advertisement

Rega Brio-R versus Naim 112/150 Pre/power amps

HI Folkman

the comments i believe were made by ARTK. Please correct me if I am wrong

You may have seen my comments about the rega dac already posted on another thread. Like you I did not find the DAC to my liking, it had a less musical and more mechanical if somewhat more detailed sound.

I didn't say that the Apollo-R is better but that to my ears it's a bit more organic and natural sounding. Many will prefer the Saturn and some will prefer the Apollo-R. They both sound great.

take the brand names out of your posts and replace them with made up names and look how silly your comments look....you are trying to affirm what you cannot decide on yourself....audiophile slaves....think freely.

I think rega in general lets you find a happy place to stop. I would also suggest that you make some arrangement to listen to a elicit in your system. I stuck with cursa exon
, but can understand why some would prefer the elicit.

The apollo r to my mind does not compare that well to the saturn

Currently on Apollo-R/DAC/Brio-R in secondary setup and it is soo good. OK bit on the soft side but one record takes another you know. a plus is the phono stage, my Planar 2/Bias run nicely there, no high end just fun.

Have tried Saturn previously but in another setup and placement, it did never sound quite that pleasant, took a while to play best even turned on 24/7

Elicit will drive any speaker, Brio not so, a home dem is essential
I prefer the Brio on normal/easy speakers vs Elicit
I would wait for the new Mira/Elicit before considering the soon to be discontinued Elicit

Ah good , so as you have found the difference between the Saturn and Saturn/Dac , well thats the same sort of difference i find between the Elicit and Brio , Mira , etc.

A good price on a Mira wont make it any better than a ful price one !

Sorry couldnt resist that.

It is soo refreshing watching new Rega products coming in allmost every third month or so

Uprated Brio amplication and Apollo cd-players
Uprated turntables and tonearms

I'd rather see some new "top of the line" stand mounts too and new range of cartridges before any of the silly streamer stuff.

oh and soon to arrive a new phonostage MM/MC

What have we seen from Naim..lots of streaming boxes plus ugly fugly round earth ovators..'bout time they make a decent Nait again

any one care to comment on the upgrade path for naim, from 112/150

to 200/202 plus hicap seems the next most obvious upgrade

202/200 not my favourite Naim amp, i would rather have a Nait 5i or Nait XS in preference. Another alternative would be a 122X with your existing 150, but i still in many ways think a Nait XS is better.

any one care to comment on the upgrade path for naim, from 112/150

to 200/202 plus hicap seems the next most obvious upgrade

Naim have a forum you would like, you get dead detailed answers from enthusiasts. However what I would do is get a CB 32.5/Hicap/160 and forget about it for about six years. Alternatively upgrade to something like a Cambridge 840A integrated amp and go to the pub every night for several months on the money generated from the sale of the Naim amps.

152/155 is quite a sweet spot in the current entry level stuff; less assertive if less revealing than 202/200 and that may be what you want, or it may not. 202/155 is also worth a try, since your speakers and room may not need the extra force of the 200 but you might appreciate the extra information from the 202.

From Rega Mira yesterday to Naim 202/200/hicap today ... not a lot of difference !

I think you need a good dealer.

Naim have a forum you would like, you get dead detailed answers from enthusiasts. However what I would do is get a CB 32.5/Hicap/160 and forget about it for about six years. Alternatively upgrade to something like a Cambridge 840A integrated amp and go to the pub every night for several months on the money generated from the sale of the Naim amps.

Naim forum mostly give answers dictated in recommended setups or next up in line, seem as many of the sheeps doesn't even listen themselves or have their own opinion

I agree the cb 32/hc/160 is wonderfull but may be due in for service

A Cam..840 and the music is lost, how on earth does this sneak into this thread ?
I like the pub idea though

From Rega Mira yesterday to Naim 202/200/hicap today ... not a lot of difference !

I think you need a good dealer.

As I have already clearly delineated earlier i have fondness for both, although I have a leaning towards Naim. So I am happy to listen to both ranges and see what else they have to offer.

Not gonna sit in either the Rega or NAim supporters camp. I am a fan of spurs and dundee united and happy to visit either with equal enthusiasm.

Would be very stimulating to do more Rega NAim comparisons

Just got my NAC 5 will do a comparion with the rega quattro and start a new thread

152/155 is quite a sweet spot in the current entry level stuff; less assertive if less revealing than 202/200 and that may be what you want, or it may not. 202/155 is also worth a try, since your speakers and room may not need the extra force of the 200 but you might appreciate the extra information from the 202.

Thanks for your advice. I really only thought of the NAP 200 as I was finding with the Rega RS7 that at higher volumes the sound was getting ragged with the 150 which it did not get with the Brios. Not sure if there is an incompatiblity problem?? I will be trying the naim speaker cables this weekend switching with the Rega Quattro. I found the Flashback Naim interconnect leaner but musically far more rewarding when cf the rega couple.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I must say this. Don't be a complete moron
just stick with the brio. You have some great system synergy. Don't ruin your next few months and your families hy going off in a wild goose chase.

Apollo/brioR/RS5. Wonderful, synergetic, world class system.

It you've got ocd like tendencies( I do ) just force yourself to forget about hifi for a few weeks. You might enjoy the system better.

If you must, just wait for the saturenR and elicitR to be released. Listen to them before parrimh any of your cash.

Naim forum mostly give answers dictated in recommended setups or next up in line, seem as many of the sheeps doesn't even listen themselves or have their own opinion

I agree the cb 32/hc/160 is wonderfull but may be due in for service

A Cam..840 and the music is lost, how on earth does this sneak into this thread ?
I like the pub idea though

I admit the reference to the Naim forum was not entirely serious.

A service via Class A would not break the bank and you would have virtually new kit.

The Cam 840 was totally serious- google Robert of this parish's review. He knows what he is talking about and when I move to a smaller house (if I ever bloody sell!) I will give it a proper listen.

advertisement

Back