advertisement

Rega Brio (2017) enough for Totem Hawk?

Enough

• Total voters
You forgot 'With or without Beaks?', Darren.
icon-lol.gif

Well, I recently acquired an ICEpower 50asx2se based amplifier. Surprisingly, this thing controls the Hawks better than my Brio. It appears to have a fairly healthy peak output current.
Lack of bass grip was an instant deal breaker when I demoed the Brio a few years ago. The Nait 5, XS 2 and Elex R were decisively better in that respect.

Lack of bass grip was an instant deal breaker when I demoed the Brio a few years ago. The Nait 5, XS 2 and Elex R were decisively better in that respect.
Brio is/was entry level amp and best used with matching loudspeakers such as Rega's own or similar easy driven.
I had my Brio running Royds and old Heybrooks with nice results.
Trying to run Hawks or similar will be disappointing.

Hell, my old NAD 316&326 are better at controlling the Hawks than the Brio. ICEpower just knocks it out of the park in that respect. Even the lowly 50asx2se.

Brio is/was entry level amp and best used with matching loudspeakers such as Rega's own or similar easy driven.
I had my Brio running Royds and old Heybrooks with nice results.
Trying to run Hawks or similar will be disappointing.
The Brio seems like a pretty bad deal here in at $1500.

Hell, my old NAD 316&326 are better at controlling the Hawks than the Brio. ICEpower just knocks it out of the park in that respect. Even the lowly 50asx2se.
One of the strengths of Class D appears to be bass control. My El Cheapo Fosi ZA3 is another good example. The Brio's bass reminds me of some tube amps that I've listened to. Nice mids, flabby bass.

One of the strengths of Class D appears to be bass control. My El Cheapo Fosi ZA3 is another good example. The Brio's bass reminds me of some tube amps that I've listened to. Nice mids, flabby bass.
I actually prefer my Sabaj A5 to the Brio overall on the Hawks

One of the strengths of Class D appears to be bass control.
I've heard a few Class D amps and liked none of them.
Grey, clinic, non involving in fact boring.
Bas is not everything.
I'd pick a Brio or anything else, w/matching loudspeakers.

I've heard a few Class D amps and liked none of them.
Grey, clinic, non involving in fact boring.
Bas is not everything.
I'd pick a Brio or anything else, w/matching loudspeakers.
And for me on the Hawks, it sounds better overall. Some amps are crap, and some are really good. Luckily for me, Totem speakers are far from sterile and boring.

Last edited:
I have had the hawk with a Brio and Naim 202/200. The Naim combo was much better on the Hawks and I had the impression that the speakers were underpowered with the Brio.

I really liked the speakers - shouldn't have sold them
I had the same combo and somehow it just didn’t do it for me. I just had the feeling I was missing something, but could never point out what it was. IMO there are much better speakers on the market for this kind of money.

I had the same combo and somehow it just didn’t do it for me. I just had the feeling I was missing something, but could never point out what it was. IMO there are much better speakers on the market for this kind of money.
I paid 1400 CAD for my Hawks. Anyways there's about 3 revisions if not more of the Hawk. Each revision sounds different.

I know my 42.5/140 is even more sloppy in the bass than my Brio. Both amps only seem suited to overdamped speakers.

Last edited:
I know my 42.5/140 is even more sloppy in the bass than my Brio. Both amps only seem suited to overdamped speakers.

Thats a statement with modifications, to say it at least.👇

Sometime these mistakes are simply down to mediocre sources or other issues.
Everything is relative and there's no absolutes.

I have a pair of Totem Sttaf (the smaller sibling of the Hawk) in my study with a modified Quad 405-2 and they sound great. I've run them previously with a 306 and they sounded really good.

I have some ICEPower 200w monobocks downstairs on the Obelisks. If I have time later this week I'll take the Sttaf downstairs, try them with the monoblocks and report back.

Reactions: x21
Thats a statement with modifications, to say it at least.👇

Sometime these mistakes are simply down to mediocre sources or other issues.
Everything is relative and there's no absolutes.
There are no mistakes. The sources are fine. The entire issue is amplifier. Smaller Rega speakers are designed to go close to walls (overdamped).

I have both Royd Eden on Kan ii stands and Rega Ela MKi here. Of course the Brio is decent on these as both are overdamped. The hawk is different.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back