak), the tone from the combo is very pleasing to listen to.

Ok,...I think it's time now to share my enthusiasm for the Rega IO here. :)

It's been about 4 months now that I got the Rega IO and I'm still amazed at what this little box can do!
Now, compared to most systems I come across on the PFM forum (or others for that matter) my little system is very modest!
(Sonos Connect, Rega IO, Dali Oberon 1's on Solidsteel SS-6 stands) Because of several reasons I've been without any HiFi system, from around may 2017 till may this year.
The only thing that provided some (mostly background radiostation) music was my trusty old s/h Sonos Connect hooked up to a Marshall Stanmore BT speaker.

I'm aware that the Sonos is the weakest part in my system, but even then... I'm stunned at what this simple setup achieves for this kinda money!
(makes me curious what a good TT or better streaming device/DAC might bring to the party!)

I've had a Rega Brio-r in the past (around 2012/2013) which I liked but in the end I found its treble a bit too rolled-off/laid-back.
With that in mind I was a little sceptical to try the IO, but after reading the many raving reviews curiosity won from me...

The Rega IO + Dali Oberon 1's perform (way) above my expectation, delivering a natural, open and spacious soundstage.
It might also be due to the slightly bright nature of the Dali's, but the IO's treble is sweet yet clear and very detailed with enough sparkle and attack.
Bass obviously isn't very deep, but it's firm and tight and easy to follow.
Due to it's shoe-box style and because it just sounds so musically involving, (also at late night volume levels) it reminds me a bit of Naim's classic Nait 1 and 2.

The IO does run a bit warmer than the Brio-r I had, but not alarmingly so.
If I had to nitpick and come up with at least one downside it would be the glossy, plastic fascia, which to me gives it a bit of a cheap look.
I also swapped the supplied powercable btw, for an Audioquest NRG-Y3, which proved to be a worthy upgrade!)

I haven't compared the IO to the Brio. (and probably never will either. I don't like the looks of the Brio)

To make a long story short(er) To me the IO's is amazing vfm and only modest in size and price!

Kind regards,
Alco

Last edited:
Ok,...I think it's time now to share my enthusiasm for the Rega IO here. :)

It's been about 4 months now that I got the Rega IO and I'm still amazed at what this little box can do!
Now, compared to most systems I come across on the PFM forum (or others for that matter) my little system is very modest!
(Sonos Connect, Rega IO, Dali Oberon 1's on Solidsteel SS-6 stands) Because of several reasons I've been without any HiFi system, from around may 2017 till may this year.
The only thing that provided some (mostly background radiostation) music was my trusty old s/h Sonos Connect hooked up to a Marshall Stanmore BT speaker.

I'm aware that the Sonos is the weakest part in my system, but even then... I'm stunned at what this simple setup achieves for this kinda money!
(makes my curious what a good TT or better streaming device/DAC might bring to the party!)

I've had a Rega Brio-r in the past (around 2012/2013) which I liked but in the end I found its treble a bit too rolled-off/laid-back.
With that in mind I was a little sceptical to try the IO, but after reading the many raving reviews curiosity won from me...

The Rega IO + Dali Oberon 1's perform (way) above my expectation, delivering a natural, open and spacious soundstage.
It might also be due to the slightly bright nature of the Dali's, but the IO's treble is sweet yet clear and very detailed with enough sparkle and attack.
Bass obviously isn't very deep, but it's firm and tight and easy to follow.
Due to it's shoe-box style and because it just sounds so musically involving, (also at late night volume levels) it reminds me a bit of Naim's classic Nait 1 and 2.

The IO does run a bit warmer than the Brio-r I had, but not alarmingly so.
If I had to nitpick and come up with at least one downside it would be the glossy, plastic fascia, which to me gives it a bit of a cheap look.
I also swapped the supplied powercable btw, for an Audiquest NRG-Y3, which proved to be a worthy upgrade!)

I haven't compared the IO to the Brio. (and probably never will either. I don't like the looks of the Brio)

To make a long story short(er) To me the IO's is amazing vfm and only modest in size and price!

Kind regards,
Alco
Well said. I agree, the IO is an amazing little device!

I have five systems: main, home office, office office, garage, and 2nd bedroom. Oh and a headphone setup. Was using the io in the 2ndary systems.

Had an io paired with a Mojo and old small Cantons. Incredible. Bought a Unitiqute 2, gave the io to a friend. I actually think I like the io better - more direct, pure. So I bought another. For the office office, back to the io/Mojo/Canton setup.

Just figure out a way to use one, you will be happy. Pair it up with some good Brit bookshelves, and a really good source, and let it rock.

I have recently replaced my IO with a Brio I personally think the Brio is slightly more refined but to be honest the main reason I changed was because it matched my Rega Apollo R visually (sad but true)

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading this thread and have gained some good insight. I've been into audio equipment since around 1990, but it's always been on the value end of things. I started out then with a Rotel amp, wharfedale Delta 30 speakers and a Philips CD-610 (which I still have and still love). I've gone through a few phases, including some Sansui amps, and due to a young family I went full Sonos - 4 x Sonos 1 in kitchen/diner, playbar and 2 x Sonos 1 for TV and it works well. I hooked up my mega RP1 PP to a Sonos connect in an attempt to integrate that into the system, but it was always a bit hit and miss - sometimes didn't connect, sometimes blasted at full volume, often stuttered. In the end I didn't use the turntable and bought a separate system for the office upstairs, which is an Audio Technica device, but I'm very happy with it for a small room.

Anyhow, I've just bought some new passive speakers linked to my old faithful Cambridge Audio A1 Mk3 SE amp. The RP1 is the TT, and the Philips is the CD player. I'm happy with it, but have always been interested to find out if an amp upgrade would make a huge difference. The Rega Brio has been out of my price range, but the IO is very, very tempting. I don't need digital or streaming or any of that as the Sonos does the job, just a good analogue amp.

The question is, will the Rega IO be a significant upgrade from my Cambridge A1 mk3 SE? What can I expect to gain from it?

I really appreciate any feedback.
Many thanks,
Sam.

Edit: Just seen the Brio has dropped to £549. Is that worth the extra over the IO. I know each have their appeal. Music is Rock, jazz, pop, guitar, vocal, some classical. Everything really. I like musicality and openness.

Hi Sam and welcome to PFM.

Of the 3 amps you mention, I've only owned the Brio-R. Excellent amp for the money and I would expect it to be a marked improvement over your CA A1. Ordering of the soundstage and imaging should be a big step-up I would imagine as well as more control over high and low frequencies. A used Brio-R is a good shout (and probably cheaper than a new IO), they're solid and reliable performers and Rega's customer service is fabulous.

That said, a lot of the members here rave about the IO, some preferring it to the current Brio (who's new pricing incidentally, bolsters its VFM status over the IO somewhat). A lot depends on the speakers you now have which I don't believe you've mentioned.....

Hello, and many thanks for the reply. The speakers, well again budget-focussed as there is a lot of other things to spend money on, but I picked up a pair of DALI Spektor 2 as they seemed to be what I was after.

I don't have any experience wth the mentioned Cambridge amp, but I'd be surprised if you'd be dissapointed by the IO.
Definitely worth giving the IO a try if you can.

I'm currently using an IO with Dali Oberon 1's, (with also a modest Sonos Connect as my only source) with great results! :)

I couldn't quite stretch to the Oberons but they look good. So how does the Connect work as a source? I only used it to take the analogue signal from the TT, convert to digital, and then pump it into the Sonos system.

advertisement

Back