advertisement

Rega Elicit-R vs Naim XS-2?

That just sounds like a bunch of excuses, and you seem to be coming at it from a negative perspective from the outset, almost expecting not to like it. Weird. Feedback on the i80a has been very very positive, placing it well above the mid range Naim offerings you are looking at, and none that have purchased it on here have returned it from what I have seen! I wasn't quoted anywhere near $500 shipping last time I enquired.

The i80a is certainly what I will be replacing my Supernait with when the time comes. I prefer the Supernait without PSU.

Naim is nice, but having been up and down the Naim "upgrade" path myself (and would always defend Naim here and elsewhere) I eventually came to realise its just expensive and you can get a lot better for a lot less $$. If you don't want to try Teddy Pardo's products then the Exposure 2010S mentioned by Max above is also very good value. Better than Naim.

I said $500 for RETURN shipping. I know the fees from TP's site to get the amp to me. But $500 is what it would cost to send back via FedEx, insured, etc.

If you know of more i80a reviews, I would be happy to read them :)

I sniff a complete lineup revision by Naim for 2015...

Rebranding as well. All amps, etc. will take on the Statement and MUSO look. As for changes to the internals? What we'll probably get is a 'new' product called the SuperNait2 with the new 'Statement' enclosure design. It will cost more but be no different (internally) than the current SuperNait2, so it will just of course confuse the second-hand market. Of course the new enclosure design will improve the amp sonically but only if you mount on the new 2015 FRAIM... ;)

Do you have a 2015 SuperNait2 or a 2013? Do you have a 2013 XS2 or a 2010 XS2? Etc. Confusion.

I said $500 for RETURN shipping. I know the fees from TP's site to get the amp to me. But $500 is what it would cost to send back via FedEx, insured, etc.

Well, you can get a lot cheaper than that. I shipped a full Naim system 82/supercap/250/cables, etc. etc. all in original boxes for about 80€

But again, you seem to be coming at it from the wrong way round. What other manufacturer will let you try out their gear and send it back if you don't like?

I asked Naim for a home demo once here in Spain, and no way would they do it.

If you know of more i80a reviews, I would be happy to read them :)

The i80a is less popular among our customers than the separates, I guess that at this price people prefer separates. But the i80a is exactly the same as the PR1 + ST60 combo for which there are plenty of glowing reviews, here and elsewhere.

They are usually compared however to the NAC252/SC/NAP250.2... ;)

Teddy, do both options have exactly the same power supply arrangements?

The same boards, the same circuits, single box.

The i80a has a custom transformer with independent secondaries per channel, but it was done mainly to simplify the internal wiring.

The i80a per TP's website, outputs "slightly more" than the PR1+ST60 combo: 80wpc but into how many Ohms, I don't know. ST60 puts out 60wpc. MB100 puts out 100wpc. All pretty simply according to nomenclature :D

I would like to know the 4 Ohm output of the i80a...

The i80a is less popular among our customers than the separates, I guess that at this price people prefer separates. But the i80a is exactly the same as the PR1 + ST60 combo for which there are plenty of glowing reviews, here and elsewhere.

They are usually compared however to the NAC252/SC/NAP250.2... ;)

There is an indirect relationship I find between the number of boxes and wife approval ;)

Also note to Teddy: I think you would do yourself and us a great service to SEND AT NO CHARGE a i80a review unit to member Janerik...if he would accept the challenge.

Teddy Pardo i80a vs. NAIM SuperNait2 vs. REGA Elex-R

Also note to Teddy: I think you would do yourself and us a great service to SEND AT NO CHARGE a i80a review unit to member Janerik...if he would accept the challenge.

Teddy Pardo i80a vs. NAIM SuperNait2 vs. REGA Elex-R

vs 3010S2.

I'm leaning more towards the Exposure all the time. I like an amp that's stable into low impedance loads.

In regards to the XS2, I can't verify any of those adjectives without similar units in the same setting and same source for comparison.

So what exactly have you auditioned in person?

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

That puts me on the 'buy it and try it' plan, so I'm always interested in opinions from people who actually get some 'ears on' time with gear.

I understand where you're coming from!

Who has the time to really audition properly: arrange to get a demo unit, put down a deposit, get it home, hook it up, demo for hours upon hours, reverse the process, etc. It might as well be a second job!

This is why we 'depend' on people like Janerik who somehow figured how to do this.

I would love to see a massive comparison review of a lot of our favorites...

Teddy Pardo i80a
NAIM 5si/XS2/SN2
REGA Brio-R/Elex-R/Elicit-R
Exposure 3010S2
Roksan Caspian M2

I'm sure Janerik does some nice writing however searching for comments via Google on the 3010s2, below reminded me why I stopped looking in reviews many moons ago:p

holy cow throw in a Farlowe amp while your at it

RE: Exposure 3010s2 won HiFi News latest supertest

I know the Moon didn't score the highest but got editor's choice award. The reviewers seem to really like this amp, but said it's bass was a bit soft yet still powerful. Does it mean the Moon is the best if not for its softer, slower bass?

Exposure -1st 85%

Naim - 2nd 81%

Rega - 3rd 80%

The review is completely opposite of Whathifi and other reviews. It said the XS2 was bright and forward sounding whereas Whathifi said it was lacking detail and too smooth, laidback. It said the Rega was warm, soft sounding, vieled whereas Whathifi said it was bright, revealing. I really don't think the Exposure 3010S2 is that good. IMO it is brighter, drier, and lacking musicality compared to all of those amps. It only in excels in power and bass.

I wonder how the Exposure 3010S2 compares to the Roksan Caspian M2???

is this what they call Audio Hell ?

Where do you see any WhatHiFi review of the new XS2? I don't think they've over done one.

This is why we 'depend' on people like Janerik who somehow figured how to do this.
While I'm chuffed by the attention, I'll remind you that I'm still a sample of one...

As to how I "figured it out", it fell into my lap. A magazine editor contacted me (unbeknown to me, an acquaintance had suggested my name). I met with him, discussed my terms (my interest lies in the emotional side of music reproduction and where the equipment takes the listener, rather than meaningless descriptions of bass, midrange and treble). He was happy with that, and we shook hands.

I enjoy writing as much as listening to music. It's a hobby.

Jan

advertisement

Back