advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

A new update ....

Both the Soul / Dance Reckless and the Rock / Pop / Jazz Reckless in Berwick Street, Soho, That London have shut up shop, quite literally!

The stock seems to still be in there, but the shutters are down, and local knowledge in Sister Ray said that have been like that for a while.

I know the one in Islington has gone, can any Camden, London residents report on the one in Camden High Street?

Life is very tough for the 2nd hand record shop owner - as soon as the landlord puts a rent review in, that usually kills them off.

DS

OTD - Rhythm & Sound - See Mi Yah - (Hallucinator mix)

About 2 minutes drive from Hampton Court Palace is Langley Records, lots of stock and worth a look if ever you're in that neck of the woods. Boxes of them lying around the place they have...

The Camden branch of Reckless closed some months ago. Surprised to hear Berwick St may have gone the same way.

I'm happy to report however that the Camden MVE has spawned a sister shop on the other side of the road and remains a fine place to pick up cheapo unwanted promo copies of the more 'challenging' releases on Planet Mu, Rephlex et al.

Closed down on Thursday. Not entirely surprising given their optimistic pricing (and grading): their second-hand CDs were frequently more expensive than new discs. I used to pop in to the Camden shop after my haircut but never bought much. The Berwick Street shop was good for dance 12"s although alot of their stock had lead a hard life.

PaulfromCamden,

A most apposite name!

Thanks for confirming my expectations. Visits to Camden won't be a varied now :Sigh:

Get that Universal Indicator 1+2 while you can!

DS

OTT - Best of Top Gear

Shame about Berwick Street Reckless - was a stones throw from there tonight but only had time to pop in to On The Beat down Hanway Street. Still loads of stock, highish prices but eminently haggleable!

Cheers

Rich

Camden's lost a lot of shops but there's still hope!

All Ages Records on Pratt St is I believe the only dedicated punk rock record shop in London. I feel very old indeed when I see the other punters there...

Sounds that Swing on Inverness St is the bestest garage rock record shop you ever! Most folks miss it because it's hidden away another block past The Good Mixer. Not a genre I know much about at all but I'll occasionally pop in and buy a Billy Childish 7" for the experience :)

There's also a smattering of house music places and the gloriously unreconstructed Acid Techno sounds that can be heard issuing from Access All Areas at the bottom of Kentish Town!

Beats Workin', Sclater St (I think) just off the top of Brick Lane is my latest discovery. Ambience from habitat circa 1970, records from the collections of people that obviously never play them. Last visit netted the Koln Concerts (£6), Hot Tuna's first (£5) and American Gothic by David Ackles (£7) all MINT vinyl. And they give you free poly covers with each LP.

Beats Workin', Sclater St (I think) just off the top of Brick Lane is my latest discovery. Ambience from habitat circa 1970, records from the collections of people that obviously never play them. Last visit netted the Koln Concerts (£6), Hot Tuna's first (£5) and American Gothic by David Ackles (£7) all MINT vinyl. And they give you free poly covers with each LP.

I saw that the one lunch time last week but it was closed. How recent have you seen it open?

Cheers

Rich

Cool - reckon he must have had a lie-in when I tried. Will have another look next time I'm down.

Cheers

Rich

Another fatality to report.

Fopp (see elsewhere)

and

Archive Records, Adldlestone, Surrey. This was one of the most chaotic old fashioned store, with piles of records and magazines on every horizontal and vertical surface, They must have had 100,000 records in there, but filed in the cunning system that only the owner understood, so after stretching and crouching for hours at a time, I could only come up with a handful of items to buy. Check out time was also interesting, at nothing was marked up, and a lot of stock seemed to be on sale or return from the owners, so every record had to be entered in a big ledger book with the coloured dot meaning "This one belongs to Martin', red dot, means it was 'Bill's' etc.. I purchased some of Phil Manzanera's records there. I hope the stuff got returnd to the owner before the landlords moved in........

DS

Further obits:

I read in the poorly researched ST article today that

a) Fopp records are very sucessful and have opened a lot more branches !

b) The brilliant Covert Records in Brighton have shut up shop - this one surprises me, as the shop was tiny - more a corridor than a shop, and always seemed busy when I was there. But probably not enough customers to pay 3 wages out of.

c) Rough Trade are opening in Brick Lane, but we knew that already.

DS

OTD - Dave Clarke - Southside (Surgeon remix)

Looks like Access All Areas has closed. Or at moved. It's not where it was when I passed there last week anyway.

There is a new dance place just off Camden High St but when I popped in to shelter from the rain and asked about the new Aphex/Tuss record I got first a blank look, then a copy of Windowlicker, then the dreaded question "Er, do you like breaks?"

What worries me about music sales in general, is that the diversity is going.
'When I were a lad'.. there was a shop in Nottm that sold everything from Jazz, blues, pop, classical etc, to novelty stuff, humour and even recordings of bird song and steam engines. (They also sold decent hi-fi.. for the time) Whilst the average punter might not go in looking for this stuff, the odd discovery or impulse purchase was possible.

Mull

Likewise Heinz in Hereford sold hifi records and musical instruments I think - as did Duck Son and Pinker in Swindon until relatively recently. When I was in uni in Aberystwyth we had at least one good and completely independent record shop - which although run by a middleaged woman (or so she appeared to me at the time) actually knew what was going on for the Oz and IT readers of the time. But the joy of joys was to journey over the mountains and up the coast to Porth Madog to Cob Records where all manner of good things were to be had. Some hours later with student grants (those were the days!) much depleted but weighed down with records we wobbled our overloaded way back to Aber' for 'enhanced' listening sessions.
Was in Porth Madog last year and saw that Cob is still going - didn't venture in though for fear of shattering the memory.

Guy

Somebody needs to do this with more contributions...

Not bad, but very patchy coverage - loads and loads of town, cities and shops missed out

Glasgow - Monorail, Avalanche, RTE, Rob's etc.
Nottingham - Selectadisc !
Reading - Sound Machine
Bristol - Bang Bang, Spin, Music Exchange
Brighton - Accross the Tracks, Borderline, Rounder, Wax Tracks etc.
Leicester - Ultima Thule, The one in the Square I can't name..
Birmingham - Tempest, MVE, Hard to Find
Oxford - Avid (for a while)

I could go on .... etc. etc.

DS

CD shops - even the largest in the world (Tower in Shibuya, apparently) have vanishingly little of anything I find remotely interesting. I spent a few hours looking for something today and came away with a measly 4 CDs

Joel,

Would you be able to recommend some good places to buy vinyl (new and/or used) in Tokyo? Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to go scouting for vinyl shops these days (two young kids) so I'd be grateful for any recommendations. Otherwise it's going to have to be Disk Union and mail order...

Cheers,

Adrian

advertisement

Back