advertisement

Rega Elicit-R vs Naim XS-2?

Relying on 'reviews' for a hifi purchase...... No thanks. Ear of the beholder and all.
I'm a long-term audiorag junkie... Subscribed to Listener (sadly *replaced* by Audiophile Voice), UHF, Stereophile, with occasional purchases of TAS, HiFi+, and a few French language magazines. For a long time, I would cut the Naim reviews out of the magazines and keep them. Baaa.

I mostly read the mags for entertainment, which was why Listener was so much fun.

Does anybody really rely on reviews for a purchase? They're guides, nothing more. A stepping stone to your dealer.

And yes, only your ear-brain system can tell for sure. But it helps to know what you're listening for.

Jan, i really don't get the point of helping to know what to listen for. I first had my taste of hifi systems when i was 6 or 7, i'm 50 now, as my father ran a hifi store. No one ever told me what to listen for, and i heard for myself for the first time when i was 15 a system that i knew from the off, moved me. An LP12/Quantum/ Gale401 system which struck a chord. Nothing else is necessary.

There is a small resort halfway between Havana and Varadero that we visit frequently. Funky, slightly run down, the food is sometimes edible, but the staff are like family. Fifty yards off shore is a coral reef - in very good shape - that extends out for about a kilometer. Two weeks all inclusive can be had this time of year for just over $1000.

Next to this resort is another, a Breezes, where the food is superb, the rooms are beautifully appointed, but the staff are distant. Mixing with the tourists is not encouraged. The same reef is a short swim out in front of the resort. The price there for the same period is about $2000.

Which resort is better?

I go to the first one, for the reef and the staff, some of whom have become personal friends. Those are my priorities. If your priority is to sit on a beach, watch the ocean and enjoy really good food, you'll be disappointed.

It's the same with music delivery systems.

If your priorities are immediate engagement with the music, and a big bold sound, then the Rega will satisfy. If you care less about immediate engagement but really want to get as far as you possibly can into a composer's mindset, or be transported to another time and place, Naim will be a better choice.

It's the reviewer's job (I believe) to describe what a particular piece of gear does well and less well. His priorities may or may not align with the reader's. When they do you follow that reviewer (as I did with Art Dudley and Herb Reichert).

Which is why a term like *The Absolute Sound* makes no sense to me. It depends on what the listener wants from the system.

Jan

There is a small resort halfway between Havana and Varadero that we visit frequently. Funky, slightly run down, the food is sometimes edible, but the staff are like family. Fifty yards off shore is a coral reef - in very good shape - that extends out for about a kilometer. Two weeks all inclusive can be had this time of year for just over $1000.

Next to this resort is another, a Breezes, where the food is superb, the rooms are beautifully appointed, but the staff are distant. Mixing with the tourists is not encouraged. The same reef is a short swim out in front of the resort. The price there for the same period is about $2000.

Which resort is better?

I go to the first one, for the reef and the staff, some of whom have become personal friends. Those are my priorities. If your priority is to sit on a beach, watch the ocean and enjoy really good food, you'll be disappointed.

It's the same with music delivery systems.

If your priorities are immediate engagement with the music, and a big bold sound, then the Rega will satisfy. If you care less about immediate engagement but really want to get as far as you possibly can into a composer's mindset, or be transported to another time and place, Naim will be a better choice.

It's the reviewer's job (I believe) to describe what a particular piece of gear does well and less well. His priorities may or may not align with the reader's. When they do you follow that reviewer (as I did with Art Dudley and Herb Reichert).

Which is why a term like *The Absolute Sound* makes no sense to me. It depends on what the listener wants from the system.

Jan

The Absolute Sound is the sound of real music in a real acoustic space. People who 'want something else' are not really in this conversation.

I've sat through many demos of systems that recreate absolutely stunning reproductions of the sound of real (?) music in a real acoustic space, and that have left me cold, the system utterly failing to provide any emotional connection with the music.

On the other hand, I've been stopped in my tracks by songs playing on the car radio.

One person's "absolute" can be another's "meh".

Oh, I know deep down it's all quite silly. Sound is subjective and what turns me on won't turn others on and vice versa. So why do I (we) care so much about what others have to say? Because I'll never come to close to being able to demo ALL of the integrated amps I mentioned earlier in my own home, side-by-side, and then be able to truly evaluate them? Because I have certain 'brotherly' trust in all of you to be extensions of my ears as kindred spirits in the HiFi game? That somehow I have 'faith' in each one of you to shed some measure of objective light onto an equation I cannot solve?

I think it must be all of the above. I trust this place more than a WhatHifi, etc. where they are paid to write reviews this way or that way.

Having owned the XS2 for the last 5 years, and having taken home the SN2 for a week previously, i think i gave it time;)

If it takes weeks for the charm of an amp to be realised, then it hasn't got any, your just getting used to it. Reminds me of my previous encounter with the SN1, where after 6 months of ownership it was still boring. Then people claimed i should have waited another month as SN1 only really comes to life after 7 months of burn in...... Funny that as my 552 rocked my world after it came out of the box.

My recount of the store demo only re confirmed what i already knew, however i was interested to see where the new XS2 (70W) was in all this.

What differences did you perceive between the XS2 (60) and XS2 (70)?

Schneller, I love your post no. 69. Well said. I've had a dialogue off line with Schneller because I didn't particularly want to get into teh debate here but I will: After years with various lower level Naim gear I took a punt on a used Teddy PR1. I'm not drawn to verbios decsription sof sound, much like Gary yeowell I just hear what's right for me. Nothing wrong with Naim, I've enjoyed what I've had but the PR1 is of a different order. This is what I've been hoping to hear for years. The crystal clarity is stunning. The hurdle for many I suspect is not being able to audition it or other Teddy products and it being perceived as too cheap and something of a pretender or flavour of the month. I guess residual value might come into it as well. For me, a PR1 plus any half decent power amp is of a completely different order to any of the integrateds being discussed.

I regret strongly that it is not possible to discuss objectively. This discussion is about Rega Elicit-R vs Naim XS-2.

Well, just ordered a 3010S2. It's stable into lower impedance loads (something I like a lot) and I'm getting it from a dealer I've done business with before that I like.

There sure are a LOT of nice British integrateds to choose from these days:

Creek
Rega
Arcam
Exposure
Naim
LFD

It's a tough choice.

Well, just ordered a 3010S2. It's stable into lower impedance loads (something I like a lot) and I'm getting it from a dealer I've done business with before that I like.

Creek
Rega
Arcam
Exposure
Naim
LFD

It's a tough choice.

Congratulations!

Are you planning to try and buy as you say? Does that dealer have a generous return policy?

According to the Exposure website, their US distributor is near Atlanta. I wonder what their policies are?

If Exposure has demo/loaner units, it wouldn't be hard to do the same with REGA and Teddy Pardo and conduct a 4-way shootout at home.

Short of someone lending me a SuperNait2, it's a long shot to get a demo unit.

Creek
Rega
Arcam
Exposure
Naim
LFD

It's a tough choice.

I would add Sonneteer to that list. Could beat the best from any of these brands above..IMO

Got here a few days ago. Sounds great and works great. It's a real rock'n roller - very dynamic, huge soundstage, sounds effortless.

Nice look and feel, everything works great. Runs cool - I've had class d amps that didn't run this cool.

I'm very impressed.

advertisement

Back