advertisement

Recording and editing vinyl on iMac

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
I'm at an age at which shaky hands are potentially on the (I hope, far-distant) horizon. As a precaution, I'm looking to slowly transfer my favorite vinyl to 24 bit files.

The SME and phono stage are about 4m away from the iMac but in close proximity to an unused RJ45 ethernet outlet. If I could avoid the purchase of a 4-5m interconnect I'd be happy - I already have spare 1m and 1.5m Kondo VC in the cupboard.

Ideas would be appreciated for both hardware and software.

PS: I do realize this will be time-consuming but, well, I'm retired :)

I use a standalone Tascam solid-state recorder, fed from Tape Out on the amplifier to record as WAV files. You could use output from phono stage if you have no Tape Out.

Transfer to USB on the Tascam, then copy/paste WAVs onto the PC, and edit from there with Audacity. I use a DA3000, which is now only available used. There's a newer model which will do 24/96.

The Tascams have studio grade A/D conversion. I'd rather get studio-grade onto file, then copy file to PC, than get a generic A/D thingie to attach to the PC.

Using one is just like recording to an old-school cassette deck, with a few extra bells n whistles.

Commiserations, I too am getting to the stage where stylus, and records are vulnerable!

Recently I sold an item that I think would meet your requirements and I noticed the buyer had it back on the market though I don’t know if it was sold.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/hrt-linestreamer-a2d-converter.276418/

It would be best used between a Tape Out with RCA interconnects and your iMac with a USB cable. I used Audacity software to record and edit and as long as your equipment doesn’t overload it’s input it’s almost plug and play. If it does you would have to attenuate the signal.

An audio interface will work nicely. Something like a Focusrite - the 4i4 gives you line inputs on the rear which likely bypass the mic pres. Use VinylStudio software for which there is a nominal one off fee. That'll handle most of the artwork, track listings and breaks. Audio over ethernet is expensive.

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download.aspx

Reactions: ask
You will get away with a pretty long usb cable if distance is an issue. USB to Cat5/6 isn't crazy money now either. I would look to keep the interconnect to interface short and use the digital usb for the main distance.

I have been through this exact same exercise and like yourself - retired/time not a problem.
This is probably not what you want to hear but I really can’t stress enough how much of a pain the whole process was and if I was staring over, I would not, definitely not, be transferring any of my vinyl where I could source the self same album on CD. For vinyl which isn’t available in another format - probably a different matter. In my case, nostalgia took over which, on reflection, was a mistake.
The recording side of things - which as you know has to be in real time - was not too bad but the ‘cleaning up’ of the recorded tracks I found to be a nightmare.
With all that said, if you’d like any specifics including software and hardware used, then I’d be happy to let you have the info.

I have been through this exact same exercise and like yourself - retired/time not a problem.
This is probably not what you want to hear but I really can’t stress enough how much of a pain the whole process was and if I was staring over, I would not, definitely not, be transferring any of my vinyl where I could source the self same album on CD. For vinyl which isn’t available in another format - probably a different matter. In my case, nostalgia took over which, on reflection, was a mistake.
The recording side of things - which as you know has to be in real time - was not too bad but the ‘cleaning up’ of the recorded tracks I found to be a nightmare.
With all that said, if you’d like any specifics including software and hardware used, then I’d be happy to let you have the info.
The idea is to deal with the really good stuff which is not available outside of vinyl - not even everything, just the stuff I would really miss.

Edit: I think that you can digitalise an MM or MC-H straight with a step up or preamp of sorts into the ADC then upconvert the file with HQPlayer and apply the RIAA EQ on the fly if that hasn't already been applied.

ImIpGXx.png

Didn't Rega and Project make a phono stage with USB out,I'm figuring they are probably not great quality given their price point, but if you can adjust EQ once digitised on the computer, might work,I used to use a Pioneer 509 CD recorder, but the suitable discs TDK-A's became scarcer,I know just buy stuff on CD for often little money really

Didn't Rega and Project make a phono stage with USB out,I'm figuring they are probably not great quality given their price point, but if you can adjust EQ once digitised on the computer, might work,I used to use a Pioneer 509 CD recorder, but the suitable discs TDK-A's became scarcer,I know just buy stuff on CD for often little money really

This should be OK to digitalise the output of a phono preamp, years ago I used it for the Proms and other live FM broadcasts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0023BYDHK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Didn't Rega and Project make a phono stage with USB out,I'm figuring they are probably not great quality given their price point, but if you can adjust EQ once digitised on the computer, might work,I used to use a Pioneer 509 CD recorder, but the suitable discs TDK-A's became scarcer,I know just buy stuff on CD for often little money really[/QUOTE

Rega Fono Mini - which is what I used, but it won’t do 24 bit.

Rega Fono Mini. This is what I used but it won’t do 24 bit.

advertisement

Back