advertisement

Rega Brio-R versus Naim 112/150 Pre/power amps

By the way, did you try the Alabaster on your Regas? I just saw your amp list and I can't understand how an older entry level Naim pariring could be preferred to many of those, but specifically the Alabaster, which seemed to me to do all that the cheaper Naim amps do but with so much more tonal colour. Alabaster vs 152/155 would be a good comparison though, because I think that Naim pairing is their most balanced. If you want that extra push in the upper bass that gets people prattling on about PRAT, then the 200 may be more your cup of tea.

I don't know the old Naim stuff so well. It would be interested to hear from Crome bumper evangelists like Gaius (and Per Flemming?) about how they see a direct comparison with modern black stuff, but particularly 152/155. Maybe I've just got rose-tinted memories of when I heard that combo, but it did seem unusually well balanced.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I must say this. Don't be a complete moron
just stick with the brio. You have some great system synergy. Don't ruin your next few months and your families hy going off in a wild goose chase.

Apollo/brioR/RS5. Wonderful, synergetic, world class system.

It you've got ocd like tendencies( I do ) just force yourself to forget about hifi for a few weeks. You might enjoy the system better.

If you must, just wait for the saturenR and elicitR to be released. Listen to them before parrimh any of your cash.

so i take it you are from the rega camp

hifi is a pleasure for me I have my own hifi room purely for myself and a lot of the kit i have mentioned are relatively cheap, switching components and discovering what is out there is nothing but pleasure no cod on my side and no family stress, just fun like this thread....... and no my rega system is best without the Brio I'm afraid in my room and to my ears. I have just bought the Naim 202/200/ hicap will report back once i have heard them.

By the way, did you try the Alabaster on your Regas? I just saw your amp list and I can't understand how an older entry level Naim pariring could be preferred to many of those, but specifically the Alabaster, which seemed to me to do all that the cheaper Naim amps do but with so much more tonal colour. Alabaster vs 152/155 would be a good comparison though, because I think that Naim pairing is their most balanced. If you want that extra push in the upper bass that gets people prattling on about PRAT, then the 200 may be more your cup of tea.

I don't know the old Naim stuff so well. It would be interested to hear from Crome bumper evangelists like Gaius (and Per Flemming?) about how they see a direct comparison with modern black stuff, but particularly 152/155. Maybe I've just got rose-tinted memories of when I heard that combo, but it did seem unusually well balanced.

all i can say is yes the alabaster and many of the other amps are very musical sounding and yes they do have tonal colours albeit often colored by having a truncated top and bottom end. However, to my ears (at the expense of accurate tonal colours)the naim quite clearly brings you closer to the music in the many ways I have already reiterated on numerous occasions in this thread and will not go through again

I admit the reference to the Naim forum was not entirely serious.

A service via Class A would not break the bank and you would have virtually new kit.

The Cam 840 was totally serious- google Robert of this parish's review. He knows what he is talking about and when I move to a smaller house (if I ever bloody sell!) I will give it a proper listen.

oh that Robert

sure he knows his stuff, he has an opinion I don't share at all, but at least he seem to listen and promote his own view - fair enough, you seem not to have heard the amp you recommend:rolleyes:

yes seen all the reviews 152/155 highly respected may well have the missing 'tone' i was talking about. All interesting stuff, nay fascinating stuff,
because music is such a provokative ingredient in our lives. Anything that promotes pleasant emotional provokation through music is worth getting enthusiastic and having heated debates over.

We all perceive music in our own way through our gear, I hope i do not come across as someone self righteous and trying to force my findings on any one. My writings are purely my own subjective feelings about what i hear and I will always appreciate and respsect others who have made similar comparisons of equipment and can give a good audible account of the differences in detail in the manner I have tried to. I think only then can discussions be more meaningful. Holding dear to one camp or another is far more likely to infuse bias and be of less value in our discussions.

HI sorry if i understood you correctly i think you got it the wrong way round, its the non naim amps that I perceive relatively as having a truncated top and bottom

I think you should listen again. I spent a couple of years with a 202/200/teddy and I can promise you that this is precisely what they do. This was pretty clear when compared with any of my other amps (Unison Research, Croft, Albarry). Naim pushes the energy into the mids, with a slight upper bass hump; its a compelling strategy, and I don't criticize it like some, but it does sacrifice frequency extension.

so i take it you are from the rega camp

hifi is a pleasure for me I have my own hifi room purely for myself and a lot of the kit i have mentioned are relatively cheap, switching components and discovering what is out there is nothing but pleasure no cod on my side and no family stress, just fun like this thread....... and no my rega system is best without the Brio I'm afraid in my room and to my ears. I have just bought the Naim 202/200/ hicap will report back once i have heard them.

I've got a lot of NAIM gear myself, but realize that Rega gear is simpler to get right.

OP, nice you have your own play room there. :cool:

I'd be surprised if you don't prefer that 202/Hi/200 over the Rega, it's a sweet spot in the Naim game. ;)

Very good with the new DR Hicap.

Look forward to your findings.

Audiojoy, you have bought yourself an absolute peach of a 202.

The 202 is a big step up over a 122X, which in itself is a big step up over a 112 or 112x.

A 202 was the first Naim product I bought, and with a 200 brought real joy into my listening time. It wasn't long before I added to it, and brought even more benefits to the replay, but the 202 stayed in the system for three and a half years before making way for a 252.

In the time I used it I tried all Naim ways of powering it, off the 200, and also powered by, in turn, FlatCap 2X, NAPSC2, HiCap2 and SuperCap2. Each upgrade showed how god the 202 was in stepping up.

Enjoy,

John

Have a look at misterc6's advert for a 160 in the classifieds. I'd buy it miself but I've already got a pair of his 110 monos.

Audiojoy, you have bought yourself an absolute peach of a 202.

The 202 is a big step up over a 122X, which in itself is a big step up over a 112 or 112x.

A 202 was the first Naim product I bought, and with a 200 brought real joy into my listening time. It wasn't long before I added to it, and brought even more benefits to the replay, but the 202 stayed in the system for three and a half years before making way for a 252.

In the time I used it I tried all Naim ways of powering it, off the 200, and also powered by, in turn, FlatCap 2X, NAPSC2, HiCap2 and SuperCap2. Each upgrade showed how god the 202 was in stepping up.

Enjoy,

John

The NAC 202 also very much more revealing than a 112 so interesting what result the source (Saturn?) bring into game.

A Napsc is logic VFM upgrade for a 202 now you are spending.

A 200 will control RS7 better than 150 but the performance should not change drastic, the preamp provide this.

Thanks for the encouragement with the naim preamp, i look forward to reporting my findings.

Looking to play the Naim CD5X against the saturn as soon as I can get my hands on one. The saturn is an excellent music maker so If i can better that i would be literally over the moon.

Also fascinated by the Naim speakers but encouragement seems restricted on line. Fascinated by the Rega RS10, but the price is prohibitive.

advertisement

Back