advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

dss said:
Another reason not to go to Croydon then!

Well given that it was the ONLY reason to go to Croydon in the first place ;)

Sertiously though, I'm rather shocked. Mind you they were always a bit pricey. Might just be that the market (for which read ebay) has em rumbled.

shake some action was a good record shop in croydon. i think it closed several years ago now.

So here in Austin, Texas (on the other side of the pond) the record shops are doing well, we have well over 10 LP shops in a town of 700,000 people. I have been so amazed by the shops that I decided to make a website documenting all the shops in the Central Texas area, you can check it out at:

http://www.ctxgrooves.com

A further update from the last few days.

Dead, as in completely shut - Capital One in Marlow, turning into a carpet and flooring shop, but no vinyl (fnar fnar)

Gone but can't find new site - Rare Groove in Bournemouth (alleged to have moved elsewhere, but no sign up in the empty shop - anyone know where it has gone?)

Just about to go - Black Cat Music in Dorchester - very bleak looking closing down sale, very thin selection.

Rumoured to be going - Replay in Bristol, Park Street (Can anyone confirm?)

What a poor week for music shopping!

Still, I got a good load of records in Avid in Bournemouth and Chunes in Weymouth.

DS

For visitors to the Kent coast, I have to add
B Side The C Side of Herne Bay
Not shopped there for a couple of years, but always found an extensive collection of 2nd hand vinyl. Never came away empty handed.

When I was a worker in The Smoke, I used to shop at Cheapo Cheapo. Always found the staff to be arrogant b*****ds, without exception.

Also (fairly) recently gone ...

Cassady's, York. When I lived in York a few years back it had 4 shops selling second hand vinyl. Always loads of bargains in Riverside Records but sadly they are long since departed. Just one shop now on Gillygate. Don't recall the name but stupidly expensive and nothing there of note anyway.

Archers, Leicester. Will be greatly missed. There were 3 used vinyl shops in Leicester a couple of years ago. Now just one as far as I know.

For anyone visiting Orlando, Florida on holiday this summer ...

Can I recommend "Rock & Roll Heaven" (http://www.rock-n-rollheaven.com for directions). Piles of vinyl at prices which to us in the UK are amazingly low. Your challenge is getting it all home !

Interesting that the American attitude to vinyl seems to be "there is a limited demand so we will sell it cheaply to stimulate further sales" whereas the British attitude is all too often "only a few poor fools still want this old technology so lets fleece them".

You could probably buy a ton of LPs and have them securely shipped to the UK cheap enough. The main problem would be the Customs officers, unfortunately.

Rod,

perhaps you could do in each of my stateside shopping trips - buy an extra suitcase and fill it with vinyl, then go back on a quiet flight!

DS

Borderline, Rounder, Wax Factor and more than a few other little hidden outlets too.
Even HMV and Virgin have some vinyl.

All in Brighton and easily found when the London scum aren't crowding the streets in the North Laine and the Lanes.

Sir,

I am a Berkshire scum, and I still put Brighton in the top 4 record shopping cities in the UK (after London, Manchester, and Glasgow).

As well as those you mention there is the magnificent Covert Records, and the other second hand shops, although 2 or 3 of these have been lost over the recent years (Like Dance Music Resource, Bang Bang, and that one run by the bloke who does the record fairs down there in Sydney Street, and the house music one just down the road from Borderline.)

Still Brighton is always worth a visit, and allows a sea vista and a walk on the Pier, and plenty of choice in the restaurants. Mind you I always seem to pick a time when all the be-badged nutters from some conference on Multi faith community action for disabled donkeys pour out from the Brighton Centre for feeding.

DS

Another obit to post.

Scorpion Records in High Wycombe, where I must have bought '00s of records was closed down (after 29 years trading).

Nothing can stand in the way of urban regeneration.

DS

OTD - Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

Hi,

when I was in Brighton in '87, there was this very interesting woody-allen-sort-of-bloke selling s/h classical vinyl, his knowledge was amazing. I doubt the record shop still exists (it was somewhere around East Street or something). Its disappearance would be a pity.

recordshoplp5.jpg

Do you have any information about it/him ? Thanks.

I don't recognise him, but what you describe resembles the Wax Factor shop, which is always staffed by weasel featured humourless types, who eye all the customers with suspicion, and refuse to barter.

"These are my precious things, I don't want you touching my precious things..."

DS

OTD -Nothing, it is in bits!

Smething I forgot to mention before.

Discussing this issue with Steg, who runs Counter Culture in High Wycombe, who reckons there are only about 100 independent record shops left in the UK! (I assume this means record shops selling new vinyl / CDs, not s/h material)

If this is right it is a BAD THING.

DS

a new store just opened in Norwich city centre, i think it's called revolutions (or something similar). a cursory scan revealed that pretty much their entire stock is aimed at teenagers and students.

fair play to them though.

Cheese,

There is a shop matching your description in Brighton - "The Record Album" - it used to be in Queens Road, but moved to a smaller outlet in Terminus Road.
(Exit Brighton Station turn right - head towards the Cafe at the bottom of the hill, turn right up the curvy hill and it is a one minute walk!)

Nice to hear that, even though the very thought of moving an entire record shop (and he had an immense quantity) makes me shiver...

Borderline, Rounder, Wax Factor and more than a few other little hidden outlets too.
Even HMV and Virgin have some vinyl.

All in Brighton and easily found when the London scum aren't crowding the streets in the North Laine and the Lanes.
'Across the Tracks' 110 Gloucester road used to be excellent.

The record collector in broomhill sheffield used to have a fine selection of everything vinyl,do'nt know if they still do it.

advertisement

Back