advertisement

Recording and editing vinyl on iMac

I use my tascam solid state location recorder to record off vinyl. 24 bit at 96k or 48k depending on how much top end detail I want from the music I'm recording, ie a punk tune vs a classical record etc. I use the tape out from my naim to the mini jack analog in on the recorder, I can't do off tape monitoring so getting the correct levels can be difficult sometimes. The files are then transfered to protools on my mac where they are normalised and top and tailed etc then into a folder. The tascam convertor are OK but not as great as some burl or apogee but I'm not into it that much

I've used a Zoom H6 for this. I'm not sure there's any real advantage to using a portable recorder over an audio interface unless you'll also be using it for location recording so it just comes down to personal preference. The converters in a portable recorder generally won't be as good as a decent audio interface unless you splash out for something like a MixPre but how much that matters in practice is debatable.

I think the actual recording is the easy bit - it's the topping and tailing, declicking and labelling that is the fiddly bit. And you'll most likely be doing that in software whatever device you choose.

An audio interface will work nicely. Something like a Focusrite - the 4i4 gives you line inputs on the rear which likely bypass the mic pres. Use VinylStudio software for which there is a nominal one off fee. That'll handle most of the artwork, track listings and breaks. Audio over ethernet is expensive.

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download.aspx

FWIW I've tested the 2i2 "third gen" as a way to record and it works very well. Made a simple (but RISC OS) audio measurement prog that uses it as a bench analyser.

FWIW I've tested the 2i2 "third gen" as a way to record and it works very well. Made a simple (but RISC OS) audio measurement prog that uses it as a bench analyser.

Yes, those mic pres are pretty clean. I don't think that the software switch is a clean bypass though, it wasn't on the gen 2 anyway

FWIW I'd normally prefer the Benchmark ADCs and DACs as they have *much* better level controls for setting accurately and repeatedly. But for general use, particularly with a laptop on battery, the 2i2 seems good. Main problem with it is that Studiospares keep sending me unwanted emails to promote things!

Back in 1996, I used my Townshend Avalon to move 90 minutes worth of 45rpm singles to DCC. It worked really well and I was really pleased with the results.

Cleaning the vinyl, setting levels etc. it took 3 &1/2 days. I swore never again unless the music wasn’t available any other way.

Good luck with it, it really is a labour of love.

Back in 1996, I used my Townshend Avalon to move 90 minutes worth of 45rpm singles to DCC. It worked really well and I was really pleased with the results.

Cleaning the vinyl, setting levels etc. it took 3 &1/2 days. I swore never again unless the music wasn’t available any other way.

Good luck with it, it really is a labour of love.
I intend to start with those singles that are not available as downloads and then deal with those LPs I would really miss.

Downloaded Audacity
Waiting for a Behringer UMC204hd interface to be delivered
Lined up some singles to get a handle on things
just need to get a 5m USB cable

Downloaded Audacity
Waiting for a Behringer UMC204hd interface to be delivered
Lined up some singles to get a handle on things
just need to get a 5m USB cable

5m is pretty much at the limit for a USB cable. If you're having problems be suspicious there first.

5m is pretty much at the limit for a USB cable. If you're have problems be suspicious there first.
Thanks for the warning. I've just measured things and I could get away with 3m given the length of my XLR cables - it will just look pig ugly :)

Rather than spend on an expensive interface I simply used the one in the iMac -mine has a mic /line input (not sure if the newer ones do) It gave excellent results. All I did was take the tape out from my pre-amp (or you could go directly out of the phono stage but you will have to rely on the speakers in the iMac to monitor) and recorded using audacity (which is free). All you will need to buy is a long phono to 3.5mm cable (if your phono stage has phono connectors).
The downside? although you get very good recordings at 96K it is a pain as others have said to clean everything up and I gave up because of that.

Rather than spend on an expensive interface I simply used the one in the iMac -mine has a mic /line input (not sure if the newer ones do) It gave excellent results. All I did was take the tape out from my pre-amp (or you could go directly out of the phono stage but you will have to rely on the speakers in the iMac to monitor) and recorded using audacity (which is free). All you will need to buy is a long phono to 3.5mm cable (if your phono stage has phono connectors).
The downside? although you get very good recordings at 96K it is a pain as others have said to clean everything up and I gave up because of that.
My 2014 iMac has no analogue inputs.

In terms of the silly price system I run, the Behringer would not be considered expensive. If it comes to that, in terms of Qobuz et al download prices, just converting my singles will be cost-effective (if they were all available, which they're not).

The longterm objective is to continue to be able to autonomously access my music whether I'm able to use a turntable or not.

Ah, Sorry I was getting confused (it's an age thing)......I was thinking of my Mac Mini which I also use as a NAS

Yesterday I borrowed 50 of Audioquest Forest USB. Today I received my Behringer UMC204hd interface today and have already done one vinyl album in 24/192 just to see.
Audacity seems to be overly endowed with bells and whistles for me so I'm trying out the trial version of Vinylstudio.

In case anyone's interested, on the Behringer I've set all the push buttons to "out" and all the pots to minimum which gives me enough level to adjust recording gain in the software.

First album was a 1979 release for which the downloads available all show signs of poor tape conservation.

Finally mailed it, I think.

SME 20/2a + AT 33 PTG >
Simaudio Moon 810LP >
Audio Synthesis ProPASSION single input, dual-mono, passive resistor ladder volume control >
Behringer UMC804JD >
iMac running Vinylstudio pro

Cables: Audioquest Forest USB, Chord Signature tonearm lead and two pairs of Kondo Vc from the spares cupboard. A pair of Neutrik RCA female to XLR male adaptors.

The crux of the matter was to avoid using the "PAD" buttons on the Behringer to bring the phono stage input below saturation level, and to record with some headroom, of course (between +3dB and -2.5dB is the range I've chosen).
For those who; like me; are unfamiliar with the graphics of the software the resultant picture should have the spikes not quite touching the top and bottom lines :)

My thanks to my friend for the long term loan of the ProPASSION and the USB lead.

advertisement

Back